Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Epic Motion Picture Cinematic Thead

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm

christianrock wrote:I haz not seen la la land.
fgvdf.jpeg[/img]

I aint even heard of it. Sounds dum
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 pm

It's a musical that won the oscar for best movie. For about what, 2 minutes?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I hear they're going to attempt to cinimatize "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".

Squee!

The working title is "Uprising".

Idiots.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

After seeing what happened to Enders game and THHGTTG, I have no faith in the ability to turn a sci-fi book into a movie.
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

i went to geostorm it was meh in my opinion

the concept of a geostorm was somewhat original even if many aspects of the plot & plot devices were not.

it was either that or blade runner, i or it to a vote and lost 2 to 1 :facepalm:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Was there really a choice? lol
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:08 pm

I've got tickets to see the new Thor. I've heard it's better than the previous Thor films, but maybe not quite the top of the MCU yet.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I heard Ragnarok is the funniest MCU flick yet. I think it will have to be extremely humorous to beat Spider-Man Homecoming, at which I lold frequently.

Teh Mrs is unabashedly infatuated with Thor. Stupid muscles & chiseled looks...
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 pm

yeah see, meine frau is ga-ga over Captain Americeps. Go figure. :lol:

I mean, just look at me! ARE YOU NOT AROUSED??

yeah, me neither. lol
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 pm

gonna go see Coco tonight; we do enjoy a good Pixar flick.

Also, gonna see The Star Wat movie sunday night. I have a glee! It's supposed to be pretty good, eh?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Also, gonna see The Star Wat movie sunday night. I have a glee! It's supposed to be pretty good, eh?

Current Star Wars The Last Jedi critic review on Rotten Tomatoes: 93% liked it! Or, a solid "thumbs up" from critics.
Current Star Wars The Last Jedi user review on Rotten Tomatoes: 56% liked it. So, um, a solid meh from fans.

Not sure what that means. I cannot tell if it's either genuinely flawed, in some of the modern Star Trek / Doctor Who senses (eg: throwing the audience rapid-fire SURPRISE REVEALS!! , unnecessary PLOT TWISTS!! and whiz-bang effects that, in the end, makes no logical sense). Or whether its just SW neckbeards that need to get a life. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Veracohr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 am

The new Thor is indeed worth watching! One-liners and witty quips left and right!
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:34 pm

soundwave106 wrote:Not sure what that means. I cannot tell if it's either genuinely flawed, in some of the modern Star Trek / Doctor Who senses (eg: throwing the audience rapid-fire SURPRISE REVEALS!! , unnecessary PLOT TWISTS!! and whiz-bang effects that, in the end, makes no logical sense). Or whether its just SW neckbeards that need to get a life. :lol:

It means it was crap. You will likely never find a bigger SW fan than me. At least, a bigger fan of the original trilogy. I have all the dialog committed to memory. All of it. I had the VHS tapes when I was a kid (God I wish I still had them, they are worth a fortune today - they were the originals) and I wore them slap out.

Having said that, I thought Ep VIII was crap. It was not good. Also, I do not have a neck beard.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:30 pm

The latest Thor is lotsa fun. I sat there thinking "my my, but isn't there lots of synth goodnes in this soundtrak? Reminds me of Vangelis or Jarre." Should have reminded me of Devo, yes?

A synthy selection:

This should be an inspiration to us all. It just goes to show what one can accomplish with a little talent and a few synths.

And a buttload of Hollywood money for a top flight orchestra/techs/assistants/giant studio ect.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:24 am

Plink Floyd wrote:And a buttload of Hollywood money for a top flight orchestra/techs/assistants/giant studio ect.

Quibble on your aside: I am hearing some loudness-war era type distortion on some of these tracks (at the very least, some distracting (to me) compression artifacts or something).

It might be the Youtubes (notoriously a bad platform for audio HQ) doing this. But as a general aside, The Loudness War has always been funny to me in that way. You have top flight gear, techs, assistants, giant studio, and then proceed to run it through the BIG MASTER SQUASH and turn the music dynamics to shit.

(Which is apparently what many people want, except for the vocal minority that notices, I guess. :lol: )

The synth plus orchestra integration is a little too "Zimmeresque" for me. Style wise for my film score, I prefer the Romantic orchestral film score revival John Williams essentially set off with Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, etc. (Old "Golden Age" scores from the 1930s-1960s are pretty cool too.) So in terms of synth + orchestra, say, what Basil Poledouris did for Robocop is more to my liking. I realize this is me telling everyone to get off my lawn (eg, it's a "taste thing").

But I overall approve of the synth. "Synthwave", which imitates all of those 1980s synth-only soundtracks, is a Thing Now and apparently has snuck into recent material (Drive, Stranger Things). Why not have one of *the* original folks of 1980s Synth make Synthwave? For me, they could've gotten rid of the orchestra and it probably would've been better. :cool:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 am

Yeah, I take no responsibility for utoob dynamics. Honestly, I didn't notice that it was that bad here on my PC speakers. If I were to obtain that album, I'd obviously get better files.

I certainly didn't notice any squashing in the theater. And I employed (as I always do if possible) the Sheldon Cooper Method of selecting the Optimal Seat of Sweet Spotness. Actually I already know where it is in my local place: dead center, right behind the wheelchair spaces. To occupy said spot, I usually wait several weeks after a film debuts. I think there were about six people in the place when I saw Ragnarok last weekend.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:12 pm

btw, someone should make a plugin called THE BIG SQUASH™. I'm home on vaca this week so I'm too busy to make this pic for it:

A little white dog sitting with his head cocked in a listing attitude, like the old RCA logo.
But instead of an gramophone, he's sitting next to a bench clamp.

Caption: "His Master's Vice".
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

:galfclop:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:24 am

Obviously a plugin called THE BIG SQUASH would need an advanced settings feature called GOURD MODE. (Dodges pumpkins)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:19 pm

I bet John Meloncamp would use it.
Plink Floyd

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.