So.. Apple Tv

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

So.. Apple Tv

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Anyone else got? I got one for my partner for Valentine's Day and we love it SO much, I'm going to the Best Buy today to buy a second one for the bedroom. If you have iPads or iPhones and want a set top box that'll do Netflix and the like, you should get Apple Tv. Totally integrates with all your iOS devices. SO. FREAKIN'. COOL.

That is all.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: So.. Apple Tv

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:52 pm

So explain. what's it do? Can you rip DVDs to it? Play streaming radio ect?

I guess it kind of looks like a ROKU box or something. Can you attach a HDD to the USB and play movies/music/photos from that? If so, I could see getting a few myself.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

apparently there's a 30$ hack for it that works quite well.

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, I haven't delved into the majority of what it can do yet, but I'll tell you what I know for sure.

For starters, I got the 3rd gen unit. While it doesn't have an onboard HDD per se, it does have 8GB of flash memory on-board, which apple says isn't used for media storage, but for updates, and to allegedly help with streaming media. It has a micro USB port which is used only for diagnostics and repairs, again, says Apple. Beyond that, there is only an HDMI port, ethernet port, optical audio out, and power cable port on the unit. So as far as I know, "no" to the attaching an external HDD - you know Apple and their strict security. You can't rip DVDs *to* it, but you can rip DVDs and load them into your iTunes and stream them to your tv from there. AND, ATV can serve as a P2P device, allowing streaming from a media hub (as long as the media is loaded into iTunes, I think) over your home network.

It comes loaded with lots of apps. Netlix, Hulu, YouTube, Flickr, etc etc. Most everything you'd expect from a media streaming box. Previously, we were using my Xbox 360 in the living room to stream movies from Netflix and such, so NOW I get to have my 360 back in my man cave. BLISS!

The thing that really turns me on about it, though, is the "AirPlay" feature. This feature allows you to stream most any content from your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc etc) directly to your tv, and subsequent surround sound (you know you all have one). So, I can stream my music from my iPhone to play through the tv, as well as my pictures and videos that I took myself with the phone. Airplay works as well with almost anything on your iOS devices, too. Namely, I can stream my music and videos from my iTunes on my netbook to the tv, or if I'm watching a YouTube video on my iPhone, I can also stream that to my tv. If I had an iPhone 4S or later (mine is only a lowly iPhone 4), I could mirror the entire phone to the tv (this works as well with iPad 2 and later, I believe, as well as any computer running Mac OS).

I will play around more with it tonight and find out what all else it does. Truth be told, I mainly bought it for the Netflix app so I could get my Xbox back lol. But, it does a whole heck of a lot for only $99. And like I said, we are so enamored over it, I'm buying a second one today to put in the bedroom. :clap:

Oh, and it not only connects to your home network through an ethernet port, but it also connects through wifi, but I'm sure that really goes without saying.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Hmm I may just keep the Dell PC then :/ I'd like to have a small form factor, but I use too many online services through the web interface and the apple TV wouldnt support it. I also am not crazy about how you need a computer anyway and then it streams it to the TV. Blargh.

If you only want to add a service to another TV, then I can see why it's a good option. But as it is I"m running my two TVs (bedroom and living room) off of one PC while watching hulu free, amazon on demand, nextflix, ripped movies, mp3s, streaming radio to my stereo ect.

I think it'd definitely be "neat" to have one but it wouldn't replace anything I'm already doing. I need to watch myself though 'cause I've bee so wound up with school and work lately I'm wanting a new toy to distract myself with :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Something else to distract me from making music? I think I'll pass :)

We still buy DVDs. And only kid's stuff.

So I think this isn't for me.

/luddite
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Hehe. This is my new toy, and should keep me satiated for a bit. But yea, it really doesn't do anything a PC connected to a tv wouldn't do except for the airplay feature which is really neat, but I don't have PCs connected to my tvs so this was perfect for us.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

christianrock wrote:So I think this isn't for me.

Don't worry, we can still be friends. :grin:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:54 pm

For full disclosure, we have a SmartTV from Samsung. We never use the features, but we thought we would... :ohwell:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Rather than cable, everything we do is through the PC.

CR, ripping DVDs is actually pretty easy and I mostly have kids stuff on there too. Some classic, rainy day / sick in bed movies I like are on there too. I still have boxes of DVDs though. We don't have cable and we depend on the 'net for everything so it made more sense to have a full PC as a media server. At least for me :lol: We use it for back up of family photos, my music, software stuff (if I ever need to reformat and reinstall anything). And you'd be surprised that the minimum specs is all you need to run something like that. Just make if you get one, it's got an HDMI out on it for your tv.

