The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Also: Nice pics, Metro :thu: you have the eye for it.

Thanks, I'm glad you think so. I just use my cellphone and I try to focus more on the photo, or "subject" and the "framing" of said "subject" in snooty parlance.

Meaning that in that way, nearly all of my photos are ones that I stopped and said "hey that'd make a neat photo". And in a way, it's like of like I had a camera attached to my eye and I can take a photo the way I saw something that stood out to me.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm

"hey that'd make a neat potato."

I must be tired...
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:56 pm

I think I'm gonna let the kids have that one. lol speak is as far as I think I was gonna go.

:lol:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm turning into photoslut :facepalm:

In a couple hours I'm meeting a guy to get this:

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/for/3937413670.html

I'll be replacing some M series lens (fully manual) for A series lens (only focusing is manual, but exposure can be done via the camera, or the camera can do it). And that 70-210 will replace not one but two lenses I currently own (I got both for free with the camera, so you know they're the cheap cheap kind).
And that flash should be a good backup flash.
No idea what I'll do with the actual camera, or with the case... it'll probably become a visual prop on my desk like my Pentax K1000. :cool:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:48 pm

christianrock wrote: exposure can be done via the camera, or the camera can do it

wut
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:55 am

I think he means that the camera can do it, but on the other hand it can be done via the camera.

christianrock wrote:No idea what I'll do with the actual camera, or with the case... it'll probably become a visual prop on my desk like my Pentax K1000. :cool:
I actually have a small collection of vintage, steampunky looking old cams. I forgot about them because they're in teh son's room and I don't wade into that jungle too often.

I'll try to remember to post pics.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:42 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:
christianrock wrote: exposure can be done via the camera, or the camera can do it

wut

Meaning, you can set the exposure manually through the camera body, or more specifically, the aperture.
Or, you can let the camera body select the aperture for you and control the lens.
My older manual lenses don't let you do either of those things, you have to manually turn the aperture ring. Which is kind of cool, too. I didn't get these new lenses for their auto settings, as I think a photographer should always have control of the depth of field (therefore setting aperture manually). But if set on Auto and done through the camera instead of on the lenses, means that if you're using a flash, the flash will know the aperture and it will change its settings based on that.

wut
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I think he means that the camera can do it, but on the other hand it can be done via the camera.

christianrock wrote:No idea what I'll do with the actual camera, or with the case... it'll probably become a visual prop on my desk like my Pentax K1000. :cool:
I actually have a small collection of vintage, steampunky looking old cams. I forgot about them because they're in teh son's room and I don't wade into that jungle too often.

I'll try to remember to post pics.

Does he experiment with photography?

And, do you have any Pentax stuffs? :cool:

So, I did get the stuff. The intention was to sell one of the lens, which would easily fetch 100 dollars on Ebay (the 135mm f2.8). Which would mean I basically got everything else for free. But OMG it's a beautiful lens. I'm going to have to do comparisons with my other 135mm, which is supposed to be a lesser version, but which I love, to see if it really is worth having the better quality one.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:19 pm

christianrock wrote:... I think a photographer should always have control of the depth of field (therefore setting aperture manually).

Agreed. As little photography experience as I have, this is really important. I took 2 semesters of photography at the Uni I graduated from, and we were told no matter what cameras we got for the class to make DAMN sure that everything on it had manual controls. I ended up getting a decent Pentax camera (who knows what model). It took decent enough pics, imo. Whoever mentioned that they're Pentax is just a conversation piece on their table reminded me that my own is the same. It sits on a bookshelf looking all professional and stuff. I barely remember how to use that thing.

If anyone is "just getting into" photography and wants a MINT Pentax model "icantrememberrightnow", it could be yours for the CHEAP! ;)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 pm

I saw one at a thrift store a while ago. Do they hold a value? They look the biz.. but maybe they're dime a dozen?
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 am

I'm liking my cheapo canon rebel ti2. I'm not overwhelmed by the colour I get shooting video so I've been looking into a black magic design cinema (2.5k) or their new 4k camera.

by colour I mean for shooting low light (I do mostly night photography) it usually takes a few tries and different focus points to bring out the colour/details I want. no big deal for static/non moving photos but with vid you most likely won't have time to constantly readjust the sensor

the 2.5k just came down in price to $2000 (new) and supports canon lenses. I've always wanted a high end (bright, beautiful, colourful, clear) vid camera with all the possibilities of fish eye, lens baby, wide angle, portrait, etc lenses

I'm pretty sure if you shoot 'raw' for video you can do cool effects in post like bringing out different details/focus while it plays, etc. I really want to mess around with green screens and blend 'live action' with cg

I'm not a major lens or camera slut tho. composition, colour, 'that would make a cool photo', narrative (or lack thereof) etc are more important to me than the tools
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:10 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Whoever mentioned that they're Pentax is just a conversation piece on their table reminded me that my own is the same.

That was me talking about my K1000 that I got as a freebie with some lens I purchased, and it sits on my desk in my studio at home. I also have a fully functional A3000 as my work conversation piece...
My Pentax K20D digital, on the other hand, is the one I use whenever I can snap pics.
I do have an itch for filling up a couple rolls of film, though. Should I do it?

