selfinflikted

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: selfinflikted

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Why did I think you were in Minnesota??

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Oh and yes I think those are presets. I wanna say I've watched that video before, but I've seen so many, I honestly can't recall.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:52 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:So anyway I stay away from retail and I network. Anyone could do it. (Sort of)

I live in southern Alabama.

I am likely the only synth player/programmer for at least a 200 mile radius.

Wait a sec...you mean there aren't Mexican Elvis impersonators with minimoogs in the garage in every state??
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:13 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Wait a sec...you mean there aren't Mexican Elvis impersonators with minimoogs in the garage in every state??

I'm thinking, they just haven't been found yet.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see how the System 8 compares to the DeepMind when it comes to the Juno 106 sound. I'm thinking, the Behringer might have the edge there :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't know about that, but there is a Mexican guy that sings Friday nights at one of the TexMex places here that does a wonderful George Jones impersonation. (Seriously, the guy is good)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:56 pm

christianrock wrote:
Anyway, I'll be curious to see how the System 8 compares to the DeepMind when it comes to the Juno 106 sound. I'm thinking, the Behringer might have the edge there :)

What makes you think that? Roland has purposefully (and quite accurately) modeled the 106 - Behringer didn't. Why would Behringer sound more like a Juno?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

I believe the S8 uses the boutique technology, so SI should be able to speak to the accuracy already.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:14 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:

What makes you think that? Roland has purposefully (and quite accurately) modeled the 106 - Behringer didn't. Why would Behringer sound more like a Juno?

The DeepMind is actually based on the Juno 106. They wanted a Juno 106 sound with some modern features. Then it suffered what they call a "feature creep" (it ended up being so much more than the original design). But the basic sound of the oscillators/filter is totally based on the 106. I don't know about the chorus tho... that's where Roland might have an edge, I think they worked more on the chorus to make it sound more like the 106.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... irst-look/
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:23 pm

christianrock wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:

The DeepMind is actually based on the Juno 106. They wanted a Juno 106 sound with some modern features. Then it suffered what they call a "feature creep" (it ended up being so much more than the original design). But the basic sound of the oscillators/filter is totally based on the 106. I don't know about the chorus tho... that's where Roland might have an edge, I think they worked more on the chorus to make it sound more like the 106.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... irst-look/

Huh. I did not know that.

But there would seem to be a difference, just at face value, between "based on the sounds of the Juno 106" and "directly modelled the 106."

This definitely deserves more investigation on my part. How could I not have known this?

Also, does anyone want a Behringer? I didn't think I did at all, but now, maybe I do?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 pm

With "based on the sounds of" they basically mean, they copied the circuit for the oscillators and the filter.

It's a Behringer, after all :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Hm. I hadn't paid ANY attention at all the the Deepmind because, in my experience, I've only ever owned ONE piece of Behringer gear that didn't completely suck ass (It's a multi-effect rack module, btw. It's decent. I never said "good").

Behringer always seems like the cheap knock off when you can't afford to buy the real thing.

Maybe I just have the wrong impression of that company.

I will listen to demos and reviews.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Also, does anyone want a Behringer? I didn't think I did at all, but now, maybe I do?

I did. Until yesterday.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:02 pm

christianrock wrote:.

It's a Behringer, after all :lol:

:lol:
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:02 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Also, does anyone want a Behringer? I didn't think I did at all, but now, maybe I do?

I did. Until yesterday.

Wut happen?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Hm. I hadn't paid ANY attention at all.

I will listen to demos and reviews.

You're in for a treat.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 pm

We all know what you mean about the company at large. We've all had those unacceptable experiences. But I think that by now we've all also seen that there are diamonds in the rough. I don't have any idea what any possible pattern could be, but sometimes they make something really useful and well built, but other times it's a right shit-tip
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 pm

ClavAnother wrote:When you say the 106 is on everything you listen to it made me chuckle because the Jupiter is all over stuff I listen to :). I mean, you guys do listen to Rio don't you??

Nostalgia might be overrated though. I personally never break out my D-50 to play Enya's Orinoco Flow. :)

To me, based on demos and specs (so caveat empor) it sounds like the oscillators are serviceable enough but aren't the greatest in the world (too limited). But the filter and effects seem very nice though. And of course the price is superb, along with the number of voices. So it could be worthwhile. The Juno 106 was kind of similar (limited oscillators with a great filter and chorus) after all. I just wonder if it holds up very well with no effects.

My studio is currently "full" and I'm not going to sell the Andromeda or P6 to make space for one. Of course, I might change my mind depending on the circumstances. Something like the GC 20% off coupon that got applied to my P6. :grin:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 pm

soundwave106 wrote: the GC 20% off coupon that got applied to my P6. :grin:

Oh yeah! Nice! :thu:
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 pm

soundwave106 wrote: I personally never break out my D-50 to play Enya's Orinoco Flow. :)

Dude. If I had a D-50 I would play Paula Abdul songs ALL THE TIME.

soundwave106 wrote:To me, based on demos and specs (so caveat empor) it sounds like the oscillators are serviceable enough but aren't the greatest in the world (too limited). But the filter and effects seem very nice though. And of course the price is superb, along with the number of voices. So it could be worthwhile. The Juno 106 was kind of similar (limited oscillators with a great filter and chorus) after all. I just wonder if it holds up very well with no effects.

Yea. I dunno... I mean, the 106 without the chorus seems... not the 106. So the Deepmind has no effects? You mean they tried to "emulate" the 106 and didn't include the most important bit?

That's right shit tip.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:59 pm

It has lots of effects. I think he meant is it good with the off
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.