Guitar pedals

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Guitar pedals

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 pm

So I was going to get the Hardwire overdrive next, but ended up spending the money on this:

Now I need to start saving pennies and selling stuff again, I have decided that instead of the Hardwire overdrive I'll get the MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D. which sounds like perfection to me...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Someone's GAS has been acting up lately, eh? :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 am

christianrock wrote:...moar moar MOAR...
Pedalwhore, IS THAT YOU??!!
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

You rang? :grin:

And I'm not done yet...

But no, I'm no pedalwhore. Go to thegearpage and see some of those pedal boards... you'll be like...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Got my reverb/delay pedal yesterday. Took a good pic of my pedalboard as it stands now but stupid phone isn't sending out pictures for some reason. Can't connect via USB either.

Great sounds, great sounds. The delay in particular is absolutely gorgeous. Reverbs are cool too, I've been using the Hall setting for some more ambient chords.

Got my Mesa Boogie to work for me by swapping all the preamp tubes. Did the same with the Fender and it's really singing now. I'm going to keep both amps because you never know when you'll need a spare. I might end up selling the Hughes and Kettner head... it's an absolutely phenomenal amp (6 channels of pure tube goodness) but I just don't use that big and heavy thing anymore...

So my plan is working well, keeping amps for their clean channel only, even the Mesa Boogie - even with NOS preamp tubes I can't get the distortion and overdrive to sound nearly as good as my Ibanez pedal. Maybe I should try the Blackstar pedal in the future... but for now I think all I need is an MXR overdrive for rhythms and for stacking, and I'll be all set.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Finally manged to...

So here's the pedalboard

Here's the amps. They call the Super 60 a Fender that is not a Fender... totally different design from what came before and after... though I do think it has some very Fender-ish cleans. Overdrive channel sucks, but I won't use it anyway.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Niiiiice. :thu: Can we hear something from this little pedal party? :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Yeah I suppose that's next, right? :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

christianrock wrote:Yeah I suppose that's next, right? :)

Yes. Yes it is. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Tell me about your Mesa.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 pm

What is there to know?

People either like or don't like Mesas. They have a very particular overdriven tone and are not known for their cleans. Yet people will pay top dollar for them.

It's LOUD. Both those amps are loud. But I gotta say since throwing out all those 6 chinese Mesa Boogie branded 12AX7s and swapping them for 3 Phillips NOS and 3 Sovtek 12AX7LPS the sound has improved quite a bit, especially the cleans. It's running some military russian EL84s (with a different name) that are supposed to have more headroom and are louder than the regular EL84s. I have like 12 more spares of those I got off Ebay from one of those old USSR countries a couple years ago.

Those DCs (Dual Calibers) are interesting in that they have a lot of the versatility of the Mark series (there's additional switches in the back for even more versatility...). But they were nowhere near as expensive. The EQ is necessary because they're so mid heavy. Even the manual suggests the use of a V-Shaped EQ! They are said to be "Rectifier inspired" but I don't hear it. They're more like Little Marks IVs.

I suppose their overdrive/distortion sound isn't bad at all, and I'm just a little bit spoiled by what I have.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Kinda funny, here are my main amps. The Fender is basically from the same era as yours, it's the Dual Showman SR which is a red-knob "Teh Twin" head. The Mesa is a MKIII that I recently transplanted from a combo into a headshell. This Mesa has wonderful cleans though, and of course it is happy to provide any amount of dirt on demand. This is the best amp I have ever used in my life.

P.S. that's a little Blues Jr. hiding in the back. I hear a lot of people knock that amp, but I think it's great. Mine has no mods. Harp sounds good through it, Clavinet sounds amazing through it. guitar works good.
Last edited by ClavAnother on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 am

christianrock wrote:Image

I remember the Super 60 being offered as a head back in the day. Was it identical to the combo? Do you have accessible speaker outputs that you can plug into a cab?

I remember having mild GAS for that amp when it came out, but I was more interested in the Power Chorus, Pro 185, and ultimately the "Teh Twin"

P.S. what's with the 'boots' on the Mesa?
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah I can hook up with an 8ohm speaker or cabinet. I've hooked it up to one of my 16ohm cabinets but it was a bit too quiet and was probably not a good idea, so I quickly turned it off :)

I thought you had either had or played a Super 60 head before. But yeah, it came in 3 versions: Super 60 head, Super 112 (later just called Super 60 as you see in my pic), and the Super 210 which is 60 watts into 2 10in Eminence. Mine's an Eminence as well and I see no reason to change it.

