Pet Peeves

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Pet Peeves

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm

My pet peeves are:

. instruments that are out of tune

. voices that are out of tune

. autotune.

It seems contradictory, because the latter seeks to fix the former. But to me they are all equally annoying :)

Image

yes I'm bored
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12173
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Autotune is in many ways is like steroids. Nothing wrong really with a little, subtle usage that nobody notices (for instance, testosterone replacement therapy and other medical uses for steroids or subtle pitch correction if there's no way for another take for vocals).

The T-Pain autotune abuse on the other hand can be thought of as the equivalent of the steroid freaks of Muscle and Fitness mag.
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 pm

The problem is, I can hear it even when it's not used like T-Pain.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12173
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 pm

christianrock wrote:The problem is, I can hear it even when it's not used like T-Pain.


Yeah, I can too, but I'm thinking that you could probably use it okay if you *only* apply it to the noticeably off notes. Standard usage seems to be to just slap it on the track and call it a day regardless of whether the vocal is off or not. To me, that gives vocals a "jumpy" "stepped" affect that is actually in some ways a little more annoying than the T-Pain effect.

"Jumpy" autotune is the only way I can save my vocals, however. :lol: (In live bands, I do not sing. Because as a musician, I know better than to sing.)

(Some of today's "pop stars" for all I know might "sing" about as well as I do.)
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Autotune, how I hate thee.

Also, this in lyrics: "uh huh... uh huh... uh huh... here we go... uh huh..."
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 pm

:idk:

I still like AutoTune teh News...
User avatar
ClavAnother
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Well, yes, but that's different. That's intentional, and further points out the ridiculousness of over-Autotuned crap. I'm talking about the "artists" that use it in all seriousness.
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:12 am

lol, it's the only way I can stomach Hiliry Clintins voice... I actually wish she always sounded like that. Then I would think she was teh cool.
User avatar
ClavAnother
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:22 am

christianrock wrote:The problem is, I can hear it even when it's not used like T-Pain.
Me too. As a gimmick, it's OK when used sparingly. Any more, and it becomes blatant tripe and the trademark of the 'me too' performers.

And oh, dear friends! Think of the vast majority of people who don't even know it exists. If they've even noticed that it sounds weird, they assume their favorite 'singers' can just do that with their voices. I have actually had this conversation with more than one person.*

*True story.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6329
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:22 am

One of my pet peeves are chromatic instruments that have no sustain: xylophone*, marimba, steel drums, and mandolin. I just don't like 'em.

For some reason, I can occasionally appreciate a well played banjo. For that matter, I can usually appreciate most well played instruments.

*Vibraharp I like, but it has sustain. It even has a sustain pedal. And tremolo.**

**The tremolo can be turned on or off with a handy switch. One of three fixed speeds can be easily selected by moving the drive belt to the correct pulley. I always thought it would be better if it had a variable two speed trem, like teh Leslie.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6329
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am

I can't stand the xylophone, but I like the same lines done on a Rhodes

Part of the reason I love marimba, is because it has sustain

I like steel drums just because of the tone

When you say vibraharp, I wonder if you mean vibraphone... If not , I don't know.... But do you like vibraslap?


Oh and onetime I put a groove Holmes record through my 31h because he was playing too straight.
User avatar
ClavAnother
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:50 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I can't stand the xylophone, but I like the same lines done on a Rhodes


Cheap xylophones are clunky, but the more professional versions have a nice ring to them that I don't mind personally. :idk:

I have noticed that in classical music, though, that once the celesta was invented, that seemed to overtake the glockenspiel / orchestral bells in concert pieces. Could it be... the controllable sustain?
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
christianrock wrote:o me, that gives vocals a "jumpy" "stepped" affect that is actually in some ways a little more annoying than the T-Pain effect.


Yeah, I think the T-pain like stuff, when used here and there, can actually bring some emotion to a song and is a cool effect like a chorus or flange would be.

But the "set it and leave it on" auto-tune gets on my nerves.

ClavAnother wrote::idk:

I still like AutoTune teh News...


They're still around??

Plink Floyd wrote:One of my pet peeves are chromatic instruments that have no sustain: xylophone*, marimba, steel drums, and mandolin. I just don't like 'em.


That's an odd one :lol: I think they're fine when used within their purpose.

Bell orchestras, on the other hand... :bro:
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12173
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 pm

ClavAnother wrote:When you say vibraharp, I wonder if you mean vibraphone... If not , I don't know.... But do you like vibraslap?
I believe the terms are interchangeable, but vibraphone is probably more common.

I think vibraslap, like other gimmicks, occasionally has it's place. I mean, "Crazy Train" wouldn't be the same without it, eh wot?


ClavAnother wrote:Part of the reason I love marimba, is because it has sustain
Nuh uh. They go 'bonk', just like xylophone.


soundwave106 wrote:Cheap xylophones are clunky, but the more professional versions have a nice ring to them that I don't mind personally.
Well, pet peeves are just that; personal foibles at best. I just don't like 'em. I thinks it's a shame that so many otherwise perfectly good Spyro Gyra songs are polluted by the pernicious plonking.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6329
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Eh? They have resonator tubes and that nice soft ring. Maybe you're thinking of the marimbaslap.
User avatar
ClavAnother
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 am

OK, I'm more schooled nao. I'll admit that I wasn't entirely informed about the diff between xly and marim. Some xyls have tubes, but not as big as the marimbs. The mari does indeed sound superior. But it still doesn't have enough sustain for my taste. The vibes have enough sus to require a damper pedal, which means it pwns all other stick driven bonkophones.

-

Question for all: Are all of the above instruments adequately emulated by a good rompler? My opinion is that they are. There's little complexity in the sound and no articulation to worry about.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6329
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

Lol, clavanother's pet peeve = romplers.
User avatar
ClavAnother
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 am

I though it was when you though Groove Holmes was straight?

-

So, you'll not romple under any circumstances?

-

I'm always peevish when I hear people playing xylophone samples on romplers.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6329
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby gregwar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm

xylophones, electric pianos, fm bells with noisy artifacts, etc are some of my favs ! as I've said before my music can be described as glass bells with lots of bass

most romplers i've seen & heard don't have the depth of software samplers like kontakt. the best glassy bell sounds are from sonic couture (who do kontakt libraries but might have other formats).

the pro version of the Balinese gamelan is quite epic, so is glass works, skidaw stones, grand marimba, deconstructed/broken wurli, ddr toy piano, etc and are all multi-sampled pro quality libraries :thumbsup;
User avatar
gregwar
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am

Plink Floyd wrote:Question for all: Are all of the above instruments adequately emulated by a good rompler? My opinion is that they are. There's little complexity in the sound and no articulation to worry about.


Sampled versions are often "good enough" IMHO for what you need, but not quite the real thing ever.

Good xyls are close to a grand and you can even get a $3500 glockenspiel (with sustain pedal!). True, for the price of a sample lib you can get a toy...

I am not good enough to get a grant from some uber rich type so I use sample libs. That is my stance. :tounge:
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Next

Return to The Hang Out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests