selfinflikted

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: selfinflikted

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Exactly. A lot of the demos seem drenched in various reverbs and delays and whatnot. The DeepMind's effects sound excellent to me actually. I wouldn't mind hearing more raw character demos though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 pm

I think the defining characteristics of the 106 are 1) the chorus, and 2) the filter, in that order. If something can model those things accurately enough, then you've got a 106.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:50 pm

ClavAnother wrote:It has lots of effects. I think he meant is it good with the off

Ohhhh. Well I don't care much about that. It's RARE that I ever record a synth bit with no effects.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:10 pm

I think it will sound good with no effects (or just with a chorus, `a la 106). It is teh analog, after all :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:26 pm

GAH. Now I have so many demos to listen to. When will I have time for anything else?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:06 am

selfinflikted wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:It has lots of effects. I think he meant is it good with the off

Ohhhh. Well I don't care much about that. It's RARE that I ever record a synth bit with no effects.

I tend to think the same too, if I'm doing a gear demo I'll throw in a dry bit to give the idea, mostly I'll go wet though because that's how I'd normally be using it.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby selfinflikted » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Indeed, PC.

But guys. Seriously. Just watched a ton of demos this weekend and I am now not ashamed to admit a Deepmind 12 is at the top of my wishlist atm. I think I really love this synth. :love:

How do they do all that for a thousand bucks? I... I am thinking of selling the Minilogue and the JU-06 to finance it.

What say you all?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 am

I suspect you would love it. Hey don't you have a KING KONG? Do you like it?
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:03 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I suspect you would love it. Hey don't you have a KING KONG? Do you like it?

Yes. I <3 my KingKROG. It is the best hardware VA I've ever played in terms of sound.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Ok guys, I need some guidance from all you Sages.

I think I have come to a decision and I am going to sell:

Korg Minilogue
Roland JU-06 Boutique
(and not that it matters, but also a Roland SP-303 I've had lying around for forever)

I am going to put a couple bills with the money from selling the two boards to get the Deepmind12.

So, can anyone give me a good reason for me NOT to call Stu at Sweetwater today and go ahead and get them to send to me a Deepmind?(well, apparently they are on backorder)

Honestly, CR, you were right. I must've listened to every available demo on YouTube this weekend, and not only does it sound like the Juno (missing THE chorus, but still has a chorus), but can sound like so much more. For a thousand bucks. I have some reservations about potential quality issues (because, Behringer), but damn. I haven't been this impressed by a board at this price point maybe ever, in terms of it sounding like something that fits my wants/needs to a T.

So, thoughts and opinions please. I won't order until I've heard you all out, if you care to even give an opinion.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think the defining characteristics of the 106 are 1) the chorus, and 2) the filter, in that order. If something can model those things accurately enough, then you've got a 106.

I think the same thing could be said for the Virus in general. Although I think the C is the best and I know for most people the A & B were the defining instrument.

Self.. I dunno. I haven't spent enough time with synths these days to be able to give an honest opinion. I'd give it the closet test. Put it away and if it's out of sight out of mind, sell it. That's how I ditched the electribe. I literally had it in a drawer and didn't want to lose my period to get it returned.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:19 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Self.. I dunno. I haven't spent enough time with synths these days to be able to give an honest opinion. I'd give it the closet test. Put it away and if it's out of sight out of mind, sell it. That's how I ditched the electribe. I literally had it in a drawer and didn't want to lose my period to get it returned.

The Minilogue you mean? As fond of it as I am, seems the Deepmind can do everything the ML can do, and a whole lot more. Well, except for make triangle and sine waves haha. But, The Juno 106 couldn't do those things, either.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm

American musical has them with a free extended warranty if you're worried about it.

Even Mr The Suit gives it his approval. I haven't played one, but I was planning to get one until I got sidetracked with the system 8. Anyway 12 voices, proper adult sized keys... :idk: sounds cool. From a design perspective, they really went all out. I say get it.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

This is from someplace else inside the Internet

meatballfulton wrote:I was amazed to see a Deep Mind at my local Guitar Center yesterday. This is the same GC that didn't get a Kronos on the floor until two years after it came out. I was equally surprised to see a Moog Mother 32 (not hooked up), an Akai Timbre Wolf (which was just as bad as I expected), and Roland Boutiques. GC finally remembered they had a keyboard department ;)

The DM is a lot more like a Juno than I was expecting. The first thing I realized is how many things required menu diving. It was only later at home when I read the manual that I deiscovered that some of the things I was looking for required multiple button pushes, just like a real Roland :lol: At least Roland used to mark the shift functions but Behringer does not. What sort of things? How about switching to the live panel (press/hold PROG and press WRITE), choosing LFO waveforms (press/hold LFO EDIT and move rate slider), loading a default starter patch (press/hold PROG and press COMPARE).

