The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:20 am

Pixing is fun. And easy to get totally gearslutty because lots of photo widgets are really inexpensive or easy to diy.

---

Here are a couple of specimens from Ye Olde Curiosity Pile:

Believe it or not: instant pix on a roll. And pretty sucky they were, I'll bet.

---

16mm HD! (hardly discernible lol).

"THIS MAGAZINE IS THE PROPERTY OF KODAK". I guess you had to send the whole thing to them for processing & they sent you back a can of fresh film? I dunno. I think the green eye thingy means there's exposed film in there. Some lost Zapruder footage maybe?

---

btw, I used no fill flash, three point lighting, diffusers or anything else for those pics. I have before, and undoubtedly these would have been better had I again done so, but I'm teh lazy this evening.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Here's the el cheapo Pentax pic I promised. ...last week.

Grr. Not sure why the pic is not showing up. Le sigh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xchup7viio3n0ge/Photo%20Aug%2024%2C%208%2051%2033%20AM.jpg

Oh we'll here's a link to it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:44 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Here's the el cheapo Pentax pic I promised. ...last week.

Grr. Not sure why the pic is not showing up. Le sigh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xchup7viio3n0ge/Photo%20Aug%2024%2C%208%2051%2033%20AM.jpg

Oh we'll here's a link to it.

Ahhh it's a Pentax ZX-M with an SMC Pentax-A...................lens.

I can actually tell it's the 50mm f2 that I told you, it's a good lens (not awesome, but pretty good). I happen to have the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 which is quite a bit better and an awesome lens. Otherwise I'd look at this.

That's a good camera - it has a program mode (fully automatic) but you can also do everything manually. I particularly like the EV compensation dial. 1/2000 shutter speed is awesome for film. Half-shutter for light meter. Tv and Av modes. This camera has it all! Only downsides are focus needs to be manual (I think) and it has a plastic lens mount - construction is a bit cheap - but they never fail anyway, so what's the problem with plastic? At least it's very light and easy to carry around.
On Ebay it seems to sell anywhere from 1 dollar (???) to about 90 dollars (brand new ones in box!). 25 dollars seems to be the going price on average.

I'm almost tempted to make you an offer on it - but I don't think I'll be shooting a lot of film...

Your best bet is to put it on Craigslist for 30 dollars and wait for some arts student or some hipster to want it. Put "Film 35mm camera with manual and automatic modes" in the title and description. Renew the ad every once in a while and when it finally sells - voila, two nice Thai dinners are paid for.

It's a very nice camera... I really wish I had a reason to get it. But I already got two film cameras that I don't really have a use for yet.

Plink Floyd wrote:Pixing is fun. And easy to get totally gearslutty because lots of photo widgets are really inexpensive or easy to diy.

Tell me about it.

I just made an offer on two more lens. And I already have 12 (I'm gonna sell 5-6 because they're now reduntant, I bought better versions of them).

As I try more stuff I kind of find out which lenses I have more use for and which ones I hardly ever use, so I hope I'll have it down to 3-4 lenses eventually.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:00 pm

CR, fren, buddy, pal. PM me your mailing address and it's yours. I have no use for it, and if it's only worth $25, then that's not even worth the trouble selling it imo. You may have it, if you want it.

FOR FREE ZOMG. :poke:

EDIT: I think the focus is manual. I specifically remember assignments with FUBAR'd focusing requirements. (my memory sometimes lies, however)

EDIT AGAIN!: And if CR doesn't want a free film camera, anyone else looking to get into photography with an apparently decent entry-level cam can have it.

The most fun part of the photography classes I took wasn't the composition of subjects or taking pics. It was actually the manual developing process I liked best. I pretended to be a mad scientist with all those smelly chemicals, mostly.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Well, that's so nice of you, but as I said, I have two cameras already. I'm planning on using the K1000 a bit just for teh giggles. But it's probably not worth the expense of shipping it to me and then I'd have to find someone to give it to. Maybe put it in the freebie section of Craigslist, or if you drive past a Goodwill, leave it there... that's where one of my cameras (the A3000) might end up.

