Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 am

And I'm so SO SO afraid for this one:

Soon...
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:32 am

In the meantime (I don't care what they say), ima rent John Carter.

Which would have earned moar cred had they called it John Carter, Whupass Warlord of Mars!
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:17 pm

captain phillips ZOMG TOM HANKS 9/10

not for the faint of heart

better than black hawk down and zero dark thirty for sure, could be the movie of the year

the note book prolly a 7/10 (lol this chick made me watch it)

still i was surprised at how good the the story was. even tho it was fairly predictable that didn't diminish the emotional impact

(i also cracked the davinci code half way through that movie, so maybe its not that predictable)
gregwar

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Poop... I keep meaning to get around to watching Machete... and now the sequel is out!

Machete don't tweet! :lol:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 am

Watched Terminator with 17 Y.O. son. Overall, he liked it, but I was glad I hadn't hyped it as anything more than recommended viewing for film mavens, of which title he aspires. During the last fight scenes he made funz of 1984 efx: when the terminator's stop-action endoskeleton was lurching after Ms. Conner & the future guy, my son laughed "Holy Harryhausen!"

- - -

Fun flick fact: In 1983 when director J. Cameron was casting for the movie, the studio suggested O. J. Simpson for the role of the Terminator, but Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:03 am

Plink Floyd wrote:In the meantime (I don't care what they say), ima rent John Carter.

Which would have earned moar cred had they called it John Carter, Whupass Warlord of Mars!

\.:confuse:.? :idk: i would just go back and reread 'chessmen from mars' instead :idk: \.:confuse:.?
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:04 am

p.s. i dont care what they say either :jam:
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 am

:wave:

Did you see it?

And did you know Harlan Ellison successfully sued James Cameron for stealing the underlying idea for Terminator?

Harlan is a badass writer.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:13 am

I d k who either of them are, but I did see it.

Dont mistake me for saying you shouldnt see it... i haz a just-sayin id reread C.F.M. instead.

...but i'm weird that way :freak:

:freak:
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:46 am

ClavAnother wrote:I d k who either of them are, but I did see it.

Dont mistake me for saying you shouldnt see it... i haz a just-sayin id reread C.F.M. instead.

...but i'm weird that way :freak:
Not too weird, I re-read my favorites often.

- - -

Harlan Ellison has written lots of really good stuff: You could start with this one:

or

City on the Edge of Forever
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 am

Fun flick fact: In 1983 when director J. Cameron was casting for the movie, the studio suggested O. J. Simpson for the role of the Terminator, but Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.

reputedly Billy Idol was considered for the role too, although that might be bullsh*t.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:And did you know Harlan Ellison successfully sued James Cameron for stealing the underlying idea for Terminator?
Harlan is a badass writer.

Careful with this one. Harlan may be a great writer, but he's also an insufferable asshole. :lol:

Which unfortunately means that Harlan Ellison *is* overly lawsuit happy. I've heard Cameron bitch that the only reason he settled was because he was young and didn't know any better. Harlan had to withdraw his lawsuit over In Time a couple years ago because, well, he was wrong, and has done some other IMHO questionable suing (eg Fantagraphics) and other questionable behavior.

I have a feeling that the outcome would be much different if Harlan Ellison tried to tackle the James Cameron of today. It would probably be a Great Dust-up that could generate much traffic on whatever the media gossip site of the day is.

Personally, I would have to review the Ellison stories in question to make up my mind (I haven't seen them).

Terminator OTOH is a good film, and I like that low-budget-sci-fi feel it has (clunky stop-motion and all), so there. :)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:16 pm

soundwave106 wrote:Terminator OTOH is a good film, and I like that low-budget-sci-fi feel it has (clunky stop-motion and all), so there. :)

Yes. Movies like that always make me all nostalgic and stuff. Much like the crap stop-motion in the original Clash of the Titans. Love it. :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I saw oblivion not too long ago. Meh.

They said it was a tribute to 70's films, but I think it had more 90's films in it that anything. For a traditional sci fi piece, there wasn't enough social or political commentary in it or any science really.

Very neat concept, nice to look at, but no real conflict or anything.. a typical "now" movie. Just shut up and watch.. Shame though, it really could have been cool. And they never explained why morgan freedman wanted to call down the space ship with the signal thingy. But I did end up liking it more than I thought I would.

That's exactly how I found "moon". Except the arguing and weirdness really pissed me off and the fact they gave away the plot twist right in the beginning.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 pm

The first two Alien movies and Event Horizon are probably my fav sci-fi movies of all time. Unless I'm forgetting something. I have yet to see Oblivion.

(I did not include Star Wars because while it's technically sci-fi, it's *really* more of a western set in space.)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 pm

While I really like Alien, i'm more of a bitter realist when it come to sci fi and I tend to lean towards the 60's / 70's stuff.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:04 pm

For instance ?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Westworld, soylent green, silent running, dark star ( I think you'd love that one.. it's a carpenter film before carpenter was carpenter! many visual cues from event horizon are in it), logan's run, android and many more i've lost track of.

heh.. now you've got me researching 70's sci fi movies..
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:33 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Westworld, soylent green, silent running, dark star ( I think you'd love that one.. it's a carpenter film before carpenter was carpenter! many visual cues from event horizon are in it), logan's run, android and many more i've lost track of.

heh.. now you've got me researching 70's sci fi movies..

I've seen a couple of those, but not Dark Star - and I am a HUGE Carpenter fan... not only of his movies but also of his synthing! Prince of Darkness is one of his best, imo. I will have to consult IMDB and read up on Dark Star. Any more that you think I would like, post 'em! Horror and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres, so with a combo of the two you just about can't go wrong. :jam:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Did you like Futureworld, Metro?

I love that one, even if it could have probably done without Yul Brenner light in the dream scene.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.