Am I missing something?

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Am I missing something?

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Or, are you guys not posting much music lately (read: forever)? Jam with Tapes thread hasn't been updated in a long time so... just what in the hell are you guys doing if not making musics?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Am I missing something?

Postby soundwave106 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Well, I haz a Bandcamp for my ambient and (lately more) orchestral type of things. You can see that the last piece I've completed was... *drumroll*... in late Februrary. :facepalm:

Actually, I've been too busy practicing for a Ramones Tribute thingy... will be appearing twice, both with the usual punk band and a side thing with my wife doing slow piano covers. So that's my excuse... :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 02, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm definitely guilty of not posting anything new. I just haven't had my head in that space for a while. :idk:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 pm

I had to listen to that on my iPhone since that site is blocked here at work, but nice man! Sounds pretty darn epic to me :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 pm

I think around here we all go through waves of productivity and being social. Just ups and downs of life I guess.

Me personally, I took the last year off from pretty much everything as my grad school stuff was drawing to a close. But I'm done now and looking forward getting back into the swing of a few things I've had to put on the back burner.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 pm

I've had a lot of crap on in RL that's really got in the way of making music, mostly boring shit to do with college and looking for work... and spending far too much time at the gym just to calm down.

Seem to have got back into making a track again, so maybe something from me in the not too distant future.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I've been busy with house stuff but also been in songwriting mode. I have 12 songs ready to record, and since I can't easily get out of a mindset, I'm writing some more... and as you probably know I just write stuff first and then record it later.

In a couple of months I will have another kid showing yup (if he doesn't show up early) so we've been also getting the new baby room ready... for my latest production *badump* *tish*
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 pm

EXCUSES!

Seriously though, I've been in a creative slump lately too, not to mention my own life getting in the way of fun music tiems. Boredom has struck at work today and was in the mood to hear music stuffs from you all. :poke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I had to listen to that on my iPhone since that site is blocked here at work, but nice man! Sounds pretty darn epic to me :)

Thanks. :)

MetroSonus wrote:I think around here we all go through waves of productivity and being social. Just ups and downs of life I guess.

For us hobbyists, Real Life does too often indeed get in the way. Even beyond that, inspiration sometimes comes in waves and when uninspired, I mainly record little ditties that I just can't finish. (That was definitely me in March, I started a few tracks but upon further review I thought they either sucked or I didn't know where to go with it from there.).

I sometimes wonder how pro musicians manage the inspiration part. It's got to suck if its your career and you are in writer's block mode. It's also got to suck if you are in a band of any success and you are inspired more by some genre type that is not what you are known for.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 03, 2013 3:45 am

Well, my current excuses are:

1 - I can never find any canned drum parts that I like, and I can't play what I want on a keyboard, so I need either a good edrum kit or a Zendrum, neither of which is remotely on the budget radar at this time. Or I can learn to program the Arduino finger drum thingy I'm tinkering with, but I'm having trouble finding time and motivation to do that.

2 - My good audio interface crapped out. I have other interfaces but they're teh sux because I got spoiled by the MOTU's near zero latency.

3 - Other stupid stuffs interfere. Like, this weekend I have to attempt to trap and relocate a skunk who's chosen to make his digs under one of my rentals.

4 - I'z lazy lol
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri May 03, 2013 5:06 am

Plink Floyd wrote:canned drums

wat r u looking for ? like acoustic drums ? electric ones ?

awesome acoustic drums:
- native instruments abbey roads (vintage *and* modern)
- slate digital drums

awesome electric drums:
- spark
- tremor

awesome drum patterns
- stylus rmx

DIY approach (my approach):
- download drum sounds (one shots, loops, etc) from rekkerd.org, cyberworm, gold baby, Roland clan (tr samples), driven machine drums, etc etc etc
- arrange in sequencer
- ??????
- profit

these are just off the top of my head if there's a more specific sound your going for with drum synthesis, midi loops, jazzy ish, etc I can go into my collection and try to figure out where I found it

WAR
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 am

You are a good one, Sir GWar! I Thank You!

The things is, if I'm thinking of a noodle I want to record, I already have the drum part in my head just the way I want it. I'm a bit of a drummer anyway, so that just makes me picky I guess.

I'm that way about bass lines too. I would just rather play it than use someone else's patterns.

But as you can see, this mindset rather limits my productivity lol.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri May 03, 2013 6:03 am

I'm not good at creating my own drum patterns. They all come out sounding the same. I get a lot of mileage out of Stylus RMX; there's a TON of good loops in it. However, I sometimes get bored with it, because all the loops are 4/4, but at least the grooves vary between clockwork 4/4 and heavy swing. But, I wish there were some 3/4, 6/8 and even some oddballs like maybe 5/4 or 7/4.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 03, 2013 6:27 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I get a lot of mileage out of Stylus RMX
Yes. Yes you do. :thu:

But I know exactly what you mean about the sameyness of machine generated patts. Maybe we listened to too much prog in our formative years...

ElectricPuppy wrote:I'm not good at creating my own drum patterns
Maybe you've just never had the right machine to input them. Regular keyboards suk for that, I think, and so do all the pad boxes I've tried. A regular kit (acoustic or elec) is best. I don't think I've ever heard you say if you've spent much time with a regular drum trap? I know you've bass geetared.

You should totally join forces with me to create the world's first affordable 48 pad midi drum controller.

Teh ElectricPlinker, we'll call it.

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 03, 2013 6:32 am

selfinflikted wrote:Boredom has struck at work today and was in the mood to hear music stuffs from you all. :poke:
Well if boredom is all, have some old lol biscuits that will waste your time:

http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad12/plinkfloyd2/

The pw is LOL1986
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 03, 2013 11:41 am

selfinflikted wrote:Or, are you guys not posting much music lately (read: forever)? Jam with Tapes thread hasn't been updated in a long time so... just what in the hell are you guys doing if not making musics?

Well, I had a few dozen tunes online once upon a time, but the place I was using decided not to support audio, and eventually deleted everything.

I have a band camp account, but as of yet I haven't gone in and uploaded from scratch, and subsequently stopped putting up new stuff. It's on the list, I assure you, but it's so time consuming, that I apparently choose to blow it off instead.

I really should get it all back up, inside-of-the-internet.......

The JWT thread is still relevant, and the Mods should move gregwar a posts there :)
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Just use a dropbox or some other cloud for storing your new tunes and link here. Tis what I do, and it's teh free of course.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Also, all you drummers: I have one of these dinky things

I use it to come up with my patterns for the most part, then use Boss drum module to make the sounds for recording. The electronic set is kinda bobo, but it's hands on for doing fast work if something pops into my head.

Also, that picture is too damn big.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Boredom has struck at work today and was in the mood to hear music stuffs from you all. :poke:
Well if boredom is all, have some old lol biscuits that will waste your time:

http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad12/plinkfloyd2/

The pw is LOL1986

Them moves!

And dat mullet
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 pm

I got Dropbox, but I usually use it for collaborating because if the limited space. I share folders with about six different people and need to keep some free space.

Here is a work in progress though, the bass line was tacked on at the end of the session just to see what it would sound like. I think we are actually going to start from scratch with a different drum beat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mmoz08kdmmtl ... %20mix.mp3

Zomg posting from a phone is teh sucks. Maybe I'll try a proper link laters
ClavAnother

Next

Return to The Hang Out.