I stopped going to redbox because the hassle wasn't worth it and you can rent the same movies from amazon on demand for 3$ and when you finally get around to taking the movie back to redbox you spend 5$ anyway..
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:06 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Rather than cable, everything we do is through the PC.

CR, ripping DVDs is actually pretty easy and I mostly have kids stuff on there too. Some classic, rainy day / sick in bed movies I like are on there too. I still have boxes of DVDs though. We don't have cable and we depend on the 'net for everything so it made more sense to have a full PC as a media server. At least for me :lol: We use it for back up of family photos, my music, software stuff (if I ever need to reformat and reinstall anything). And you'd be surprised that the minimum specs is all you need to run something like that. Just make if you get one, it's got an HDMI out on it for your tv.

I stopped going to redbox because the hassle wasn't worth it and you can rent the same movies from amazon on demand for 3$ and when you finally get around to taking the movie back to redbox you spend 5$ anyway..

Yea man, LOTS of my friends (especially my techie friends) are dropping their cable services and using only Netflix and Hulu type services. It's WAY cheaper, and I can definitely see the appeal. Only downside for us is, we like to watch CURRENT programming, rather than having to wait the time it takes for streaming media sites to acquire the licenses/programming. But, like I said, $7.00/mo for a service like Netflix beats the crapola out of paying out the whazoo for premium cable. Since we don't have kids or any other real extraneous financial obligations, we're lucky enough to be able to afford tv programming alongside other media streaming services. Simply put, we love tv and movies and don't mind paying for them. (As an aside, we have bundled phone service, internet, and tv through AT&T. Their U-Verse television service is quite freakin' awesome!)

Beyond that, I hate Redbox. They NEVER have movies available on release day, and their library is SO DAMN SMALL. What if I want to rent an old-school horror flick? Can't. Why? Redbox sucks. I really miss Blockbuster. They of course had new releases ON release day, PLUS all the old stuff available for rental too. But, we still do buy DVDs and Bluray discs all the time. Just this week I bought the new Silent Hill film on Bluray.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Metro, just out of curiosity, do you use DVD Shrink or something similar for your ripping endeavors?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm

christianrock wrote:For full disclosure, we have a SmartTV from Samsung. We never use the features, but we thought we would... :ohwell:

We have nice tvs, but they were purchased before smart tvs were available. When we have to buy new ones, they will be of the smart variety for certain.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Why would I spend a lot of time ripping my DVDs when it's so easy for my kids to put them in the DVD players (they even have a portable one for trips)? :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:52 pm

christianrock wrote:Why would I spend a lot of time ripping my DVDs when it's so easy for my kids to put them in the DVD players (they even have a portable one for trips)? :)

[EDITED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES]

I personally no longer participate in this kind of activity, but do not hold it against others who do so. :)
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah I see the point.

But like you, I don't partake in this kind of activity :)

Also, kids movies are on special all the time. There's one they watched so many times that the DVD became unplayable, and we bought it for a dollar...

These days, it's difficult for me and my wife to spend time on our own, so we prefer doing something that will allow us to talk to each other, rather than watching movies... we almost never watch movies anymore. Maybe once a year...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Wow. I've never heard of a dvd becoming unplayable due to overuse. Do they handle with care? ;)

Also, I much prefer to buy my DVDs and Blurays the legal way, as I do my music, because most if not all DVDs come with free digital copies that you can use on your media servers anyway. (Not to mention, ripping your OWN DVDs that you've paid for is perfectly legal, IIRC)

I remember back in the day right after the whole Napster debacle, when companies were really cracking down on pirating... my ex's friend at work got popped with a $250,000.000 fine because his kids, unbeknownst (he says) to him, had downloaded some music from a P2P newtwork. HELL TO THE NOES. I can't afford that! Ain't nobody got time for that!

Also, I said "newtwork."
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:13 pm

selfinflikted wrote: Do they handle with care? ;)

No they don't :)

In a way I'm glad that DVD finally wouldn't play anymore, I was tired of it :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm

all right, stop giving away our secrits :mad:

But ripping the ones you own gives you advantage, it's there on the computer all the time, you can zap it to your tablet, phone and you still have a portable version of hotel rooms, grandmas house or whatever. My son has no trouble using the media center built into windows.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:19 pm

MetroSonus wrote:all right, stop giving away our secrits :mad:

Fix'd. hehe

MetroSonus wrote:But ripping the ones you own gives you advantage, it's there on the computer all the time, you can zap it to your tablet, phone and you still have a portable version of hotel rooms, grandmas house or whatever. My son has no trouble using the media center built into windows.

Agreed. Portable versions of movies are a blessing sometimes. So, what do you use for ripping? Curious.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to The Hang Out.