So.. Apple Tv

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: So.. Apple Tv

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:12 pm

http://www.dvdfab.com/

They have quite a few versions to choose from and even a free one. I've been meaning to upgrade mine for a while.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:04 pm

CR, we've got one of those newfangled Samsung SmartTVs, too. Sadly, it's largely just used as a monitor for our cable DVR and for playing DVDs. I think I tried to use the YouTube feature on it ONCE.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:04 pm

who the heck wants to use facebook on a tv?
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 pm

MetroSonus wrote:http://www.dvdfab.com/

They have quite a few versions to choose from and even a free one. I've been meaning to upgrade mine for a while.

Yea, I've heard of that one. Might give it a looksee... DVDShrink has trouble with DRM and whatever else digital copy protection there is, sometimes.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:47 pm

MetroSonus wrote:who the heck wants to use facebook on a tv?

Not me. But YouTube and all the other is nice. I don't even facebook on my computer any more, it's been relegated to an iPhone exclusive activity.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 pm

I have never had a problem with DVD fab. Updates are free and the free one is excellent except that you need to upgrade to disable Disney DRM.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 pm

ya i say if u buy a dvd or whatevs u can rip it no big deal

i've bought 2 dvds (thx 1138 and the matrix) and have been given one or 2 over the years but i just don't ever watch dvds, blu ray or any of those anymore.

i stream everything from netflix, cable tv, or rent/buy from itunes mostly.

apple tv is ok especially with iphone/ipad controller apps, dialling everything from the remote sux. i got one for my parents last year for xmas and got the app on my moms iPad. they use it sometimes but my dad mostly goes to the theatre and watches everything half decent that comes out.

i think apple tv has way more potential and the big networks are holding it back in some ways. i don't understand why you can't just stream literally every movie and show for a monthly subscription fee (and wait a few weeks for new releases like spotify).

i also don't understand why its not a full blown ios device with games and all the other apps, iPhone/ipad and 3rd party controllers, etc. apple would charge $100 and make 30% on all the streaming, apps and other revenues which would be like a bazillion dollars

i think apple is too obsessed with being a hardware maker than to offer cheap ass apple tvs and basically be a service provider. if they ever make a smart tv i'm not sure if i'd be interested but i said the same thing when i heard they were making a phone
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:06 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Disney DRM.
The ripping pirates know that if they write software that circumvents Disney DRM, teh flying monkeys will come rip the straw out they ass. And throw they head over here, and they leg over there, until that's pretty much them all over.

And as I understand it, the new flying monkeys are pretty baddass and much more realistic:

Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

The program does it... you just have to pay for the upgrade. I had it on a free trial thingy and it ran out. Bypassing the DRM doesn't hold up in courts because under copyright law, the owner is allowed to make copies for archival purposes and obsolescence of format. Working in education and having dealt with a large volume of media, I'm pretty up on copyright stuff. But the problem is if in bypassing the DRM, is that if the bypasser modified or otherwise used any of their code within their bypass, then they'd be in trouble. It is perfectly legal to make a copy of something that you own the original of. What's obviously not legal is making ten copies and passing them out to your friends. But by extension, they can't stop you from making software that bypasses the copy protection either, just as long as it doesn't infringe upon someone's patent of the DRM code.,
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 pm

This thread is now about flying monkeys.

Proceed.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Those used to scare me when I was little, on the Wizard of Oz I mean. But those puppies are so darn cute!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Also, Greg, you make excellent points. I have also wondered the same things. There must be goings ons behind the scenes that we don't know about...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

My guess is that it would be wrangling over the licensing details. I know when Netflix first started, they had everything right away, including new releases. TV now is the only real stuff on on demand. Movies they don't get rental money on the new releases, so you can bet that netflix has them after redbox / blockbuster. However you can stream them at the same time from amazon on demand or itunes because you are getting charged a rental fee.

Also a lot of stuff contains music that isn't cleared for streaming and internet distribution. Newer series and stuff probably avoids this because they take it into consideration when they produce the show but older shows and movies in the licensing, but i"ve found plenty of shows, both new and old, that have episodes missing that had a tune in it.

And probably also on some movies and shows they cost of working out a streaming deal isn't worth the money to the parent company.

Licensing is weird like that. Streaming under the current viewpoints is considered "public performance" whereas having the same thing on DVD isn't. I"m quite sure sooner than later they'll work it out as there's money to be made there..
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:25 pm

so when do the flying monkey's come out of my butt?

cha, that would be excellent..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Oh yeah???

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:43 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Also a lot of stuff contains music that isn't cleared for streaming and internet distribution. Newer series and stuff probably avoids this because they take it into consideration when they produce the show but older shows and movies in the licensing, but i"ve found plenty of shows, both new and old, that have episodes missing that had a tune in it.

You're right about this. I have several tv show series on DVD where the music has been changed from it's original broadcast. So yea, apparently licensing it a turd.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm

yea there you go :lol: and see, yet still, that's a broadcast license. One more into the mix!

here's some trivia.. did you know the sentry guns in aliens two are only found in the TV edit? The scene is probably on the DVD or something as a bonus (I haven't checked) by why would the tv edit get it and not the movie or rental version?

I've often wondered if it wasn't intended to be in the final movie, but maybe cut out something not suitable for tv and used that as a replacement, since they had the cut scene lying around, for time purposes.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:11 am

selfinflikted wrote:Also, Greg, you make excellent points. I have also wondered the same things. There must be goings ons behind the scenes that we don't know about...

ya i don't want to sound like a spoiled brat or anything a la louis ck (everything's amazing and nobody's happy) but really why can't i do iMessage, facetime, and play angry birds on apple tv ?

nintendo's wiiU, microsoft smart glass and i'm sure a host of others are competing in the so-called '2 screen' space. this is something apple could easily get right and be hugely successful with tight os/hardware integration, etc.

the typical tv/living room/bedroom is set up with fairly similar viewing distances and whatnot. why not add a camera to apple tv with slightly specialized software (like a short part of the config process)

the apps, i message, facetime, etc are not licensing issues and well within apple's control to make happen and would increase the value of the device ten fold or more.

apple describes it as a 'hobby' but really mobile me, i cloud, ping and other 'services' are neglected due to the focus on hardware, which is generally incremental on their biggest products like iPhone and ipad.

ironically the computer room and mobile space like commuting is the real hobby and the living room is front and centre for a lot of consumers and a way bigger pie imho
gregwar

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 pm

I run a Windows Home Server which holds ripped copies of all my favourite movies, as well as all my photos, music, and everything else digital. This is then viewed on a HTPC I built, running WIndows Media Centre and MyMovies.

It works well 99% of the time, except for the occassional Windows freakout requiring a reboot. I schedule it to record shows I want to watch, then watch later and skip through the ads. I haven't seen an ad in years I think. I used to have a program that detected and stripped out the ads automatically, but it stopped working and I couldn't be bothered working out why.

I really don't like physical media - all those scratches and skipping/freezing.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Oh, and I agree about all the other crap being unneccessary on a TV. If I wanted I could use facebook, this forum, YouTube, whatever. I never do. About the only thing I've ever done apart from TV and movies would be view photos, and very occassionally listen to music.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.