Could this day get ANY longer?

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Could this day get ANY longer?

Postby gregwar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 am

by working faithfully 8 hours a day you may eventually get to be a boss and work 12 hours a day
- Robert Frost
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Does that mean you're a boss now?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Thought he was already a baus?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 am

well I was supposed to be done wed but they've extended my hitch by 3-5 days. we might get another hole after this but I think it's unlikely

as a consequence of all these extra shifts I'm trying to line up a 24 channel toft audio mixer. it's 2 years old and second hand, plus they're willing to ship it to me from the states.

still I feel uneasy about getting gear I can't see & hear in person before putting down the ca$h. the last thing I want staring my vacation is a paypal dispute or some such thing :facepalm:

normally it's not such a big deal but mixers are a huge item to ship and there's a million things that can go wrong with them
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 pm

I hear these Toft mixers are quite fragile...

Do you really need one if you sold all your hardware? LOL GAS
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:16 am

ya I want to get back into recording bands it was fun working on other peoples music. I got rid of my mixer because I wasn't making any money doing it. now I'm much more financially stable so I'd be doing it mostly for fun and for collab purposes

those toft mixers are made in china and I think everything is surface mounted so repairs would be a bitch. they had quality issues so malcolm redesigned the 2 bus and made it more 'robust' or something but ya it's really iffy second hand never mind shipping it

I might have to wait until I can get something in person that's not so far away (Maine) and really thoroughly check it out before buying it

there was a 56 channel soundcraft ghost for sale in Vancouver (32 channel + 16 channel side car) those are serviceable and it had the master section upgrades. still I've wanted a toft since they were announced for the trident vibe despite them looking like someone puked neon twisslers all over it
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Sometimes you can find Made in England Allen and Heath mixers for less than what a Toft would cost... There's also the Yamaha IM-8, you know with Yamaha that when you get to this price range you're getting awesome stuff.

Also, the best deal in mixers might be a used Soundtracs Topaz.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm

ya i used to own a yamaha mg12 it was dopenoodles for routing my synths to my 2 channel ad/da converter without having to plug/unplug everything all the time. plus u could layer, add sends/effects, etc.

my rule of thumb:
under $100 u don't want to use pres, eq, or do anything besides route line-in signals around

under $1000 u might get away with using the pres but prolly not the eq for anything drastic

under $5000 u might get a half-decent pre and eq but generally u'd be better off with daw eqs and outboard pres like ssl vhd ($690 new for 4), api a2d ($2000 for 2 pres and has ad/da converters) or bae dual dmp ($2200 for 2 pres, sound remarkably close to neve and high build quality).

over $5000 u might get something thats better than the daw with real character and high enough sound quality to mix outside of the box and have it actually improve your mixes and make mixing easier as opposed to more difficult. outboard pres are optional and only for different 'flavours'

it sounds like a lot of money and that i'm really picky (which i am) but really the daw is so superior in sound quality and ease of use (multiple instances of the same compressor for example) that unless your going all out there's no real point, unless you just want to mix that way and don't care that there are better eqs and everything in the box.

there's just a specific sound i'm going for and the toft is the best and most affordable way of achieving it for me without sinking $10 000+ in api and whatnot. having said that i'll prolly cancel the deal and wait until something better comes along.
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:33 pm

in other news i'm officially on vacation chilling in jasper, alberta. its in the rocky mountains, one of my fav places and i'm doing my best to do absolutely nothing. chopped a dope beat this morning over coffee and will try to use up some of my benefits at the fairmont down the street in massages and whatnot lol

i did a minor detox yesterday at the spa/pool/steam room we deal with so many harsh petro-chemicals that soaking for a while in 'good minerals' or whatevs seems to have made a big difference, at least mentally if not physically lol

i completely blew the deadline to download the neve, studder, and lex effects from uad (april 15th) but i called them and they said its cool, they'll just add them manually whenever i get back home
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 pm

"Dopenoodles". :lol: I'm going to keep that one, thanks!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

this is how my day has been going.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Well then get with the lulz :lol:

Or the gear talk...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:05 pm

yea sorry i'm not more of a hoot. :( I went home early with a bad bout of gastritis.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:08 pm

MetroSonus wrote:yea sorry i'm not more of a hoot. :( I went home early with a bad bout of gastritis.

uhhhh... yay? :freak: sorry man, that sounds uncomfortable.

Personally, I'm having a huge case of "don't wanna".
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 pm

yea.......... it felt like texas pete and cholula were having an orgy and using a bottle of sriracha as a personal lubricant. :freak:

went home early and took a zantac. I just had a serious bout of post nasal drip and I think that set it off.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:01 am

Hope you feel better, man.
I was very very sick on Monday... but now all that's left is I'm still stuffed up, and my voice is hoarse...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 am

Being sick actually makes me angry. I hate being sick! I hate feeling crappy, and it's such a waste of time! You don't even want to do the things like LIKE to do!

Bleh!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:47 am

MetroSonus wrote:yea.......... it felt like texas pete and cholula were having an orgy and using a bottle of sriracha as a personal lubricant. :freak:
A masterful allegory. One almost feels the internal tempest oneself. :grin:

ElectricPuppy wrote:Being sick actually makes me angry. I hate being sick! I hate feeling crappy, and it's such a waste of time! You don't even want to do the things like LIKE to do!

Bleh!
I'm usually this way. But when I had the flu a few months ago, I found a certain amount of enjoyment in the two days I spent asleep in bed. Aside from a few gastroindignities, it was a welcome respite.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Man, alergies REALLY got to me during the night. Up all night coughing. It was so bad that close to 1AM I went to the spare bedroom so at least my wife could get some sleep... I do get to work from home if I don't feel well, so I count my blessings. I finally got to sleep some in the early morning, including during what would have been my 1-hour commute :)

But yeah I feel crappy and my eyes are so red you'd think I'm high on the pot.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 pm

I threw up twice at work from post nasal. The burning in my stomach was so bad i could hardly sit down and thats when i said i was done.

Now im in st augustine for my cousins wedding. Its really nice over here..
MetroSonus

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.