Twice I have visited this forum and not a single new post.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Twice I have visited this forum and not a single new pos

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm glad this thread was saved from getting too Python silly. :cop:

MetroSonus wrote:That usually happens. :lol: Most hong kong movies I've seen always turn out to be the 90's unless they're some really obvious golden harvest or shaw brothers stuff. There wasn't much going on in the 80's aside from John Woo and some drama.

There's some Jackie Chan 80s movies that are good, but yeah, the 90s were HK's golden era. Then Hollywood discovered Hong Kong in the late 90s and copycatted all their techniques. :lol: From what I understand, the industry pretty much collapsed in the early 2000s and hasn't recovered since.

I have A Chinese Ghost Story on DVD, but I can't remember watching it since the early 2000s either. :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Yea Jackie Chan was active through the 80's..

It collapsed because of the hong kong hand over to main land china in 1999. I think since most of the films are violent in nature and deal with crime, they wouldn't have been allowed to be made otherwise and there's just too much red tape with the communists.

That wouldn't stop them from doing 70's-esque films, but I guess there's no more interest in that.

Most "hong kong" films aren't made in hong kong either. They're typically made (a majority of the filming) either in Canada or Australia by production companies that are based in HK.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Armour of God was a goody... I don't think I ever saw it all the way through but the bit where Jackie Chan's 'suicide bomb' goes wrong is hilarious.

Can't find it on yoochube right now.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.