The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:04 pm

MetroSonus wrote:It's actually it's own ten megapixel camera. The concept sounded neat.. you get a 10 times zoom lens, HD etc, but you have to connect it to your PC to get the images. Your phone acts as a view finder via wi fi. I figured it's too gimmicky to be worth anything though.


Yeah, at that point - why not just use a camera that has tethering? I bet that a wi-fi viewfinder will have some pretty unpleasant lag. Just to point out one of the inadequacies.
I remember when Sony released this thing, the reaction from one of the top photography websites was "here is Sony again releasing a product no one ever asked for..." :lol:
You can't blame them for trying. They're famous for throwing a ton of things out there to see what sticks... and IMHO the A7II is the most interesting new camera out there at the moment. Too bad it doesn't have affordable good lenses for it... but that's Sony also - starting something cool and then not finishing up the whole concept. And that is why Canon still rules the rooster even if they are the farthest from "cutting edge" in terms of technology - they always think of all the details and get them worked out.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby midinut » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:53 am

I dunno. I wonder sometimes if Nikon doesn't have a bigger market share than Canon. I subscribe to a pot full of Photo blogs and FB pages and even when checking out YouTube videos about DSLR stuff, I see way more attention given to Nikon than Canon. I've got a Canon T4i that I've had for a couple of years. I need to take a Photography class at school as an elective next semester so I can get the most out of this camera. It'll do sooo much and yet I shoot it on Auto mostly. I know it'll do 1080p HD video and I haven't dabbled with that either. When I bought it, that was also one of my intensions.
User avatar
midinut
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 am

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:05 pm

It's pretty much "Nikon vs. Canon" at this point for top dog DSLR gear. They both seem to make quality products; it boils really down to preference. They both ruled the roost back in the film days, so if anything (unlike some technologies) it just shows how much the glass side of the equation matters (as both have really ruled the glass market both back in the film days and now).

Pentax, Olympus, and Sony are the "second tier" sales wise. All three of these as far as I know also make a fine quality DLSR system, but they may lack a few esoterics that only "top pros" would typically care about. They do provide some other tangible benefits, for example, I think Pentax has the only weather sealed DSLR I could find in the price range (the Pentax K-30). The lens selection tends to slightly lack though.

(All three incidentally were second tier leaders in the film days as well, if you count Sony taking over the Konica Minolta line. Even Googling there's only a couple of obscure brands that I could find that made 35mm SLRs but did not eventually make a DSLR. One of those obscure brands is Casio. :confuse: )
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 am

Casio made SLRs? (googlegooglegoogle) By golly they did! And they offered two K mount lenses...
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:46 pm

midinut wrote:I dunno. I wonder sometimes if Nikon doesn't have a bigger market share than Canon. I subscribe to a pot full of Photo blogs and FB pages and even when checking out YouTube videos about DSLR stuff, I see way more attention given to Nikon than Canon. I've got a Canon T4i that I've had for a couple of years. I need to take a Photography class at school as an elective next semester so I can get the most out of this camera. It'll do sooo much and yet I shoot it on Auto mostly. I know it'll do 1080p HD video and I haven't dabbled with that either. When I bought it, that was also one of my intensions.


Nearly all soccer moms (and dads) use Canon.

Lots of pros use Canon as well. In Brazil, for example, Canon's support and availability is MUCH much superior to Nikon's. So they pretty much own that market, for example.

soundwave106 wrote:It's pretty much "Nikon vs. Canon" at this point for top dog DSLR gear. They both seem to make quality products; it boils really down to preference. They both ruled the roost back in the film days, so if anything (unlike some technologies) it just shows how much the glass side of the equation matters (as both have really ruled the glass market both back in the film days and now).

Pentax, Olympus, and Sony are the "second tier" sales wise. All three of these as far as I know also make a fine quality DLSR system, but they may lack a few esoterics that only "top pros" would typically care about. They do provide some other tangible benefits, for example, I think Pentax has the only weather sealed DSLR I could find in the price range (the Pentax K-30). The lens selection tends to slightly lack though.

(All three incidentally were second tier leaders in the film days as well, if you count Sony taking over the Konica Minolta line. Even Googling there's only a couple of obscure brands that I could find that made 35mm SLRs but did not eventually make a DSLR. One of those obscure brands is Casio. :confuse: )


Actually it's more like this: Canon and Nikon are first tier, Sony is 2nd tier, and everybody else is just scratching to survive.

However, Ricoh bought Pentax over a couple years ago. They've been quietly working on building up the relationship with dealers and revamping the lineup. Just like copiers used to be a Canon vs Xerox only game, and Ricoh came out of friggin nowhere and now is the market leader, they are slowly trying to do the same with Pentax. Next week we should see a big step in that direction with the Pentax Full Frame camera announcement. They already have the best APS-C on the market (K-3) and the best medium format digital camera (the 8.5 thousand dollar 645Z - a bargain at that price for what it does, they can't make enough of them).

