Guitar pedals

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Guitar pedals

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:45 am

midinut wrote:I haz a POD X3 & da Variax geetar to go wif it.
Those things look like way plenty much fun you bet!
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Yeah I'm probably a bit of a guitar snob but I hate those digital emulations. They just don't sound good in a mix, to my ears, and are pretty uninspiring to play.

Give me a cheap old Fender amp any day over one of those things...

/old geezer
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

christianrock wrote:Yeah I'm probably a bit of a guitar snob but I hate those digital emulations. They just don't sound good in a mix, to my ears, and are pretty uninspiring to play.
Give me a cheap old Fender amp any day over one of those things...
/old geezer

I wasn't gonna say it but... Yep.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Seriously, even my cheap ass freebie DOD overdrive from 1982 sounds better through my broken Fender amp than any digital emulation I've ever heard.

And here I am calling Metro the grumpy old man in the other thread :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 pm

christianrock wrote:And here I am calling Metro the grumpy old man in the other thread :lol:

But YOU have a minivan. :grin:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:And here I am calling Metro the grumpy old man in the other thread :lol:

OH SNAP

/thread
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 pm

selfinflikted wrote:

NOT YET :grin:

The stick shift german passat still survives!!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm

christianrock wrote:The stick shift german passat still survives!!

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 pm

I haven't used it in forever but I have an older Ibanez Tube King. Tan colored. I like it. I never had an amp with good distortion so back when I played guitar that pedal was my main distortion.
Veracohr

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Yeah I'm familiar with those. Good pedals, apparently designed by the guy that owned Tubeworks.

The new ones are totally different pedals though, they go more for that "creamy" distorted sound. More like a "wall of sound" almost.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am

I never thought we'd be fighting like rabbits and ducks about geetar pedals.

What's up with that, Doc?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:43 pm

We're not fighting. I'm just telling you guys how it is :grin:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 pm

cr have you heard of fractal audio's axe effects 2 ? i've never tried one but apparently its one of the best digital amp emulations available. another pretty sweet box is the fireface 800's guitar input. it has an overdrive/saturation that sounds amazing on guitar, not sure if digital or analog :idk:

i had a cheap korg pandora effects pedal back in the day that covered all the effects that i didn't have a dedicated pedal for. it was meh but did the job, especially live. but then i got a kaoss pad 3, ensoniq dp4 and adrenalinn 3 (along with a book case full of analog goodness) and i have to say digital effects are pretty sweet too.

IMG_0509 by greg_war, on Flickr
(the ds1 is a keeley mod and the mt-2 is a broken/lo-fi mod)

i'd like to get an b:assmaster module for the germanium sound and some day an eventide box (whether its space or one of their racks) as i've heard many times over they sound much better than the native plug-ins (not sure about tdm).
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Not only have I heard of it, I have a friend who actually works for Fractal Audio. Though I haven't talked to him in a good while.

So yeah I've heard plenty of it and it sounds good but at the end of the day it's just another digital emulation. If it was priced like a POD, sure I'd give it a try. But it's a bit too much money. For that amount of money there's other things I'd buy.

How do you like that Metal Muff? Sounds heavy but sweet and open.

Right now I'm still undecided on a distortion (Silver Dragon or Tube King), but I think I'll add an overdrive as well - a Biyang X-Drive probably. Best TS808 tone I've heard lately with great bass response.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:51 am

gregwar wrote:cr have you heard of fractal audio's axe effects 2 ? i've never tried one but apparently its one of the best digital amp emulations available. another pretty sweet box is the fireface 800's guitar input. it has an overdrive/saturation that sounds amazing on guitar, not sure if digital or analog :idk:

i had a cheap korg pandora effects pedal back in the day that covered all the effects that i didn't have a dedicated pedal for. it was meh but did the job, especially live. but then i got a kaoss pad 3, ensoniq dp4 and adrenalinn 3 (along with a book case full of analog goodness) and i have to say digital effects are pretty sweet too.

IMG_0509 by greg_war, on Flickr
(the ds1 is a keeley mod and the mt-2 is a broken/lo-fi mod)

i'd like to get an b:assmaster module for the germanium sound and some day an eventide box (whether its space or one of their racks) as i've heard many times over they sound much better than the native plug-ins (not sure about tdm).

Love the micro synthesizer, wish I never sold mine. But, is that a noise suppressor??!!? :mad:.?
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:21 am

the metal muff is sweet. my guitarist hated it but you can dial in anything from lite clipping to brutal face melting tones. on bass it can suck out the low end, I might mod it some day or get a bass muff

yes it's a noise suppressor. I messed around with a tele for a bit before deciding on a jag. traded it for a boss tuner. my fav guitar/head tones are tele & sunnO))), sg & marshal (choob), and jag & orange, all with generic Marshall 4x10s altho a heavy duty orange cab would be deadly

I've played Mesa dual and triple recs on guitar and their pretty amazing, same with hiwatt, and fender and vox combo amps but I prolly would limit it to 3 heads if I was a total guitar slut
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:47 am

The NS jab was a reference to Plink giving me shit earlier in the thread... I have one too. But you know how it goes: if you have to explain a joke it's not funny :idk:
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Twasn't meant to be shit. Not srs shit, anyway.

:wave:

Besides, you still haven't told about the secret weapon. Or at least poast a clip.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Haven't made a clip yet. Also haven't told anyone about the secret weapon because its a secret
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:03 pm

christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.