So.. Apple Tv

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: So.. Apple Tv

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 am

I hate being forced to watch at least three minutes of advertising, previews, and legal boilerplate at the beginning of a DVD movie which I paid for. So I remove it. I know, I didn't really 'buy' the movie, just the right to watch it in the manner dictated by a greedy corporation. Sosueme.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 pm

I strip it out when i rip the dvd. I hardly ever keep the bonus content.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 pm

MetroSonus wrote:yea there you go :lol: and see, yet still, that's a broadcast license. One more into the mix!

here's some trivia.. did you know the sentry guns in aliens two are only found in the TV edit? The scene is probably on the DVD or something as a bonus (I haven't checked) by why would the tv edit get it and not the movie or rental version?

I've often wondered if it wasn't intended to be in the final movie, but maybe cut out something not suitable for tv and used that as a replacement, since they had the cut scene lying around, for time purposes.

I have the Alien box set, and IIRC, the director says that the studio ordered the cuts (always at the mercy of "the studio.") It did make it back into the "special edition director's cut" though, which is what the box set contains. And yes, I watch director's commentary tracks. And no, I'm not ashamed. :P HUEG Alien(s) fan. HUEG.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I tend not to be a fan of director cuts. Most of the time the way I like the movie is the way I remembered seeing it in the theater. But of course, on movies that I really like, I go through the disc with a comb and watch all the cut scenes and dialogue.

I'm still curious why it made the TV cut though.. It must have been swapped out for something else then. :idk: but I too am a huge aliens fan.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:22 pm

gregwar wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Also, Greg, you make excellent points. I have also wondered the same things. There must be goings ons behind the scenes that we don't know about...

ya i don't want to sound like a spoiled brat or anything a la louis ck (everything's amazing and nobody's happy) but really why can't i do iMessage, facetime, and play angry birds on apple tv ?

nintendo's wiiU, microsoft smart glass and i'm sure a host of others are competing in the so-called '2 screen' space. this is something apple could easily get right and be hugely successful with tight os/hardware integration, etc.

the typical tv/living room/bedroom is set up with fairly similar viewing distances and whatnot. why not add a camera to apple tv with slightly specialized software (like a short part of the config process)

the apps, i message, facetime, etc are not licensing issues and well within apple's control to make happen and would increase the value of the device ten fold or more.

apple describes it as a 'hobby' but really mobile me, i cloud, ping and other 'services' are neglected due to the focus on hardware, which is generally incremental on their biggest products like iPhone and ipad.

ironically the computer room and mobile space like commuting is the real hobby and the living room is front and centre for a lot of consumers and a way bigger pie imho

Well, technically you can do all that (angry birds, facetime, etc) on apple tv. You simply set your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, or whatever you have to "mirror" onto the tv screen and, boom! Two-screen deliciousness ala Wii U, pretty much exactly as you describe. None of the apps to do those things are native on the ATV, but with mirroring it's a snap to do. Works pretty well, too, as far as I can tell. We bought iPad minis with some of our delicious government cheese, and we love them! Works great with the ATV, mirroring, and all that.

As an aside, I downloaded Garage Band for iPad this weekend, and while it isn't as robust as it could be, it is GREAT for getting ideas down quickly before my feeble mind forgets. I really, REALLY, like that app.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I tend not to be a fan of director cuts. Most of the time the way I like the movie is the way I remembered seeing it in the theater. But of course, on movies that I really like, I go through the disc with a comb and watch all the cut scenes and dialogue.

I'm still curious why it made the TV cut though.. It must have been swapped out for something else then. :idk: but I too am a huge aliens fan.

Yes, I know! I'm still extremely jealous that I didn't think of LV-426 to use before you did!! Best. Name. Ever.

I'm kinda the opposite, thought. I am a big fan of directors' cuts, because I'm interested in seeing their vision of the film, the way "it should be."

I'm still looking around for a Richard Donner cut of Superman II. Do want that.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I hate being forced to watch at least three minutes of advertising, previews, and legal boilerplate at the beginning of a DVD movie which I paid for. So I remove it. I know, I didn't really 'buy' the movie, just the right to watch it in the manner dictated by a greedy corporation. Sosueme.