Plink Floyd wrote:Casio made SLRs? (googlegooglegoogle) By golly they did! And they offered two K mount lenses...


You laugh, but they were actually decent.

Also, Kodak is making mirrorless cameras now that can take all current Panasonic and Olympus lenses. I have to wonder how well they will do... I have a soft spot for the Kodak name, as it was our first (crappy) camera in the 70s...
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Was your Kodak an instamatic? Everyone had one. It took horrible pictures. When we got a Canon AE-1 and took slides we were all, "whoooaaa."
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Of course it was an instamatic. And of course it sucked :lol:

It was never upgraded. The family just stopped taking pictures. I have only a couple pictures from my days as a kid and no pictures from the time I was a teenager.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Shutter with mirror

Image

Mirrorless

Image

Leaf Shutter (large format)

Image

Iris closing and opening: http://vimeo.com/22584214

In-lens image stabilization: http://vimeo.com/22584214
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:50 pm

I see the thread's been renamed. Too bad Jyoti hasn't been around, he's a cool guy.

And nobody probably cares, but I'm pretty excited that Pentax is making a pitch at the professional market again. Last year with the 645Z (larger than full frame) and now they announced a new digital full frame camera and there's a plethora of full frame lenses coming. Which means some years down the line I'll be able to afford a used one to use all my full frame lenses with in-body shake reduction :)
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:12 pm

So I'm assuming they're still making film? :thu:
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 pm

MetroSonus wrote:So I'm assuming they're still making film? :thu:


They still make film but Pentax doesn't make film cameras.

I'm talking about a full frame and medium format digital cameras. Now Pentax has both... well they've had medium format digital since 2010 but now have the best one out there, for the lowest price. Which is still 8.5 thousand dollars... similar offerings from Leica and Hasselblaad are well over 20K.
The full frame will cost just over 2 thousand dollars and be aimed at Nikon and Canon's 3K+ offerings.

Anyway. These are distant dreams at the moment, but one day I'll have at least the full frame. :smoke:
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:33 am

christianrock wrote:distant dreams at the moment, but one day I'll have at least the full frame. :smoke:
You haz moar srs CAS than I, mah fren. My T3i is more cam than I need.

And, I wasn't laughing @ Casio, I really didn't know they made SLRs. I like Casio stuff; I wish they would jump deeper into the synth biz.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:58 am

While I was in Fla, teh Wyfe cruised the Adriatic with a Coolpix. She snapped Parthenon pix in Athens:

Image

Image

Image

btw, ^these^ just copies of teh genuine Caryatids. The originals have been on display in the Brit museum ever since they were snatched by the Brits. Teh Greaks haz a mad @ U Purity!
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 am

Some digs in Turkey:

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:04 am

Dalmatia Coast (Croatia):

Image

Image

Image

Image

boB, IZ THAT U?
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:15 am

And Venice:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Y U POOPOO DA PEEPEE DA ALLEY?
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:40 pm

that kinda looks like..... don't shoplift bowling balls and then deposit them in the alley? :confuse:

So wait.. you mean ta tell me when you were here,, with the kids, your wife was over there?

I just wanna know what you did to get in the doghouse.. :lol: and did you take photos? because I bet it was epic.
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:32 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
christianrock wrote:distant dreams at the moment, but one day I'll have at least the full frame. :smoke:
You haz moar srs CAS than I, mah fren. My T3i is more cam than I need.

And, I wasn't laughing @ Casio, I really didn't know they made SLRs. I like Casio stuff; I wish they would jump deeper into the synth biz.


Probably not more serious. Just got more CBA/LBA (Camera/Lens Buying Addiction) :lol:

If all I ever had was my 2008 K20D camera with a prime (fixed) 35mm lens, I'd probably still not be able to master it properly... and I'd still have awesome pictures.

I loved the series your wife took in her cruise btw.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:04 am

MetroSonus wrote:So wait.. you mean ta tell me when you were here,, with the kids, your wife was over there?

I just wanna know what you did to get in the doghouse.. :lol: and did you take photos? because I bet it was epic.
Her bestie took her on the cruise & payed for it because teh Wyfe helped her with a side business which did pretty well, apparently...

I splained all this @ the time, but it must have been lost among the awesomeness of the meetup.

:smoke:
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:06 am

christianrock wrote:I loved the series your wife took in her cruise
That was just a small sampling. She came home with over 600 pics.

:eek:
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: christianrock, selfinflikted and 3 guests