selfinflikted

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: selfinflikted

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm

generally I find VSTs amazing, but there's a few holes I can't seem to fill with one. Supersaws being one. Another is really deep S+S synthesis and also the hybrid sound, which I love as well.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
MetroSonus wrote: I may just have to break down and by one of these for it though... I mean I really could put the saw strings and pads to work on my ambiance stuff and i've never really found a VST that was as satisfying.

You really should just get one! Me getting mine has been one of the best gear purchases I've ever made.

I'm still kicking myself for having sold mine. I keep looking for good deals on SH-201s and JP8000s.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 pm

I have nothing constructive to contribute, so I'll just poast in an epic thread. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 pm

My thread does not require contribution. It may, however, require your souls. Or your soles.

ETA: My thread also does not require critiques of my workings, but I would sure like it if a few of you would chime in on yet another project I'm working on.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48199679/Misc%20Music/Selfinflikted%20-%20Disassociative%20v1.3.mp3

This is actually almost done. The only two things left are some synth parts on the bridge, and toadd vox (which won't happen until after Xmas. COME ON SANTA!) Anyway, critique if you want, ignore if you please. Either is good for me.

But I will be coming for your soles...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 pm

MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:20 am

:like: Nice!

So you like the MS better than the NL2x? That says a lot for the Korg.

How do you like the DTXplorer? If I ever get an edrum kit, I think I'd like that one very much.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Hurray! I feel special :cool:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Plink Floyd wrote::like: Nice!

So you like the MS better than the NL2x? That says a lot for the Korg.

How do you like the DTXplorer? If I ever get an edrum kit, I think I'd like that one very much.

Yes, I like the MS better, mainly (and hopefully obviously) for the sound but also for little nitpicky things like.. not being able to tempo sync the arps on the NL. I mean, really? It's a GREAT synth don't get me wrong, but it's just missing a few things that the MS has that makes it inferior for what I like to do.

As far as the DTXplorer goes, I basically taught myself to play drums on that thing. It's REALLY fun, and with a headset on I can play as loud as I want without disturbing the neighbors! The sounds that come with are nothing to write home about, but if you hook it up to a better brain (I use Dr-880) or have it trigger samples from some other source it's fine. The action on the pads are actually suprisingly good - not the same as an acoustic drumset obviously, but far better than I had imagined. For a set on the lower end of the pricing spectrum, I'd definitely recommend. I've had mine for about 4 years or so and play it often, hard, and for extended periods and I've not had to replace a single pad yet.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Coming along nicely :thu:

Can't wait to hear the vocal version.

COME ON SANTA

selfinflikted wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote: I've had mine for about 4 years or so and play it often, hard, and for extended periods and I've not had to replace a single pad yet.

Well, that's Yamaha for you. It's hard to break a Yamaha!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:45 pm

christianrock wrote:COME ON SANTA

A thousand times, this. Though, I gotta warn you - my vocals leave a LOT to be desired. I just do them myself because I don't have any friends.

christianrock wrote:Well, that's Yamaha for you. It's hard to break a Yamaha!

I had no idea, honestly. I think I paid a measely $800.00 for it from the dreaded local Guitar Center. But you're right, that thing is a tank. I don't think they produce the DTXplorer any longer, though. I want to say, if I'm remembering correctly, that the one I bought was the last one in stock at the local GC, and the rep told me they don't make 'em any more (but there are comparable sets that they do still produce). But you know, GC reps REALLY know what they're talking about, right? :eek:

ETA: And speaking of Yammies, I STILL haven't decided on whether I want to get that little Yamaha amp/emulator, the VOX one, or a POD. I thought I had settled on a POD, but I'm so fickle that I just don't know anymore. It'd be so much easier if I had a little person (I hear midget is now a faux pas) to keep in my pocket to make life-altering decisions for me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

selfinflikted wrote:ETA: And speaking of Yammies, I STILL haven't decided on whether I want to get that little Yamaha amp/emulator, the VOX one, or a POD. I thought I had settled on a POD, but I'm so fickle that I just don't know anymore. It'd be so much easier if I had a little person (I hear midget is now a faux pas) to keep in my pocket to make life-altering decisions for me.

I personally think the Yammy has more grit and would sound better for your style of music. It really has that "very loud tube amp" thing going well, better than any other digital amp (IMHO).

But I'm no one of the little people, so in the end you'll have to just check it out and see :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Well, the thing that has me leaning more towards that Yammy right now is that it IS an actual amp, with speakers, that can be mic'd. I know I'm SO far behind the times, but I asked Santa for a SM58 this year. I can't believe I didn't already have this mic, as I think it's as good for mic'ing cabs as it is for vox. (I know there's a SHURE condenser that's better for mic'ing cabs, but I just want one all-around good mic, on the cheap). Currently, I have a crappy Peavey mic that's probably 20 years old, and a no-name brand one that came with my last band's PA system.

Anyway, the point is... the last critique you did of one of my original songs, a comment you made about the guitars in the recording really hit home with me. You said they need more "air." I think that's EXACTLY what my guitars are missing, and I can remedy this through mic'ing a bona fide amp. Or, at least, that's what the current plan is anyway. Do you agree with my assessment?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Looking around on the net about the THR-10.. there doesn't seem to be any 1/4" stereo outs? Only a phones jack? Also, mic'ing 3" speakers seems ridonculous.... Audio over USB for recording only? Life is hard.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Well, the point of a digital amp is not to amp it :)

The 3" speaker is just for practicing at home without waking up others.

If you're going to amp something, mic a real tube amp.

And why is audio over USB a problem? You get higher quality audio that way.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 pm

christianrock wrote:Well, the point of a digital amp is not to amp it :)

Yea. I didn't realize the speakers were so small, and you're right of course. The point of an amp modeller is to NOT use an amp. Audio over USB isn't a problem per se but I have yet to break into that arena of DAWs, so I'm kinda hesitant for no other reason than I'm resistant to change. See how much of a newb I am? This is why I like hanging around here with you guys. I'm hoping that some of ya'lls awesomeness will rub off on me, sans cooties.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:17 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Well, the point of a digital amp is not to amp it :)

Yea. I didn't realize the speakers were so small, and you're right of course. The point of an amp modeller is to NOT use an amp. Audio over USB isn't a problem per se but I have yet to break into that arena of DAWs, so I'm kinda hesitant for no other reason than I'm resistant to change. See how much of a newb I am? This is why I like hanging around here with you guys. I'm hoping that some of ya'lls awesomeness will rub off on me, sans cooties.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Ok, I have to ask, since you guys post the funniest of the intarweb meme/e-card things: Do you guys keep a stockpile of those things on your HDD, or do you just google them to fit the occasion? I wanna be one of the cool kids...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 pm

I google stuff as needed to punctuate the perfect response.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Both.

Bwahahahah

But this time I googled
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm

heh. You guys are awesome!