I KNOW! And most of the time when you try to hit the menu button to bypass all the crud, you get the "This operation is unavailable".. although, I have found you can most times use the skip or fast forward buttons. :mad:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 pm

and you know where I see that the most? Kids movies.

I think that should be illegal. Making kids watch commercials for toys and other movies. that's ten shades of wrong. I dont think i've come across an non kids movie that will let you use the dvd menu button.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:14 pm

MetroSonus wrote:and you know where I see that the most? Kids movies.

I think that should be illegal. Making kids watch commercials for toys and other movies. that's ten shades of wrong. I dont think i've come across an non kids movie that won't let you use the dvd menu button.

Yea, it's crap. But I'm sure it works.

Scenario:

Kid sees preview commercial on dvd.

Kid: "Mommy, Daddy! I WANT THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE"

Parent: UGH.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I hate being forced to watch at least three minutes of advertising, previews, and legal boilerplate at the beginning of a DVD movie which I paid for. So I remove it. I know, I didn't really 'buy' the movie, just the right to watch it in the manner dictated by a greedy corporation. Sosueme.

MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I'm still looking around for a Richard Donner cut of Superman II. Do want that.

Uh, that might be one you want to try before you buy.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:48 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:I'm still looking around for a Richard Donner cut of Superman II. Do want that.

Uh, that might be one you want to try before you buy.

Really? I've never heard a dissenting opinion on that. Of course, I don't lurk in Superman forums or anything, but from what I've gleaned, all the fans seem to heap loads of praise on that particular cut.

Care to share your opinion? Are you a big fan? (I am/was as a child)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, I am no film buff, but as a kid I thought superman ii was a great movie. Way better than the other two. So now some thirty years later I see this directors cut that is supposed to be wonderful and I watch it thinking it will be everything I loved as a kid plus so much more. Now mind you, I didn't even know who donner was and had to look him up on the Internet. After reading about him, I figured this will be great to see how this movie was supposed to be or whatever, but as I sat down to enjoy it (btw I had not seen SII in decades) , I was immediately thinking 'what the hell am I watching right now?'. So I think they say that they got rid of him after filming some if the scenes, I don't really remember, but basically it's a no brainer to me that they dumped him after seeing that piece of crap.

Now that I said that I feel like a jerk, but don't let me sway you, just let me warn those who have not seen it: it is not superman II.

I did go back and watch the real SII after in order to cancel out seeing this one.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Odd. Donner, if I'm not mistaken, was the director respondible for the first Superman film - which was fantastic, imo. Also, he shot Superman I and II *simultaneously* but, after a quarrel with one of the producers, he was booted from the franchise by the films' independent financiers. Donner had shot about 75% of the film at the time he was 86'ed. Granted, I read all that long ago and may not be true, but I just assumed that since the first film was so good, and Donner had directed that one, that his cut of the second film would be good as well.

I dunno how I'd try before I buy, though. It doesn't seem to be rentable or anything. Poop. :(
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Well, technically you can do all that (angry birds, facetime, etc) on apple tv. You simply set your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, or whatever you have to "mirror" onto the tv screen and, boom! Two-screen deliciousness ala Wii U, pretty much exactly as you describe. None of the apps to do those things are native on the ATV, but with mirroring it's a snap to do

ya i dropped the '2 screen' experience without really explaining it. mirroring could be a form of it but really its about additional content, using your phone as a controller and changing depending on the context. same with if you're watching walking dead on tv and go to the website on your laptop on the couch its not really the true 2 screens i'm talking about as the electronics aren't 'aware' of each other and in sync.

take shazam for example. a commercial comes on tv for the us marines or army (i can't remember which it was). u shazam it on your ipad/android or whatevs and it brings up additional info. another example would be a baseball app on your tablet where you're reading about your teams highlights then you click a video and it plays on the tv while you still see all the stats on the ipad.