The cleans are Fender-ish but probably more clear than other Fenders because this Amp might be their simplest design. As someone said on another forum, Fender made the simplest, cheapest amp possible to compete with Peavey who was gaining into their market share at the time, and ended up making something pretty special. The designer (who is the 70's Music Man designer, and not Paul Rivera...) said he was told that 3 12AX7s and 2 6L6s was all he was going to get because of costs so he had to design an amp around that and make it cheap.

So the cleans have a very transparent yet pleasing sound that even works very well with acoustic guitars. The reverb, again for cost reasons, is a half-box but I haven't felt the need to swap it for a full size reverb as some others did. I don't do surf music, so moderate reverb is good for me.

Where the cost reduction thing actually compromised a bit is on the overdrive channel. First, it's louder than the clean channel and a bit hard to balance at times, but is not always a bad thing. If you've got the amp really loud, then your cleans can still be clean while your overdrive is pouring overdrive on the phase inverter/splitter tube. Remember that in these types of designs, the last 12ax7 is actually part of the power section. That's why I now have a Mullard in there :) A lot of people crank up their amps and say "ooooooh look at that power tube distortion". They're mostly just overdriving the 12ax7 phase inverter. Which is fine, it gives that great sound. It just isn't what people think it is.

Anyway, the overdrive channel is all diodes as with only 2 12ax7s there wasn't much tube triodes left for the overdrive. Just the triode off one of the tubes, the rest is all diodes. But surprisingly, if you like bluesy break-up sounds, it sounds pretty wonderful. It's when you actually get to overdrive (which is my case) it's kind of useless - too shrill, too buzzy. But at lower levels it has a wonderful tube screamer meets Mesa Mark III sound (a drop in bass like a tube screamer but a bump in mids that is more Mesa voiced than tube screamer voiced). With my strat and single coils it was very very easy to get David Gilmour's sounds from the "The Wall" album. Low overdrive is that good, so I was probably a bit harsh on the overdrive channel in earlier posts :o

So a word of advice - these are really cheap amps but you gotta be prepared to throw out the cheap horrible chinese preamp tubes and get something better. You don't have to use 100 dollars worth of tubes like I did - 2 Phillips JAN 12ax7s and one Mullard 12AT7. You can probably invest just half of that in new good quality tubes, but you HAVE to use a 12AT7 in the phase inverter position, trust me, I could not get a decent sound and volume out of this thing until I put the Mullard in there.

Oh and the Super 60 is usually described by people who like it, as the "half Twin". As in, very Twin-like cleans can be had in this thing.

TLDR: go read it all you lazy punk

TLDR 2: Super 60s are cool but I don't see why you would downsize to one if you already have a better, more powerful, more versatile Fender.
Last edited by christianrock on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:37 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Kinda funny, here are my main amps. The Fender is basically from the same era as yours, it's the Dual Showman SR which is a red-knob "Teh Twin" head. The Mesa is a MKIII that I recently transplanted from a combo into a headshell. This Mesa has wonderful cleans though, and of course it is happy to provide any amount of dirt on demand. This is the best amp I have ever used in my life.

P.S. that's a little Blues Jr. hiding in the back. I hear a lot of people knock that amp, but I think it's great. Mine has no mods. Harp sounds good through it, Clavinet sounds amazing through it. guitar works good.

So you basically have an expensive version of my rig. Including your semi-hollow PRS against my ES335 copy :)

You swapped the knobs on the Fender? What else did you do to your amps?

Blues Jr's are awesome. I wouldn't mind having one for recording, or maybe a Super Champ. If it worked for Gilmour...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:12 pm

I actually read it CR :mad:

Anyway, my rig wasn't expensive, I'm really good at buying gear. I keep and eagle eye out for deals.

Also I have hollowbody, not the semi.

I'm not looking to down grade, just saying I wanted one when it came out when I was a kid.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Cool.

I look for deals too, and sometimes I find them. That DC3 cost me 200 dollars. Same for the Super 60. My Hughes and Kettner, well it was free :) which is probably why I never sold it, though it's a pain to carry around and for that reason I have not used it in probably 2 or 3 years.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:11 pm

christianrock wrote:
You swapped the knobs on the Fender? What else did you do to your amps?

Actually it is factory, the final year 1993 offered black knobs and black grills. I didn't really do anything unless you count the logo on the cab coming from an old solid state Yale Reverb. I bought the cab on CL for $180 sans logo. I actually wish I could find another Dual Showman cab even though having a full stack if that amp is purely ridiculous.

I think I got the Mesa cab on CL as well for $200. The speakers alone are worth more than that.
ClavAnother

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.