Oh and what lens do you have on your Pentax? I"m assuming it's the Pentax K1000 because that's what photography students used to use - readily available and all manual to the point that it only has a tiny battery cell for the light meter, but the camera itself doesn't need a battery to work. It's always "on", you just grab it and click the shutter and it goes.

MetroSonus wrote:I saw one at a thrift store a while ago. Do they hold a value? They look the biz.. but maybe they're dime a dozen?
[/quote]

Apparently some 5-7 years ago the Pentax K1000s were a hot item and they'd cost about 250 dollars in good shape. Now you're lucky if you get 30 dollars for it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:13 pm

gregwar wrote:I'm liking my cheapo canon rebel ti2. I'm not overwhelmed by the colour I get shooting video so I've been looking into a black magic design cinema (2.5k) or their new 4k camera.

by colour I mean for shooting low light (I do mostly night photography) it usually takes a few tries and different focus points to bring out the colour/details I want. no big deal for static/non moving photos but with vid you most likely won't have time to constantly readjust the sensor

the 2.5k just came down in price to $2000 (new) and supports canon lenses. I've always wanted a high end (bright, beautiful, colourful, clear) vid camera with all the possibilities of fish eye, lens baby, wide angle, portrait, etc lenses

I'm pretty sure if you shoot 'raw' for video you can do cool effects in post like bringing out different details/focus while it plays, etc. I really want to mess around with green screens and blend 'live action' with cg

I'm not a major lens or camera slut tho. composition, colour, 'that would make a cool photo', narrative (or lack thereof) etc are more important to me than the tools

Canon's are supposedly the best for videos for the money you pay, so I'd at least check out the T5i before dropping two grand on something else. The T5i is supposed to be all the 7D is for video, and more. Of course there's also the 7D itself, but without a detachable screen it's probably not as useful to you.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:40 am

I went and visited my parents last weekend and broke out the T4i, which I haven't used much since we moved back in May. Got some great pics of me and my 6 brothers from a tripod using the 10 sec delay. Mom liked them so much she's gonna have Walgreen's put one on canvas. I need to get it out more often.
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:06 pm

christianrock wrote:Should I do it?

Well, yes. :grin:

christianrock wrote:Oh and what lens do you have on your Pentax? I"m assuming it's the Pentax K1000 because that's what photography students used to use - readily available and all manual to the point that it only has a tiny battery cell for the light meter, but the camera itself doesn't need a battery to work. It's always "on", you just grab it and click the shutter and it goes.

You know, I don't know :facepalm: . I will take a look tonight and even snap a pic of the camera for you and let you know - if I can remember to do it, that is. I don't know what use that camera will ever have anymore, so I should probably try to get rid of it. I'm no photographer, so my iPhone and iPad (plus the hubs has a nice digital camera I gave for Christmas one year) are all I ever use pretty much. I just do snapshots and candids, so I don't really have a use for a real camera.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah put the camera on Craigslist for 30 bucks OBO and let some arts student have it and make use of it just like you did.
I'm assuming arts students still use film... that was true like 5+ years ago, now I don't even know anymore...

I am however curious about your camera. There's the tiniest of chances that you would have a lens that I would want - like f1.4 or even f1.2 - yeah right, if you had an f1.2 you could sell it easily for 500 dollars.
You probably have the ubiquitous 50mm f2.
Just remember that the one that is worth nothing is f1:2, not f1.2. The f1.2 actually says f1:1.2. So if you see f1:2 don't get excited :) You want the period after the number one. Not the colon.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Well, all I can remember is that it's a lens that the instructor for the class recommended. I [read: mom] bought it almost 15 years ago, so I'm not sure if the time frame helps. But I'll try my best to remember to take pics and send them to ya so you can see for yourself. If it's not worth anything, I'll do like you said and let some photography student basically have it. Otherwise, if it's a lens you'd be interested in, I'll let ya have it for dirt cheap if you're interested. (and I mean DIRT cheap)

Edited for purchaser clarification.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Do you remember how much you paid for it back then?
The instructor wouldn't have asked you to buy something too rare or expensive, I'm sure.
The 50mm f2 are excellent lenses. The reason why they're not worth hardly anything is because there's millions and millions of them out there. It's not because they're not good.
I have two that came as freebies basically, when I bought my DSLR and also when I got the K1000 because I was looking for other lenses in the deal... one's got fungus so it's basically worth nothing. The other one is absolutely perfect and might be worth 20 bucks... while at the same time not being that far off a Leica or Zeiss lens quality. The market value is weird like that... any of those old 50mm Pentax lens can take excellent, sharp pics, but some are worth money and some aren't, and it's all down to availability and/or desireability... f2 just doesn't sound sexy. But most people that have f1.4, f1.7 or f1.8 lens usually stop down to at least f2 if they want sharper pictures...
Last edited by christianrock on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:46 pm

christianrock wrote:Do you remember how much you paid for it back then?
The instructor wouldn't have asked you to buy something too rare or expensive, I'm sure.

I wouldn't know. My mom bought it. :lol:

So honestly, there's no telling.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I totally forgot about the Pentax stuff this weekend. My BIRFDAY was this weekend, so I stayed pretty busy. If I can remember, I will try again tonight!
Last edited by selfinflikted on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.