by 'context' and 'awareness' it knows stats are better to read and flip through on the tablet and video better to watch on tv. wiiU and smart glass take this concept even further. if you're playing a game on wiiU and for example walk up to a door or chest that needs the lock picked on the tv. then on the controller the lock picking pins or whatevs come up on the touch screen and your try to jimmy it.

here's the xbox smart glass promo:

the coolest thing about smart glass is afaik it works on iOS, android, win phone, bbm, etc where i could see apple going the more walled garden route.

since apple makes iphones, macs, apple tv, ipads and itunes i see no reason why they can't be the leaders in this sort of experience. apple tv would then help them sell all the other gadgets as they would all work together on a much deeper level. its the idea of everything being 'connected' taken to its logical end and they're doing it with macs, iphones, iCloud, etc just not with apple tv yet
Last edited by gregwar on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. Yea, the ATV isn't there yet, but perhaps with updates and such in the future, Apple will catch up.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 pm

si how does mirroring work with 2+ devices ?

is it like sync'ing to a blu tooth car deck where the first time its sketchy or just like changing channels and really smooth ? also is there much latency ? like if you're playing in garage band on the tv do u think there would be a lag between the sound and the tv screen ?

i was thinking of getting an apple tv for my living room as my mac mini is in the bedroom. the with mirroring i could load a logic session in the living room. i just walked across my place and the wireless keyboard has enough range (i assume the trackpad would too).

there might be another iteration of the apple tv coming in the spring but people are saying those rumors are false and it won't happen until the fall. nobody except apple really knows what the next apple tv will do but i hope they bring in some of the ideas in this thread.
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 pm

gregwar wrote:si how does mirroring work with 2+ devices ?

is it like sync'ing to a blu tooth car deck where the first time its sketchy or just like changing channels and really smooth ? also is there much latency ? like if you're playing in garage band on the tv do u think there would be a lag between the sound and the tv screen ?

i was thinking of getting an apple tv for my living room as my mac mini is in the bedroom. the with mirroring i could load a logic session in the living room. i just walked across my place and the wireless keyboard has enough range (i assume the trackpad would too).

there might be another iteration of the apple tv coming in the spring but people are saying those rumors are false and it won't happen until the fall. nobody except apple really knows what the next apple tv will do but i hope they bring in some of the ideas in this thread.

The only time mirroring has been sketchy, is when there was a lot of interference from some unknown source affecting the signal strength of my WiFi. It only lasted a few minutes, though. Other than that, it's actually pretty smooth, honestly. I haven't done anything really bandwidth intensive, but I can tell you for sure that mirroring while playing Youtube and the like is as smooth as glass. There is a small amount of latency, but if you have a good, strong WiFi signal, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I will try out Garage Band tonight, though, and let you know. :)

But you know, ATV isn't going to be for everyone. I mean, if you (not YOU; general you) don't have any other Apple products, Roku would be a *much* better choice. I just really like it because my household is slowly becoming an Apple Household, and it integrates so well with the other iOS devices I already have. In fact, ATV is extremely limited when compared to other media streamers like Roku. It only plays video that is Apple Compliant, for instance (H.264, mp4, m4v, mov), because you know Apple likes to keep their security tight and their products "locked down."

This isn't a problem for me, but I can totally see how some people would be completely turned off.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Exactly. That's what I hate about Apple - the closed ecosystem that sucks you in so you can't get out.

And even given the above:

I have an iPhone only because work gives me one.
I have an iPod shuffle because it ROCKS :-).
Wifey has an iPhone because someone gave her one for Christmas
Eldest son has an iPod Touch to play games on.

However, when I went to buy a tablet I refused to get an iPad, and I'm happy with that decision. On my Nexus 10 I can use external USB drives, play video in any format, and do lots of other things that would be forbidden on an iPad.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I thought I'd never have any Apple products either, but now we have two: Teh wife's iPad, which she adores, and her iPod Nano. I personally don't have any beef against Apple stuff, it's pretty darn solid. If i wanted to play Hacker Dude, I'd obviously stay away from it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.