Bipalium Kewense

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Bipalium Kewense

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

So, when I was leaving the house for work this morning, I found TWO ABOMINATIONS on my front porch.

(The toe of my shoe is in frame for reference - I wear a size 11)

These MONSTERS are an affront to humanity and their populations should be SMOTE TO HELL. They are "bipalium kewense" and apparently eat earthworms AND EACH OTHER. I almost shit my pants when I saw them. They were over a foot long each, but by the time I had gotten my phone prepared to take the pic, they had scrunched up a bit due to the porch lights warming up and getting brighter(?). Apparently, they don't like light, hellspawns as they are.

DISGUSTIPATED.

ETA: They apparently only show themselves after lots of rain, and it's been raining here heavily for over 12 hours now with no sign of slowing. I hope this does not mean MORE of these ... things ... are going to appear. Also, you can't kill them by chopping them up BECAUSE SATAN JUST SPAWNS MORE OF THESE CREATURES FROM THE SEGMENTS. OMGZORZ.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Bipalium Kewense

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm

we have no such thing here... I haven't seen an earthworm in years :eek: We get those stink horns and mushrooms after it rains. They smell like burnt ass. Apparently, they grow from spores that get stuck into the mulch that predominately comes from south america.

I don't get why we have to import mulch or fruit. You'd think we'd have enough locally..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

MetroSonus wrote:we have no such thing here...

According to (reliable?) internet sources, they are found throughout the continental U.S.

BE AFRAID, fren.

MetroSonus wrote:We get those stink horns and mushrooms after it rains. They smell like burnt ass.

Trying to imagine what burnt ass smells like, but I know it can't be good. I have never heard of stinkhorns, so we must not have them here. According to (trusted) Wikipedia, they are only found in tropical climates. What do they look like? We have those weird mushroom thingies here that look like a big ball of poop, but if you kick it, it explodes into a plume of doodoo-brown dust. I don't think they stink, though. Ya'll got those?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm

they look like pensises. :idk:

I once suffered a bout of embarrassment as we exited my sister's apartment and my my mom said "one can smell one of those penis plants!"

apparently they come in both circumcised and uncircumcised styles. who knew nature was so sexy? and smelly?

I'm in central florida and I've never seen worms in the wild. I've dug many holes, gone on nature walks ect and haven't seen any :idk: I mean, when I was in NY, they were a dime a dozen. In any shovel full of dirt you were bound to at least have found one. I wonder though if there isn't enough nutrients in the sandy soil here.

When I lived in my parents ritzy, country club lifestyling neighbor hood that had the fancy trucked in sod that was made out of topsoil, after it rained there were tons of worms. outside of that though, I haven't seen any. Maybe they prefer the north part. My guess is they had lain eggs in the top soil or something.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Well Florida ground is just sand, not dirt. I don't think any kind of worms like to live in sand.

NOT THAT THIS WOULD KEEP THESE HELL SPAWNS FROM TOTALLY TERRORIZING YOU

And ahaha to the "plume of dust" mushrooms. I think I remember them from when I lived around Metro's lair.

Oh and I lived in Tampa for 3 1/2 years and I've never seen one of those penis shrooms.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I once suffered a bout of embarrassment as we exited my sister's apartment and my my mom said "one can smell one of those penis plants!"

Ha! .. thanks mom.

Remember: Size doesn't matter!

MetroSonus wrote:I'm in central florida and I've never seen worms in the wild. I've dug many holes, gone on nature walks ect and haven't seen any :idk: I mean, when I was in NY, they were a dime a dozen. In any shovel full of dirt you were bound to at least have found one. I wonder though if there isn't enough nutrients in the sandy soil here.

Oh yea, you're probably right about the soil. I didn't think of that. :facepalm:

MetroSonus wrote:When I lived in my parents ritzy, country club lifestyling neighbor hood that had the fancy trucked in sod that was made out of topsoil, after it rained there were tons of worms. outside of that though, I haven't seen any. Maybe they prefer the north part. My guess is they had lain eggs in the top soil or something.

