midinut

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

midinut

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm

You didn't have a thread. Problem solved :)

Post something about yourself.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: midinut

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Hurry up, time is money.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 am

I haz keyboard too.

This is my little playground. I compose ambient, downtempo, chill instrumental stuffz every chance I get. Got one CD out and a couple more about ready to release. Over 50 and going back to school after having been a teacher myself for the last 15 years. It should be interesting. Start in January in Computer Science.

You can hear my stuff at http://www.reverbnation.com/bradmize if you're bored or need some help going to sleep. There ... you happy now!
midinut

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:51 am

Extremely. I rate your post 8.5/10.

:golfclap:
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 am

Welcome, Sir Nut, to your own thread! Please keep it fresh and ferret free if you wish your damage deposit back.

Beauty Kronos! Nice tidy setup. But I'm not sure I would like the monitors spread out like that.

Unless I was all like this:

Why is your lava lamp encased in tinfoil? Afeared of too many Roentgens? Or is it a small conical aquarium for sleeping parrotfish?

Or wut?

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 am

dubstep lavalamp is the new thing

:freak:
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

mmmmm, cornstartch glorp...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:25 pm

mmm non newtonian fluids.

I'm just about done with my masters in instructional technology. Same thing as computer science, just different department, education in my case. i'm hoping sooner or later I can teach computers at my college full time.

Do the monitors like that bother you?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 pm

To solve the mystery of the "lava lamp", here you go:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... ed-darbuka

Regarding my monitors. I'm 6'4" and I sit back from the desk when I'm doing critical listening. But I would embrace any suggestions you guys have on re-positioning them if you think they would sound better.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm

ha! I meant the video monitors, with the gap in the middle. As long as the speakers make an equilateral triangle with your head, I think you're ok :thu:
MetroSonus

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:38 pm

MetroSonus wrote:
I'm just about done with my masters in instructional technology. Same thing as computer science, just different department, education in my case. i'm hoping sooner or later I can teach computers at my college full time.

I have been teaching computer application classes in the private sector for almost 15 years. Got every teaching certification the MS had to offer. Got laid off and have not been able to find work without a degree. Hopefully, this will help. Of course there is still the age thing to deal with. I'll be almost 60 when I get finished. Instructional technology sounds like something I may want to look into further. I was instrumental in helping to develop alternative learning modalities while I was a training manager. I helped set up a mentored learning program, remote teaching, online learning portals, etc. it was all new and in its infancy at the time but cutting edge stuff then.

Or maybe I'll just learn C and be a sheep! Actually, I've been thinking about turning this into an opportunity to develop VSTs and iOS apps. We'll see where it all goes. The math requirements are scaring the shit out if me. I absolutely suck at math. But I would also love to teach computer classes at the college level eventually.
midinut

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:42 pm

MetroSonus wrote:ha! I meant the video monitors, with the gap in the middle. As long as the speakers make an equilateral triangle with your head, I think you're ok :thu:

Sorry, wrong monitors. At first when I started using dual monitors, I had them side by side. It's mostly a case if getting it all to fit and be within reach. Usually I keep my DAW min window open on the left monitor and VSTs, help files, and effects open on the right monitor. They are 19" monitors so not too hard to see.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:07 pm

when using dual displays, I noticed most people keep the seam in the center of their field of view. I always preferred to have the main display in the center with the auxiliary on the right.

so the teac is an amp? then on top of that you have a control surface or multitrack?
MetroSonus

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Nope, the Teac is just a dual cassette recorder. I've got a shitload of old cassettes that I need to get into the computer to archive them. On top of that is a Zoom R24. It's main role is acting as my audio interface. Second, if I get an idea and don't feel like firing up Cubase, it's wired with everything coming from the Alesis Mixer so I can just arm two tracks and record instantly and sort out the details later. Helps keep me from losing inspirations. It also acts as a control surface and sampler but I haven't messed with those functions as yet. Once I sell my other boards, I plan on putting the Kronos on my stand to the left and freeing up the desktop surface for other things. I may move the Zoom back down there and start using it as a control surface. However, those CMC surfaces for Cubase look badass. And did I mention they are only $99 each?

I'll try to get a better picture up soon from higher up. To the left is my M3-73 and Motif ES6. Under my stand is a POD X3 Live with a Variax guitar plugged into it.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:24 pm

midinut wrote:I've got a shitload of old cassettes that I need to get into the computer
Oh, man, I have a flippin DRAWER FULL of VHS and DV video tapes I need to digitize before the ferromagneto entropy fairy fades them away.

And worse, then I'll need to edit all the crap out. Hours and days and weeks worth...

:facepalm:
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Tried to get a better overhead shot. I got the camera up near the ceiling this time and used the 18mm setting.
Plus I had cleaned up a bit and wanted to capture what it all looks like when it's not messy (please forgive the cables). The obligatory cat photo will have to be forthcoming as he was out running the streets when I took the photo. I was also in the middle of putting some tracks together in Cubase so that I might have something to contribute to the Jam with Tapes thread and thought I'd capture the moment.

midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am

Niiiiiiiice! And yes, please post some tracks!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:51 am

Mr. Grumpcat: His very good musics can be found at the reverbnation place he mentioned above. I can't access that site at work or I'd have listened to them all by now, but I'm slowly hitting them all when I get a chance at home. Good stuff!

Mr. Nut: Are those geetars yours, or do you run your synthies through the Line 6? Also

Y U NO ROLAND?
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 am

The two geetars are a Line 6 Variax (the original cheap 300 series) and an Epiphone 6-string acoustic. The Variax works great through the POD obviously, but I canz fix up the guitar model, the amp model, the cabinet model, and zee footstomper pedals exactly the way i wants them and save the whole shebang as a preset in the POD. I also haz the Variax Workbench which lets me invent new geetars and new tunings and save dem to the geetar.

But no, I don't run any boards through the POD. Maybe I should try. Tube sims in it could warm things up a bit me thinks. Hmmmm, thanks for da ideaz. Usually I just use the effects in Cubase.
midinut

Postby midinut » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 am

and Mr. Plink, I have owned many Roland boards in the past, and they just don't do it for me anymore. I must admit the Integra 7 looks good, and it would be a cool way to have most of those Roland sounds archived. I haven't even heard the Supernatural stuff in the newer boards. I do have a softie VST called Edirol VSC (Virtual Sound Canvas) that gives me that "Roland" sound whenever I just have to have it if that's any consolation.
midinut

Next

Return to The Hang Out.