Guitar pedals

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Guitar pedals

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Yessir. So my Fender Super 60 overdrive channel went kaput (probably the diodes failed or something). Not worth fixing unless I sell the amp - I didn't like that overdrive/distortion much anyway. But the Fender's clean sounds are LUSH.

So I've been playing it with my old busted DOD FX50 Overdrive Preamp pedal (from 1982 I think). Which gives me a pretty good overdrive sound for 70s/early 80s sounds.

But my GAS has been directed at pedals. I hadn't worried too much about overdrive/distortion pedals since my other amps have GREAT overdrive channels - I finally found the two that I loved the most in that regard, which are my Hughes and Kettner, and my Mesa Boogie. But for a small, as portable as possible setup, with the best cleans and overdrive possible, I'm looking into adding a pedal to my setup.

If you guys thought that we have a lot of options when it comes to synths, you have no idea what goes on in the guitar pedals world :lol: there's probably as many different pedals as there are guitar players...

Right now I'm deciding between an Ibanez Tube King Tube Distortion (the red one) and the Fulltone OCD. At different points I had decided to get a Satchurator, and then a Marshall Guv'nor Plus, before deciding they weren't for me. I've been listening to a ton of demos lately, including single pedals that cost several hundred dollars.

selfinflikted and plink are probably the only ones that will understand what I'm going through :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: Guitar pedals

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 am

I understand completely.

You clearly need to give one of your cows to me.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:24 am

Im thinking i'd rather just get the space pedal than the blackhole plugin. I heard some demos and I think software is really weak in this area. I'd like to see if I could get a small loop going from VST outs to outboard effects, tape deck ect and back into a live channel for recording.

they also make a lexicon box for 300$ that also works as a USB/DSP plugin.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I understand completely.

You clearly need to give one of your cows to me.

ok, i lol'd :lol:

Metro: oh yeah I'm totally avoiding software for guitars AND bass. Not worth the hassle. It sounds good by itself but sucks in a mix.

Guitar + pedals + amp + mic baby
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 am

DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 am

christianrock wrote:selfinflikted and plink are probably the only ones that will understand what I'm going through :lol:

I feel your pain, fren. The pedal world is overwhelming to say THE LEAST. I always wanted to make a pedal called a "filth box." I just think that'd be a great pedal name.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 am

i've tried dozens of distortion pedals but only tried the boss od1 overdrive and a seymour duncan choob 'classic' one (its like orange-chrome color and has 2 channels). other than that for overdrive on my bass i just cranked the input stage on my ampeg svt classic = fuzzy boom

the only pedal that interests me atm on bass would be a vintage rat distortion or the $200 newer edition (altho i'm sure the $100 version is almost exactly the same). me and my friends made some pedals in the 90s and a bass amp. i think to get really into it i'd make some dope pedals or mod the ones i have like my fuzz face

i would like to plug my bass guitar into a modular synth and mess around with the low end but i see effects loops as similar. i've even made tracks that are just pedals plugged into eachother and the ground loop and other noise as the sound source
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:42 am

I have settled here for the last 6 or 8 months. Starts with a PRS hollowbody, ends with a Mesa MKIII. The blue trapezoid thing switches the Mesa. Also, instead of deciding on one OD, I chose two; first one with zero gain, second with full gain - and of course the option if both simultaneously (plus the occasional both and the lead channel... And less occasionally both plus lead plus R2!).

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 am

Oh and a guy in one of my bands has ( or had) the OCD, I remember liking it.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 am

Hey, what's that noise suppressor doin in there?

ROCK N ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION! RAAGH!!!

-

I used to run my fake clav (ARP 4 Voice Piano) through a Morley Wah for a while. I miss that pedal. The main reason I like them better than Crybabies is the longer pedal travel. But the last one I looked at closely still had an incandescent bulb for the photo cell thingy. Sheesh, 70's much?

Most of my current pedal needs are met with NI Guitar Rig 3. Sounds pretty good to my zinc ears, but I wouldn't like to try to mess with it live.

Maybe I'm just easy, but I like Line Six stuff. I had one of their modeling bass amps that, among other things, did a really good Taurus emu. But Real Guitarists™ seem to scoff. What thinks you lot?
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 am

Secret weapon. It's function is not what it seems on the surface.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 am

While we are on the subject of pedals, to all of those that go on about true bypass and tone sucking, I have one turn of phrase that keeps coming to mind:

bwwahaahaaahaahaaa but I won't say it out loud.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 am

ClavAnother wrote:Secret weapon. It's function is not what it seems on the surface.
Wut then? Gated Cheese?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:55 pm

gregwar wrote:i've tried dozens of distortion pedals but only tried the boss od1 overdrive and a seymour duncan choob 'classic' one (its like orange-chrome color and has 2 channels). other than that for overdrive on my bass i just cranked the input stage on my ampeg svt classic = fuzzy boom

