Let's talk film!

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Let's talk film!

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Aside from music, watching films is one of my most favorite pastimes. Horror is my go-to genre of choice, but I also love Sci-fi and Fantasy. Do you guys enjoy films much? Which are your favorites?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Let's talk film!

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Comedy, of course. Having two young kids doesn't give me as much time to watch movies as I used to. I love Sci-Fi and fantasy as well. I've never been into horror, as they're always pretty stupid (which just makes them bad comedy...

I got to the point that I can watch some chick flicks with my wife and enjoy them. As long as they're not the Drew Barrimore/Jennifer Aniston type crap....
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 pm

christianrock wrote:I got to the point that I can watch some chick flicks with my wife and enjoy them. As long as they're not the Drew Barrimore/Jennifer Aniston type crap....

On this, we can agree, well.. partly. There are only a few "chick flicks" I would ever admit to having watched, and even fewer I will admit to actually liking.

1) Steel Magnolias - I cry EVERY time. I am secure enough to admit this. Beyond that, Sally Fields is simply amazing. Julia Whatshername can go suck a urinal cake.

2) Riding in Cars With Boys - This is the Drew Barrimore variety. Excellent film, though, mostly due to the writing and Drew's shockingly awesome performance.

3) Muriel's Wedding - Toni Collette is awesome. Plus, Aussie accents make me giggle.

So, there's three right there I would watch again. And I can, since I own the dvd/blurays.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, now that I'm married, if I watch a chick flick with my wife, it actually works out well for me, if you know what I mean

So I won't be the one to judge. Most of my friends will admit they'll watch a chick flick if it's a well done one.

Ideally, it will be a fantasy or medieval story with a romantic side like Ladyhawk or Stardust - then I can really enjoy it. I loved those, and movies like that.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Films, 80s, classic horror, Sci FI mostly. Tv 80s tv, classic tv, English tv shows, comedies ECT..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 pm

SciFi-fantasy? Yeah, I'm there. Chick flicks? Not so much. :lol: Although I will suffer through them to garner points with waifu, 'natch. Action-adventure...? sometimes. Horror? Just no. I just don't care for that.

I'm kind of a light-weight fan of animation, mostly Pixar stuff. I don't know anything about anime, so... I guess I'm not really a fan of animation then? :idk:

Wanna cry manly tears? Watch the first ten minutes of "Up". Every. Damn. Time. :cry:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 am

christianrock wrote:Well, now that I'm married, if I watch a chick flick with my wife, it actually works out well for me, if you know what I mean

I'm not sure... could you be *really* specific?

christianrock wrote:Ideally, it will be a fantasy or medieval story with a romantic side like Ladyhawk or Stardust - then I can really enjoy it. I loved those, and movies like that.

Yes. I like the direction this is taking. Ladyhawk was really good, I agree. I don't think it's because it's good good, but for me it's more likely that it's something from my childhood that I really enjoyed then and it just carried over into adulthood. Same for Red Sonja, Conan (the Arnold versions), Beastmaster (Mark Singer).. basically any sword and sorcery film from the 80's - LOVE 'em!
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 am

MetroSonus wrote:Films, 80s, classic horror, Sci FI mostly. Tv 80s tv, classic tv, English tv shows, comedies ECT..

We have all that in common, then. I'm actually asking for a few seasons of some 80's sitcoms for Christmas from my significant other. Also, Star Wars or Star Trek?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 am

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Well, now that I'm married, if I watch a chick flick with my wife, it actually works out well for me, if you know what I mean

I'm not sure... could you be really specific?
I think he means cookies.

Last month I lost a bet with one of my wife's friends, & the penalty was that I had to watch either "Phantom" or "Cats". I chose Phantom, & I have to admit it didn't actually kill me. I sort of feel that I need to see it again just to try to pick up more of the dialog & lyrics.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Wanna cry manly tears? Watch the first ten minutes of "Up". Every. Damn. Time. :cry:

I've never seen it, but I'm pretty sure I inherited it during the "Great Merger of 2010." Perhats, I will check it out.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:51 am

selfinflikted wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:Also, Star Wars or Star Trek?
Can't we all just get along? :lol:

I think there's room in the universe for both, so I like it all. And also hate certain things about both.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:53 am

Plink Floyd wrote:Last month I lost a bet with one of my wife's friends, & the penalty was that I had to watch either "Phantom" or "Cats". I chose Phantom, & I have to admit it didn't actually kill me. I sort of feel that I need to see it again just to try to pick up more of the dialog & lyrics.

Now see, that's different. I don't know how, but I actually liked Phantom too, and can't remember exactly how I got roped into that. I remember bourbon being involved, however. I think I would like to see it again as well, now that I think about it. Wonder if Netflix has it...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 am

Plink Floyd wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:Also, Star Wars or Star Trek?
Can't we all just get along? :lol:

NOE. You cannot have it both ways!

ETA: For the record, I'm Star Wars. Although Star Trek TNG was really good, I never missed an episode.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 am

Wanna cry tears of pain and sorrow, and not in a good way?

Watch "Xanadu". :lol: Fantasy FAIL.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 am

Original Star Trek TV episodes for the win. Star Wars "The Empire Strikes Back" for another win. I'd like to forget the pain and suffering inflicted on me by Episode 1, please. Also, Ewoks can kiss my hairy, yellow butt.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:07 am

:facepalm: Xanadu.

Grease, however, is one of teh wife's faves. I can watch that one, it's fun. Then I get cookies.

ST 11: Very Good. STNext: Very Good. DS9: Beloved by most, but not me so much.

SW: In the hands of the Mouse, so well see...

Pixar: Very Good, (yes, even Cars, since it was a fitting use for that cable guy dude).
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 am

I'll take a moon full of ewoks before I'll stomach Jar Jar.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 am

Im mainly into the TOS movies and first contact was pretty good. Next Gen has some sweet moments for me too. I like the pre CGI star wars, but if you really wanna know I'm a die hard classic who fan. In that sense I'm a bit like bringing a rubber chicken to a knife fight, it that's how I roll.

80s stuff... MacGyver magnum pi murder she wrote airwolf cheers ECT.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:16 am

I still love the old Lost In Space mess. On Sat night here, a local channel shows an hour of 60's Batman, LIS, STTOS, then Svengoolie, who shticks while hosting old monster flicks. This week it was the original Drac with Bela. My daughter sometimes likes to watch it with me. Cool.

The Batman was the one with Nora Clavicle. WTF?

ST was the one with the Medusan. One of the better ones, I think.

The LIS was the one where Hans Conried (genius) played a knight errant questing after a paper mache dragon that looked like big bird on acid. Hans' finest hour, lol.

The dragon was voiced by someone that sounded like Joan Rivers. This is wrong on so many levels...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:17 am

We get that too.. Watch it all the time.
MetroSonus

Next

Return to The Hang Out.