I'm kinda hungry.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: I'm kinda hungry.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:18 pm

christianrock wrote:You grew up in a farm? That's pretty cool :)

My grandpa and grandma also had cows, horses, ducks, pigs... and quite a bit of land as well. After my grandpa died my grandma still had a cow and chickens for a few more years. Yard milk is as good as yard eggs and chicken :)

We didn't have livestock or anything, so it wasn't technically a "farm." But. Something my Treehouse frens may not know about me: I am an excellent horseback rider. As soon as I was able, I think around 6 or 7, my dad started putting me in horse shows n such. I have lots of blue ribbons from those days as a child. :facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:28 pm

That's pretty cool. I've doing some horse riding at my uncle's (my grandpa died when I was young and I didn't get to ride his horse before that). But I haven't spent that much time on one...

To me farm=good food, ahahah
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:11 pm

I have lots of blue ribbons from those days as a child. :facepalm:

I had lessons for a while but tbh never really took to it or felt like I could control the beasty.

My uncle had a farm that had no animals too lol although he did go out shooting wabbits, which he then eviscerated in front of me and put in salt water. Wabbit can be nice when cooked right but wasn't the way he did it. And it had shotgun pellets in it. :freak:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Purity_Control wrote:My uncle had a farm that had no animals too lol although he did go out shooting wabbits, which he then eviscerated in front of me and put in salt water. Wabbit can be nice when cooked right but wasn't the way he did it. And it had shotgun pellets in it. :freak:

Wabbits are getting a bad wap in this thread.

I can commiserate on the pellet thing. That was always the problem with eating dove after hunting. But dove and wabbit, sans pellets, are delicious. The proverbial wabbit stew is especially good.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:09 am

selfinflikted wrote:But dove and wabbit, sans pellets, are delicious. The proverbial wabbit stew is especially good.
My pop was a crack marksman. He bagged whatever was in season, and I think quail & pheasant awfully hard to beat.

We had wots of wabbits, but I just never wearned to wyke it. They just tasted...wascally.

I never liked squirrel either, they... WHA?

Homemade cackle fruit is indeed superior to store bought eggs. But, as a child, I had an aunt who kept guinea hens. Their ova was awful! Very gamey. Maybe she fed them on table scraps, idunno.
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 am

I tried to convince my sister to call the rabbit "Stu" as in short for Stuart.

Or, you know..... stew.

Oh and Plinky why u no liek soybeans? Unripe ones, steamed and sprinkled with sea salt........yum!
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:27 am

The only good thing about rabbits is when they have binkies......that's fun to watch.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:29 am

oh, and rabbit show jumping.

NSFW: show
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 am

Once upon a time a cohabitant said we should snitch some nearby field corn for cooking and nomming. I was all skeptical, but she knew just when to pick it, then soaked it in sugar water for a few hours before boiling. It was quite good. So I sayed "let's do soybeans next!" She sayed "no wai, yuk!" Once again, she was right. I'm not aware of any way to prepare them for human consumption, but the innernets inform me that it does indeed happen. Of this I can assure you: no self respecting corn/bean farmer in this state eats them. Kind of like the Europeans used to be about corn & potatoes.

I do however lubs me some soy sauce...

:idk:
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 pm

hehe Plinky you crack me up.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I'm not aware of any way to prepare them for human consumption, but the innernets inform me that it does indeed happen.

My wife happens to love boiled soybeans that are picked while young and still edible (edamame). I do not.

When the beans get hard, then yes, they are mostly useless in their natural state. You either let a Yucky But Oddly Tasty Mold called koji go to work on the beans (soy sauce, miso, etc.). Or you crush the beans into a milky like thingy (soy milk, tofu is "soy milk cheese" / coagulated soy milk). Or use the beans for oil.

I think most soybeans are grown for oil and animal feed protein... even with all of the sushi restaurants that have sprung up everywhere, there's only so much soy sauce one can consume.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:even with all of the sushi restaurants that have sprung up everywhere, there's only so much soy sauce one can consume.

Indeed. A little bit goes a LONG way. Especially where sushi is concerned.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:44 pm

You either let a Yucky But Oddly Tasty Mold called koji go to work on the beans (soy sauce, miso, etc.).

There is a wonderful anime called Moyashimon about a boy who goes to a Japanese agricultural college who can see bacteria.

One of his professors is obsessed with fermentation... I think the grossest is a weird inuit dish he tries to recreate by burying a dead seal stuffed with dead seaguls... lol it's kind of surreal.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Once upon a time a cohabitant said we should snitch some nearby field corn for cooking and nomming. I was all skeptical, but she knew just when to pick it, then soaked it in sugar water for a few hours before boiling. It was quite good. So I sayed "let's do soybeans next!" She sayed "no wai, yuk!" Once again, she was right. I'm not aware of any way to prepare them for human consumption, but the innernets inform me that it does indeed happen. Of this I can assure you: no self respecting corn/bean farmer in this state eats them. Kind of like the Europeans used to be about corn & potatoes.

I do however lubs me some soy sauce...

:idk:

My mom would sometimes make a soybean soup, the same way we Brazilians do bean soup: with good bits of smoked pork and bacon for flavoring, plus onions, garlic, pepper, salt, etc. Needless to say, it came out quite good, like everything that has bacon in it :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:22 pm

christianrock wrote:...quite good, like everything that has bacon in it :lol:

This is truth. Bacon, or bacon drippings, makes almost everything better.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:40 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. My wife, being of southern origins, put bacon grease in everything. The one night in bed she says for no reason "you know my family has a history of heart disease". And I said does it have anything to do with that giant chinese soup container filled with bacon grease?

it was gone the next day..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:44 pm

hehe

I don't put it in *everything*, but if there is a bean or a pea or a turnip/collard in a pot on my stove, it's gonna have bacon grease in it. Not enough to form a solid layer over the top after the pot has been refrigerated, but enough to give a little of that salty/porky flavor. Just enough.

Oh, and if you make cornbread, for heaven's sake - grease the damn pan with bacon drippings! :cop:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:52 pm

I have tried to shy away from bacon, but every now and then...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:54 pm

For health reasons? It surely couldn't be any other way...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Of course... 20 years from now, I don't want all my arteries clogged up, if I can help it :)

Plus when I eat stuff with bacon, even a bacon cheeseburger, I always feel yuck afterwards. I think it's my body's way of telling me, you'll regret this :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.