Like a Juno it seemed like very patch had the low boost turned on, unlike a Juno you can use the HPF and the boost at the same time. I didn't run through every preset (there's 1024 I think) but the ones I did try were slathered with effects and all used unison! Sure with 12 voices, you can afford to use unison but like the boost it's sort of cheating. Turn off effects, boost and unison and the synth sounds a lot flatter.

What did I like? The filter sounded really good.. Being able to switch between 2 and 4 pole is nice. I dialed in a bunch of old school noise plus self-oscillating filter sci-fi sounds and it was just like being back in 1971. Add some delay and you're in outer space :dancer: The bottom end was huge, some really substantial basses are possible. Master volume and portamento time knobs next to the wheels is great ergonomically. The LFOs run fast enough for some FM effects. The display shows the value of any slider you are currently moving and gives a graphic representation of the filter as you tweak it. The controls can send/recieve either 7-bit CCs or 14-bit NRPNs for extenal sequencing. There's a MIDI THRU and the MIDI OUT has a soft thru function. The MIDI routing in general is good, you can control how the MIDI jacks and USB MIDI interact. USB is class compliant, no drivers :yahoo: You can control the response of each stage of the three EGs between exponential, linear and logarithmic on a per patch basis. The power supply is built in, no wall wart.

What didn't I like? The display was rather "low-fi" and hard to read. You can't select voices quickly, for gig use you would have to make sure the patches you use are close together so you can get at them quickly. I'd rather see the sort of letter/number keys used by Roland and Yamaha. The stereo output jacks do not have a mono option. The octave buttons do not have any indicators to tell what octave you are in :pissed: The CCs for the filter and amp EG do not use the standard MIDI assignments (71-75)...it would be so simple to do that so whether slaved to a master keyboard or used as a controller for other synths, the filter and EG controls would just work. There is no way to disable the effects easily...no on/off switch. no depth slider, etc. :help:

Overall, I think Behringer did a pretty good job. I'm sure Juno fans will be DM haters, but I'd buy this in an instant before spending over a grand for a used Juno.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Extended Warranty was what I was going to say, so Mr. TehClav has you covered.

The thing with the DeepMind is that, like the newer higher end mixers from Behringer such as the X32, it's actually designed by this company they acquired a few years ago, Midas, who is actually an UK company. So it's not designed to be as cheap as possible, but QC could still be an issue (it's not designed by the original Behringer team, but it's still built by Behringer).

I've actually has perfect reliability from everything I've owned that was built by Behringer, much better than other brands. American-made Electro-Harmonix for example... everyone I know who's had their chorus pedals had them break withing a few years. I've had their rack preamps and a reverb unit (which I upgraded after 10 years or so) and the guitar processor which is still going strong with a friend of mine that I gave it to. Of course that's just anecdotal evidence and not statistics, but it shows that Behringer stuff can last.

With a free extended warranty it's almost a no brainer if you like the sound.

Also, for the Chorus, the free TAL Chorus LX seems to hit the right spot. It's based on the Juno 60 chorus but I bet it's very similar (if not the same) as the 106. It's been said it's also the same chorus that's on the Roland Jazz Chorus amps.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Sweet. So, except for EP, Plink, MiDi, and PC giving their input it seems we are all in agreement here.

Wanna see if the rest of the guys and gals here check in today and have thoughts.

Also, is eBay still the best place for me to sell my gear?
Last edited by selfinflikted on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Also also, I'll give Stu at Sweetwater the option to give me a free extended warranty. He prolly will.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:17 pm

wait wut? is meatball up in this? or was that a quote from another board?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Must be another forum, I dunno who that is.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:59 pm

I honestly have no constructive input on this. If the DM has the sound you want, and that's more valuable to you than the things you'd have to sell, then I say go for it. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.