All I know is I was scared. I can just imagine one of them crawling up my nose while I sleep or something. Like on those mystery diagnosis shows.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

selfinflikted wrote:All I know is I was scared. I can just imagine one of them crawling up my nose while I sleep or something. Like on those mystery diagnosis shows.

You should be more scared of cockroaches. Did you know that they'll find a way of walking over you when you are asleep, without waking you up? They're the ones that are able to eat your snot.

Don't sleep in houses that have cock roaches. Unless you want your nose clean in the morning.

NSFW: show
Last edited by christianrock on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

All I know is I was scared. I can just imagine one of them crawling up my nose while I sleep or something. Like on those mystery diagnosis shows.

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong or something, :lol: it really just struck me that I hadn't seen a worm in the last decade or so and I was curious why.

now palmetto bugs, we have plenty of those. those are like cockroaches with wings.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Don't some species of roaches *have* wings? I think I've seen them. And the flutter of their wings makes a TERRIFYING noise. HAET roaches. HAET. We have a quarterly pest control that comes out that I don't mind having to pay a little extra for. The only roach I've ever seen at the house has been a dead one. I will ask him about spraying the yard for those worms, too. I want their ruin smoted on the mountainside. I will see the birds feast on their entrails! MWAHAHAHAHA
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm

christianrock wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:You should be more scared of cockroaches. Did you know that they'll find a way of walking over you when you are asleep, without waking you up? They're the ones that are able to eat your snot.

I may NEVER SLEEP AGAIN. Thanks, fren. THANKS
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 pm

my work here is done
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm

and the average house cockroach does fly. and yes it's pretty scary.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:30 pm

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm

MetroSonus wrote:now palmetto bugs, we have plenty of those. those are like cockroaches with wings.

Had to look it up. I hate any kind of cockroach, this one included. AND it flies. DOUBLE WHAMMY.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm

and this is why you don't leave food out overnight.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:44 pm

see how they walk on you and you have no idea?

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm

But let's go back to the Bipalium. Interesting tidbit from wikipedia:

"All species of Bipalium are hermaphroditic, but Bipalium kewense has rarely been observed using sexual reproduction as a primary means of reproduction.[2] Asexual fragmentation is the primary means of reproduction in B. kewense in temperate regions."
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:29 pm

christianrock wrote:see how they walk on you and you have no idea?

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?! :freak:

hehe
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I'm in central florida and I've never seen worms in the wild. I've dug many holes, gone on nature walks ect and haven't seen any :idk: I mean, when I was in NY, they were a dime a dozen. In any shovel full of dirt you were bound to at least have found one. I wonder though if there isn't enough nutrients in the sandy soil here.

That's pretty much it... I've seen them in Florida but only in nicely mulched soil or garden soil.

The most common cockroach I've seen in Florida is the American cockroach. All of this species can fly once they grow up. Luckily most of the ones I see indoors (which since I've caulked / sealed the house fairly okay isn't that often) are smaller ones that haven't fully grown up. Swatting flying cockroaches is a bitch.

Most common mushroom I've seen in my yard is the "green-spored parasol". Unfortunately a poisonous mushroom... a pity it can't be something cool and tasty.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Just last month when I was in Brazil - I kid you not - I was at a pizza place one evening, and a cockroach came through the open window. I think I was the only one that saw it. It was on the side of a piece of furniture for a minute or so, then as a waiter walked by it quickly flew on his back. He was walking around and that thing was walking on top of him and the people starting noticing. Eventually it went to the back of his head and he felt something and swatted it off him. It went to hide under the armoire, and people went back to eating.

TONS of flying roaches in Brazil. They look just like the American roach - and that's what they might be. Except I think they're a livelier shade of red. Anyway, it's not common to see them interact with people like that, but it didn't seem like it bothered anyone. I was amused.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Next

Return to The Hang Out.