Guitar pedals

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Guitar pedals

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:54 pm

So. For now, I decided I want a Jekyll and Hyde pedal from Visual Sound. I think it nails the Tube Screamer sound on the left channel, plus the "bass boost" sounds great and helps you sound thick without having to use super-heavy strings. And it has a noise reduction circuit that sounds good. Seems to sustain pretty well.
And the right channel distortion is pretty good for heavier sounds. The EQ on it is wonderful.

Also, regarding secrets. I do have a secret weapon. I don't mind telling you guys what it is because chances are, you can't get it (the guy that made them only made a few and died years ago). Plus it might not work for most people, but the way I set it up I think it is absolutely awesome. I didn't use it on my CD because I was going for either heavy guitars or acoustic guitars - not clean or overdriven guitars. But in my next CD it will be used a lot.

It's not really a compressor per se. On the notes it does compress, it seems to add a breakup - almost like a very soft yet dynamic overdrive (note, I use high output humbuckers in all of my guitars. It remains very clean with single coils). I also use it as a slight boost and it works great for that. And on top of that, it seems to add 2nd harmonics without weakening the fundamental of the note - kind of like an aural exciter that sounds completely natural. So to me, it's like having 4 pedals in one - compression, slight overdrive/breakup, boost and aural exciter. I don't know if all of that was planned when the guy did this pedal, but it did turn out that way.

There are no demos of it anywhere that I know of... I should probably make one.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:39 am

DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:29 pm

I have GAS for a Carl Martin Quattro now :mad:

AND I decided to go with 2-3 pedals at least. Selling some stuff, and I'm probably getting me a Route 66 from Visual Sounds (compressor plus overdrive - the compressor will be used more as a clean boost), plus the Ibanez Tube King I've been wanting from the beginning. The rocktron probably won't fit in my plans. Also, I probably won't sell my George Dennis phaser if I can get it to work. I already got my Korg Toneworks Delay to work (kinda, it doesn't save presets but at least I get a sound...). Then if I get my 2nd wah to work I'll be on my way to filling up my bigger pedal board :)

So pedalboard will be
Geetarz -> Franken-wah -> Real McCoy wah -> Aramat Compressor -> Route 66 Dual Comp/OD -> Ibanez Tube King HT -> George Dennis Phaser -> Chorus (TBD) -> Memory Boy analog delay -> Korg Toneworks Digital Delay pedal -> Fender Super 60 amp.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Is tht a head or a combo?
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:35 pm

It's a combo. I just changed the preamp tubes to american Phillips - all 3 just cuz I had them laying around, and the original reverb tube sucked. Reverb is now lush like I like it :thu:
Lots of people don't like the original speaker but so far it sounds good to me.

And speaking of pedals. How can anyone not want this:

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:48 am

Now here's a pedalboard:

It used to be in some dude named doN's closet as part of a Frankenpipe organ thingy.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm

That was... a big Boss board :facepalm:

Speaking of delays, I know which one I will add to my analog delay - the Hardwire DL-8. It's a Delay and Looper and the looper looks very neat - it won't start looping until you start playing. Nifty. Plus it has tap tempo and a ton of options for the regular delay. True bypass too. My likey.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 pm

So I went ahead and bought the Tube King.

Yea it's huge.

I decided not to go with the Route 66 that I was planning on putting next to it. I think I'll get the Hardwire Overdrive (CM-2) instead. It's really two TS type pedals in one, I think it will be very useful.

So many pedals, so little time (and money)...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:46 am

What color is the LED mounted under that tube?
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am

ClavAnother wrote:What color is the LED mounted under that tube?

Yellow.

But srsly, that filament really does heat up to a proper glow. You just can't see it very well in that type of toob because the heater's mostly surrounded by the plate. Of which the plate, btw, isn't being starved either. I'm guessing B+ is around 100V.

Tis proper kit, thinks I.

:thu:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Plink, 100v is correct. I applaud your EE skills. You always impress with your geekage.

That pedal and the Blackstar tube pedals actually run at full voltage on the plates - the Blackstars at a full 300v. No starved plate, use-tube-as-clipping-diodes design here on any of those pedals.
I have to say 100v seems to be sufficient for getting a good sound out of the tube. The Blackstars didn't sound better to me and they cost twice as much.
They all still probably have a LED behind it as 12AX7s don't have a good glow to them...

Trust me, I've been doing my homework on pedals. The Tube King is as good as it gets for that kind of sound. Though I have to admit I haven't played it, none of my local stores carry it.

Another interesting design is the Hardwires. They're not tube, but they have high voltage rails on all their pedals. Which means they pull a LOT of voltage for a solid state design, but I think the sound is better than most boutique pedals. I'm definitely getting a few of those in the near future. I have 60 bucks burning in my Paypal account so I'm just waiting for a CM-2 or SC-2 to show up at the right price.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm

grats new pedal. Now post something so we can hear it :D
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

That might be a little while... I gotta do basic tracks for the drummer first and I don't think those will have lots of distortion in them.

Hey SI, have you looked at the TC Electronics Nova System? Best of both worlds... analog overdrive/distortion, and studio quality effects. Miles ahead of those modeling digital distortions. And they're going for about 200 bucks on Ebay! That's crazy for this much stuff. It's even giving me an itch...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 pm

christianrock wrote:That might be a little while... I gotta do basic tracks for the drummer first and I don't think those will have lots of distortion in them.

Hey SI, have you looked at the TC Electronics Nova System? Best of both worlds... analog overdrive/distortion, and studio quality effects. Miles ahead of those modeling digital distortions. And they're going for about 200 bucks on Ebay! That's crazy for this much stuff. It's even giving me an itch...

I haven't looked at it, but since you mention it, I will!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I haven't looked at it, but since you mention it, I will!

:expecting sound of mind blowing:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 pm

christianrock wrote::expecting sound of mind blowing:

Hit the pause button on that. I can't properly check it out until I get home from work, where I have access to non-censored intarwebs.

This message will self-destruct.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Can you do youtube?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Only at home. Well, not only, just not at work.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm

NPD!!!

I put my Tube King to the task yesterday.

Some reviewers were right when they said this pedal doesn't sound like a pedal. It sounds like the preamp section of a good tube amp.

It was a bit hard to dial in (both pedal and amp) but once I did I'm very pleased. Now I need the TS type pedal in front of it and it will be killer. I missed on the pedal I wanted this morning because a guy came in to talk about work right at the time the auction ended. Bummer. But there's other pedals out there, I just need to wait until Friday for the next auction to end...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 pm

I might be getting a gristlizer for general synth mangling

I'd like to mount it in a 4u diy modular panel with a couple other effd up effects
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.