Yeah that Seymour Duncan (the twin tube) was on my list early on, because there's a used one on sale locally for a good price.
That OD1 overdrive was my sound when I was starting out. I could get some good Guns n Roses type sounds out of it when I followed it with an EQ pedal.

the only pedal that interests me atm on bass would be a vintage rat distortion or the $200 newer edition (altho i'm sure the $100 version is almost exactly the same). me and my friends made some pedals in the 90s and a bass amp. i think to get really into it i'd make some dope pedals or mod the ones i have like my fuzz face

I've tinkered with pedals before, too. About 7 years ago, I took a Vox wah I didn't like, stripped out the internals, bought a Fulltone potentiometer, a true bypass kit for wah pedals, and the board off an old busted Thomas Organ wah that I got from a friend years ago. A year or two later I changed one resistor to fix a problem where it was dropping a bit in volume when the effect was engaged (true bypass circuits can cause that).

All the while I was thinking I was that dog in the pic that says "LOL I have no idea what I'm doing". But somehow I made it work. It's the wah I use for the lead on this track: https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_540708144 (at 2:55 if you wanna skip the rest...)

That will probably be as far as I'll go in pedal design...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I have settled here for the last 6 or 8 months. Starts with a PRS hollowbody, ends with a Mesa MKIII. The blue trapezoid thing switches the Mesa. Also, instead of deciding on one OD, I chose two; first one with zero gain, second with full gain - and of course the option if both simultaneously (plus the occasional both and the lead channel... And less occasionally both plus lead plus R2!).

Now that is a true man's pedalboard. Kudos to you sir. Keeley compressor, tube screamers, CE-2 analog chorus, Phase90, digital + analog delay, you got it all.

What's that black box with the one switch and the small screen? I'm assuming it's the tuna.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

ClavAnother wrote:While we are on the subject of pedals, to all of those that go on about true bypass and tone sucking, I have one turn of phrase that keeps coming to mind:

bwwahaahaaahaahaaa but I won't say it out loud.

To each their own. I sold a Digitech Whammy pedal as fast as humanly possible when I heard that the sound went through the AD and DA with the pedal disengaged. That was nowhere in the manual but I could hear it. It wasn't even a good AD/DA, the sound lost bass and treble and got really mushy. I've also sold other pedals that I thought sucked the life out of my dry signal. And it was the reason why I made that wah pedal out of bits and pieces - the Thomas Organ Crybaby sounded fine when turned on but it sucked the life out of my clean sounds when it was off. So I yanked its little heart out and made a new pedal with it, in the process losing a Vox wah completely because I didn't like its wah sound.

On the other hand, Boss pedals aren't true bypass but they don't really damage the original analog signal. I've sold the ones I had but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Same with the Korg Toneworks Delay pedal that was my favorite pedal in the whole world but it's sitting in a corner, busted. Sounded beautiful but was made like crap.

Anyways. I'll try and take a picture of my setup, but here's what I have currently:

. Aramat compressor (very rare, the dude that made them died a few years back. very Knopfler-like sound, think Sultains of Swing)
. Thomas Organ - based wah
. Real McCoy wah (yes I love wahs so I have two flavors)
. EHX Tube Zipper (currently off the setup)
. DOD FX50 Overdrive Preamp (totally busted but still works)
. EHX Small Clone chorus
. EHX Memory Toy delay (will be substituted by a Memory Man Deluxe at some point)
. George Dennis phaser (currently off the setup)

Having heard tons of demos, including a comparison with the Blackheart tube pedals, I'm prettty sure that the newer Ibanez Tube King Distortion will be my sound, when I don't have the room for my Hughes and Kettner Triamp head and 2x10/1x15, of course.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:15 pm

christianrock wrote:
Now that is a true man's pedalboard. Kudos to you sir. Keeley compressor, tube screamers, CE-2 analog chorus, Phase90, digital + analog delay, you got it all

What's that black box with the one switch and the small screen? I'm assuming it's the tuna.

Indeed, I have the CE2 and the P90 in my keyboard pedalboard as well. As to the black box, you are correct it is the Korg pitchblack. I actually used a 440 tuning fork for more than 25 years exclusively until getting that thing last year. It's chromatic and does a good job, you can see it on a dark stage and it seems accurate enough.

For the record, My remarks against getting caught up in the true bypass fad are solely based in my own personal results of getting the best tone I have found in my entire life with no concern whatsoever as to the power supplies, cabling, switching, or choice of products. I am thankful that I found what works for me, and understand that it likely does not work for anyone else :)
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey CR, did you have the red whammy, or the black whammy II? I hear that the WII was a POS.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 pm

I just realized that that chorus and digital delay have been in my pedalboard since 1987. I did have to replace a tact switch in the delay two years ago and it acts funny sometimes, but they have been troopers for many many jams.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm

This is interadesting topic, pleased continue.

I have exactly ONE pedal: A purple Boss thing, I think it's a flanger, I don't remember. I don't even remember why I got it in the first place. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to The Hang Out.