Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:52 am

So, did anyone see Birdman? Or Grand Budapest Hotel? Theory of Everything?

I finally saw Guardians, a fun romp but too long.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Did you think Guardians was too long? I was having enough fun that I didn't notice. Teh Wife and I saw Grand Budapest when it was released. It's good, definitely quirky. Wes Anderson definitely has a style, and if you like his stuff, Grand Budapest is true to form.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:00 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Did you think Guardians was too long? I was having enough fun that I didn't notice.
I'll admit that I didn't have the optimal viewing environment. GOTG was the second of a double feature shown in my fam room one evening. Among the audience were various chatty people who weren't really fans of that genre. To fully describe them, it is only necessary to mention that they chose as the first feature The Hunger Games.*

So I intend to watch Guardians again, because I really really wanted to like it. It should be exactly my kind of show.

*I was fully prepared to hate Teh Games, but I didn't think it too bad after all. It is most certainly too long.
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:55 pm

I didn't think Guardians was too long, for my tastes it kept my interest with splendidly bonkers stuff that just kept coming.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:31 pm

grand budapest was good but weird, like wes anderson (?) I haven't seen many of his films 7/10

birdman was really good, also weird. the acting, story, etc excellent 9/10

American sniper was pretty good 7/10

I started watching better call saul and now I have to re watch breaking bad at sum point. kinda like when I seen the 3rd hobbit movie and had to rewatch lord of the rings :face palm:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:58 pm

I had typed a reply yesterday, but I didn't want to poo poo breaking bad too much, since greg mentioned better caul saul above.

But I wanted to ruminate on the unlikable, underhanded character. I don't think for the most part, it comes off well. When characters like that are created, they tend to be wormy, whiny and slimy. And too an extent that's ok, but I don't think the scripts really justify it or at least give it the weight that it needs for them to do what they do.

I found that the case with Walter and Penguin in Gotham and if you want to go a stretch, the 6th Doctor in DW, who was supposed to be unlikable as well. I guess to an extent unlikable = annoying and as I said about depth, these characters would have been offed early in the show. Penguin now has his own club, but based on what merit? Milktoast he may be, but he lacks the smarts to pull it off, so why was he given it? Same thing with walter and gus. Walter did not have the cred to pull something off with gus, still it happened. Both of them should have been killed a long time ago.

Anyway, lets examine Dr Smith from lost in space, mainly around season 1, before they traded up to tom foolery, as a contrasting example. Sure he's whiny, but he has the narcissism to inflate his ego and influence over others (which both walter and penguin lack) and even though most of the plot / writing is threadbare, I thought he was scripted quite well in being able to bargain and manipulate his way through things.

Yesterday made me think of it.. I was watching an episode where judy was eaten by a plant and turned into a pod person. Despite not having anything to do with it, Smith was able to both keep his hands clean and wring the situation to his advantage.

I guess it's no surprise that I'm more of a fan of technical writing. That is, reading or writing something that is written like a chess game or game of mouse trap. Today's TV is more about shocking people and over the top characters, with the actual plot second.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:06 am

MetroSonus wrote:I guess it's no surprise that I'm more of a fan of technical writing. That is, reading or writing something that is written like a chess game or game of mouse trap. Today's TV is more about shocking people and over the top characters, with the actual plot second.
What think y'all of The Closer? I've been binging on it for a few months now. I've never been a fan of police procedurals but I'm quite taken with this one. I've always liked G. W. Bailey, & I find Kyra Sedgwick hawt in some undefinable way.

Thank yew. Thank yew verrah mu-uch.

-

I like Wes Anderson's stuff. It reminds me of John Irving.
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:36 pm

I quite like the way Penguin is portrayed in Gotham, I don't think what he's doing should have been effective at pulling a fast one on Falcone, but it is a comic book adaptation. He's devious and really quite evil at times with a dash of moustache twirlling.

And he doesn't really proper own the club even if he does, he's still looking after it for Falcone.

Fish Mooney on the other hand I can't stand. The character is bland and making her kinkier than a corrugated iron roof to try and spice her up is just annoying.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:12 pm

What think y'all of The Closer?

I haven't seen it yet, but my boss recommended it as well. I read into it and the guy based it on the old mission impossible, so I'll probably like it. I set the DVR to record it, but I haven't gotten any yet. That either means it's not on recently or it's on a channel I don't get.

I quite like the way Penguin is portrayed in Gotham

I do too, but his schemes don't have weight or that is to say they never have enough leverage. I think that's a shame as his character already has more depth than Walter (which I also thought was a pointless shame).

Fish Mooney on the other hand I can't stand. The character is bland and making her kinkier than a corrugated iron roof to try and spice her up is just annoying.

I guess we're past the days where shows like this pulled their own weight and were given trust and free reign. It's fan pandering :cry: I guess if at least one of your characters isn't a trisexual, have vampire milf hunter from the underground land of fraggle rock, you loose half of your projected preteen tween audience.

Gotham keeps it in check for the most part. Although in the maybe the last episode or two, I thought it was going to get extra creepy between Jim's ex and Selina and I was like hell no, I'm out. Kids now? F that.

I guess in part Selina is sexy (when she grows up) and I do like how in general Gotham is giving the characters a lot more depth than the comics ever got into and maybe jim's ex is like a femme fatale mentor for her. But given that she too has had her own weird les thing going.. it's like torchwood. le sigh :lol: I guess we'll see where it goes.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:25 pm

I gave up on Gotham. It was... I don't know... it just wasn't keeping me, I guess. The characters would do dumb things, and I'd be all, "Whaaaa?"
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Yea.. it's got it's share of strangeness, strange pacing etc. It's not perfect. Gives me something to do on my lunch break :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:17 pm

So, Teh Wife and I have already bought tickets to see Age of Ultron at the frou-frou theater. :lol:

...did I already mention that here? WHERE'S MY MIND
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Isn't that a summer release? :freak:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Isn't that a summer release? :freak:

May 2. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:33 pm

April 23rd here, apparently! :idk:

I think I'm away that weekend, so probably will let the fuss die down, or go to a daytime performance if I can.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Mmmmn 3D screening at 3.45pm today, gonna hope the schools are back from their Easter break, might give it a miss if it looks crazy busy with annoying people.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Go see it, it's a lot of fun. The only thing I will spoiler is that there's been quite a bit of trailer content that has been very misleading.

I do like how they've done Scarlett Witch, even if it is a bit odd having an alt version of X-men characters in a non-X-men movie.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Awwwww you got to see it already?!? :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:03 pm

yES! bECAUSE i'M SPEshUL!
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 pm

:mad: :mad: :mad: REPORTED :mad: :mad: :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.