Re: Could this day get ANY longer?

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:Why?

BECAUSE WE LIEK U!!!
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 pm

durr we're doing changeover

this is where we go from day shift to nights and we only have 2 days left in the season

finally had it where i don't need my alarm to wake up in the morning then we turn our bio rhythm on its head

why not just work on days straight through ? :facepalm:
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm

well, just as I'm getting settled in for 2 days at my place in Edmonton I get a call from the office for another job. looks like 8-10 days more work then maybe more after.

I guess the rig season isn't over yet !
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Gah. Now I feel so trivial complaining about MY days being long.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 am

gregwar wrote:I get a call from the office for another job
Can you decline occasionally, if you wish? Or do they 'frown' on such behavior?
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:27 am

I suppose you could but I would only do that if I absolutely had to (family or other important reason). one Derrick hand at camp told me he only made $30k last year and the Derrick hand on my rig made $200k with a grade 9 education, that's the difference.

one of my mentors, rob, taught me to be flexible and have my work bag packed at my front door. he called it keeping your fingers in the damp lol. that way I was ready to go in a moments notice when someone called in sick or didn't show up

don't get me wrong I'm not an ass kisser but the stakes are way higher in the oil patch with jobs that have $100 000 signing bonuses. Hundreds of guys are looking for work as the season is winding down yet I'm the one getting the call, with 4 months experience and only working starting positions.

my dear plink I've prolly said too much but seeing a poor family in rural Vietnam scrimp and save to send their daughter to accounting school in Saigon was a profound experience for me. any time I think it's too hard or something is unobtainable I think about them and double down
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 am

gregwar wrote:I've prolly said too much
Not a bit of it Sir, if I wasn't interested I wouldn't have asked. If you had said "oh man they're busting my ass alla time I never get to loaf..." I would have commiserated, but I'm much happier to hear that you're a bootstrap kinda guy.

I almost feel guilty when I think of the times I've turned down extra work when my company calls while I'm off, looking for someone to go fix something when the regular techs are too busy or too stupid. I would feel guilty if I didn't have a reasonable amount of side income stuff going on.

btw, Teh Wife is thinking of going back to werk. She has been off for ten years or so for child raising duties, but the children aren't so much anymore. If she get's the job she's angling for, it will be work at home, flex hours, and very good dough. Yay!

But I'll hafta go back to helping with teh laundry & dishes. Feh!
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
gregwar wrote:But I'll hafta go back to helping with teh laundry & dishes. Feh!

TEH HORROR! :eek:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:46 pm

As long as you get to buy MOAR GEAR it should be fine, Plink :thu:

gregwar, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get hooked up with the oil rig gig?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 pm

i have 3 brothers and they've all to a greater or lesser extent worked in the oil patch at some point. one payed his way through his bachelors in science (and is now in med school) and one is trying to go back and make enough for 2nd year law school. my other brother has been working internationally and i'm currently staying at his place in edmonton. he just recently took his international well control course and is on his way to becoming a supervisor on international rigs.

so ya i'm lucky to have a place to stay out here and help from my family but i did have to find a job myself and that took almost a month back in oct/nov '12. my brother's roomate (and my roomate) is also a rigger and they've both got like 7-8 years in the patch. the two of them have travelled the world together and i went with them to south east asia last year. altho i've always wanted to travel with them and buy lots of gear now that i'm able to i'm trying to save everything i make for engineering school.

basically i hatched this plan around this time last year and it took me 6+ months to prepare to come out here from toronto. the reason i'm getting into electrical engineering and computer science is so i can get deeper into petroleum engineering. i might have to take some more prerequisites but i'm aiming to get off the rig floor into the shacks at some point in the not-so-distant future or maybe even the office in calgary or houston with a 6 figure salary working 6 months a year.

i came out to alberta like 6 years ago and got a job as a crane operator. they just sorta handed me the crane pack, showed me how to rig up the chains and were like just take the course next weekend lol. its a different mentality out here than the rest of canada where a guy can work hard and get paid. a lot of guys get the $80 000 truck, rv, etc i just hope i can delay gratification long enough to fulfill an epic masterplan muhhuahahahahahaha ;rubshandstogether:

but really it hasn't worked out as planned at all. my initial goal was to make music and art in my downtime and so far that hasn't materialized in any meaningful way. i didn't underestimate the amount of labor involved and costs associated with working the rigs but it's quite staggering. so ya it's a crazy uphill battle but i don't tend to take the easy path in life and would rather try to break free that continue to work my dead-end job in toronto in a dead-end music scene where rehab would be the only logical end game lol

also, i drank too much coffee
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:40 am

:thu: Cool story about teh oil rig gig, dig?
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:56 pm

You guys are not giving me free money fast enough !!! :angrybaby:
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:49 am

Greg let it be said i admire you honest and thorough self reflection.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Greg let it be said i admire you honest and thorough self reflection.

Yeah, what he said ...
midinut

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Yeah. Good Guy Greg keeps living up to his name :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:40 am

DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby gregwar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:43 am

well this is day 51 of 55 on this hitch. I've had 7 days off since jan but they were mostly travel days. I ended up racking my rig (bringing it to the yard) then filled in and racked 2 more. now I'm on what they call teh 'big iron' an ADR triple. this rig might work all the way through break up but we'll have to see. I might get more work but some guys are coming back from their courses so maybe not. can't wait for my days off regardless
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Sounds brutal, man! Stay safe!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 am

Yeah, diddoes. Just remember:

Oils well that ends well.
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext