Other people's music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Other people's music

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 am

Dang, you know someone who could improvise over that? PLAYER LEVEL: MAXIMUM EXPERT
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:40 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:it's very disorienting, because the key keeps changing by a major third. To my uneducated ear, it sounds like there's no "center" to the piece, makes it hard to play intuitively.

That's not uneducated, that's correct. Avoiding a dominant central tonic seemed to be a pretty major goal of many classical and jazz pieces in the late 19th century to the mid 20th century or so. The results are sometimes not very nice sounding to me (Schoenberg's 12 tone stuff) but many of the late Romantic - early modern classical stuff often sounds nice to me, as does many of the "modal jazz" applications ala Giant Steps.

I could probably fumble at the keyboard and write something down that would work with that Coltrane style shifting third chord pattern, but improvise? No way. Probably not even at speeds much slower than Giants Steps. (In jazz skillset level I'm at the point where I still have to remind myself what the triangle after the chord name on jazz charts is about. :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:31 pm

I was a high-ish level classical pianist but all my material was thoroughly practiced and never improvised lol

I used to play some saxophone stuff and could get away with a couple bad notes parlayed into the good ones.

at a certain point all the notes seem weird and bad with some jazz styles and I've never had any interest in that stuff

having said that, with "play button" djs selling out stadiums and festivals, subtle autotune on every singer for the past 10+ years, and quantized everything, I think there will be a time when chops make a comeback

...just hopefully not jazz, that music has been dead and decaying like a zombie-leper tainting all different types of styles it touches. maybe its not jazz actually but just the over-intellectualization of music that really irritates me, with jazz being the most prominent victim to date? lol

the canonization of art in general is tricky imho. recording and preserving things tends to be unnecessary unless they're dying?
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:31 pm

gregwar wrote:I think there will be a time when chops make a comeback

...just hopefully not jazz, that music has been dead and decaying like a zombie-leper tainting all different types of styles it touches.

:eek:

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:06 pm

gregwar wrote:...just hopefully not jazz, that music has been dead and decaying like a zombie-leper tainting all different types of styles it touches. maybe its not jazz actually but just the over-intellectualization of music that really irritates me, with jazz being the most prominent victim to date? lol

Heh, I will admit these days a bias towards intellectual "head music" (such as Western classical) these days, and I'm listening to some prog rock at the moment. So nyah. :p

It is true, though, that simple can be good. The best rock and roll is often simple. BUT there is a caveat. The best simple rock and roll has a certain sort of energy and passion to it. I mean, Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" is simple (twelve bar blues (I IV I V etc. in Bb)). But it has a propulsive energy, and kick-ass blues style guitar playing. James Brown or George Clinton created extended compositions that groove on a single chord vamp. But again, there was a mastery of groove. If you can't play "between the notes", this kind of stuff going to kind of be lame, I think.

One of the problems with the switch to quantized electronic Autotuned everything is that in my opinion it kind of sucks the soul out simple loop music, because so much depends on what happens "between the notes". The computer transition happened roughly around the same time pop started switching away from verse-chord-verse dominance to four-bar-loop dominant, which further adds to the boredom. I mean, quantized stuff is great when you *want* that soul-less sort of mechanical feeling (see: trance music), but applied to big pop, to me, it makes it rather boring.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:53 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Listening to Coltrane's Giant Steps, again. It always bugged me that I couldn't figure out the chord changes, so I found them in a book I had and tried to learn it over the weekend.

Ye gods.

it's very disorienting, because the key keeps changing by a major third. To my uneducated ear, it sounds like there's no "center" to the piece, makes it hard to play intuitively.

Anyway. :grin:

Those thirds ARE the giant steps. That's the whole pernt.

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:13 am

soundwave106 wrote:
gregwar wrote:It is true, though, that simple can be good.

Indeed

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:18 pm

speaking of chopsx.. that's why I love metal / hard rock. Nothing hits the sweet spot like a good guitar solo or bass riff..

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:43 pm

I found this really odd !

:wave:
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 am

EP, whatcha think of this?

ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Damn. I mean: Damn.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:12 pm

ClavAnother wrote:EP, whatcha think of this?

Art Tatum. He died pretty young unfortunately, at 47. Good stuff.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Ahem...

(Screamo Dude = Guitar Boy)
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:06 pm

no thank you
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 pm

O RLY? :grin: Does he do that home, too? I'd be all, "GUITAR BOY, stop summoning demons and scaring away Death, it's time for bed!"

lol
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:00 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:"GUITAR BOY, stop summoning demons and scaring away Death"

He's recently departed the nest. But yeah, when he was learning to screamo it taxed our patience, what with the blood curdling and the demons & infernal imps lying around everywhere under foot.

I'm thinking the scaring away Death thing will someday come in handy, though.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Ahem...

(Screamo Dude = Guitar Boy)

Pretty neat. I like that style of music quite a lot actually. :clap:

It looks like Guitar Boy is doing well. He certainly can do the screamo thing and the whole band just rocks.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:39 am

:wave:

Posting again because Rhodes, B3, and Model D

Excellent execution live.

And it's deuce, which frankly isn't any better. The thing was doomed from the beginning. Never had a chance.

:jam:
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:41 pm

This is not bad to get in a Friday afternoon mood :thu:

Actually - it looks like youtubes aren't working...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:13 pm

U see black monoliths too?

Whew. I was about to start jumping around and hammering you guys with a femur bone or something.
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.