Ok so I just bought the two lenses for a bit more than I offered but not much.

If you guys thought GAS was bad, wait until you hear about LBA. Lens Buying Addiction. But hey, I do have a f1.4 lens now on the way!!! bwahahahahah
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Well, damn. I can't even GIVE it away! :samsh:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm just the first one you tried to give it to :)

If you really really can't give it away I'll give you my address. But it will probably sit unused at my work desk.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Heh. Thanks man. I will give it a couple of weeks, and if NO ONE ELSE WANTS IT *nudges entire treehouse population* then if you're still "not interested" I will just have to twist your arm harder. :jam:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:39 pm

So this is the camera I'm going to use for film one of these days:

And as you see, I have the 50mm f1.2 (M series, but it's really the same lens as the A series which you have). But I'll use the 50mm f1.7, or my recently acquired Ricoh 50mm f1.4.

SI - Why don't you get some film in that camera of yours and start getting some shots? It's fun :)

By the way. I have a new obsession:

Canon made a Rangefinder with a f0.95 lens in Leica mount :eek:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 pm

CR, I did have fun in my photography class. In fact, I still enjoy taking pics when the mood hits. Why don't I dust off the old Pentax and shoot things? I don't know. WHY DON"T I?!

EDIT: Also, that last pic of the camera there. That's a nicely done shot. A picture of a camera, all artsy fartsy and such. :like: Is this one of your pics?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:52 pm

The Canon with the HUGE glass? Sorry, no, that's not mine. I wish I had that Canon. It's the one thing I'm drooling over now. But alas, it would cost me well over 2 grand (which is NOT a big price for that camera and lens, absolutely!!).

I just did the first two boring Pentax shots because I was actually going to put that K1000 on Craigslist. For now I'll hold on to it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 pm

You should have claimed it, as I was about to sing your praises! :lol:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh, a nice fact is that I can use the same flashes that I use with my new Pentax DSLR (K20D), on that old K1000. Is that cool or what?

I don't think I'll try flash pic on film just yet though, unless I can meter the light properly with the K20D first.

Too bad the Sunny 16 rule doesn't appy to flash at all.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 am

christianrock wrote:Too bad the Sunny 16 rule doesn't appy to flash at all.
Yeah. What you want is the Flashy 34 Rule.

And I also want a fast prime lens for my CANON. :love:

-

I have a SUNPAK Auto 433 D Thyristor TTL speed flash with guide number of 120 ft. It uses four ordinary AA batts or can be powered into Super Fast Mode with an external batt pack or power supply (not included). Mine has reliably kicked *ss for me for well over twenty years. It has no negative qualities of which I can think. It can hot shoe or can be mounted on my flash handle when I want to look Super Serious, or I can hand hold it with a $20 dedicated cord, or trigger it remotely like a slave flash with a $10 photo slave gizmo.

Here is yours: Buy It Nao! Do EEEEET!!!

Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Won't taking a photo of a camera cause like a black hole or something?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:27 pm

It is a risk that we must take, Metro.

@Plinky - are those 80s flashes awesome or what? They built them to last back then.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:45 am

MetroSonus wrote:Won't taking a photo of a camera cause like a black hole or something?

That, or a rip or tear, or at the VERY least a run, in the spacetime stocking.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:19 pm

So I got me a couple more lenses in the mail today. YAY :) Finally I have a 50mm f1.4. It's a small but heavy lens - lots of glass in this one.

I think I need to stop buying lenses now and actually sell some that I already replaced with better ones...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Do you have a photo blog or anything? It seems like with all this professional equipment you are getting, you should display the fruits of your labor! :grin:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Yeah I should start one. I've been thinking about opening up a Flickr account and joining thousands of other wanna-be photographers :)

Hey at least I post something here every now and then. That's better than my brother in law. He's been into photography for years, has spent thousands of dollars in equipment, and is now finishing a year-long advanced photography class. But I've yet to see a picture he's taken...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.