Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Roland is dead

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 pm

There. I said it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: Roland is dead

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Oh no! With Bernard banned from the forum, who will come in here to defend Roland??

(they're not dead but they're just a step above Casio as far as I'm concerned now. They're like the fancy version of Casio or something, now...)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

I just don't get who they're aiming at. It seems like they've thrown in the towel for romplers, Motif is the game to beat there. Korg seems off and running with their funky devices and a serious contender for GAS Board of the Year with the Kronos. Kurzweil is still hanging in there, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that they're working on their Next Big Thing right now.

But Roland? I don't get it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm

that's what I was saying about the newer junos.. a funky color scheme that's supposed to appeal to people that are going to gig at weddings, cover bands etc?

I dont find it. Of course then we could talk about the juipter.. :lol: all i can seem to find out about the "supernatural" is that it's the replacement for the SRX cards. As I said i suspect it's a digital trick with the loop points or something they're over hyping.

But man i remember when i bought my Xp30, the orchestra sounded so good on it and it was so expanded it was an obvious choice over the N1, since I was doing sound work at the time. they also had the MC devices on the market too and they were bomb while people were still scratching their heads over the electribes. Guess who one that one..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 pm

I think the funky color scheme is supposed to be reminiscent of the original Junos.

I played a GAiA at NAMM... It could be neat, but I think they blew it with the keys. That it's mostly white plastic I think gives it a stigma of "toy" that might be undeserved, but there nonetheless.

The V-Synth is... I don't know. It's a VA? Mostly? Kind of, with a sampler. And these COSM things... See, here I think is the problem. Roland makes up proprietary names for their technologies, which isolates them from comparison with their competition. Does Yamaha or Korg have COSM? No. But they do have filters, amp sims, modulators, etc, all of which what COSM really is. So Roland stands up and says, "I have SuperNatural techonologies, don't you want this?" and everyone else is all, "uhhhh, what is it? What is my frame of reference for your 'supernatural' thingamabob?"

I suppose it's one thing to try and be innovative, but it doesn't do any good if you can't CLEARLY show how that innovation is applicable to me.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think the funky color scheme is supposed to be reminiscent of the original Junos.

yea but if you're a middle aged guy playing wedding or church, wouldn't black work a bit better? I mean, just sayin..

ElectricPuppy wrote:I played a GAiA at NAMM... It could be neat, but I think they blew it with the keys. That it's mostly white plastic I think gives it a stigma of "toy" that might be undeserved, but there nonetheless.

I can agree with that.

ElectricPuppy wrote:
The V-Synth is... I don't know. It's a VA? Mostly? Kind of, with a sampler. And these COSM things... See, here I think is the problem. Roland makes up proprietary names for their technologies, which isolates them from comparison with their competition. Does Yamaha or Korg have COSM? No. But they do have filters, amp sims, modulators, etc, all of which what COSM really is. So Roland stands up and says, "I have SuperNatural techonologies, don't you want this?" and everyone else is all, "uhhhh, what is it? What is my frame of reference for your 'supernatural' thingamabob?"

all of which I said one way or tother and agree with.

ElectricPuppy wrote:I suppose it's one thing to try and be innovative, but it doesn't do any good if you can't CLEARLY show how that innovation is applicable to me.

That's what I liked about maudio having the lead engineer right there at namm. he told you how it worked, what they sampled from, what they modeled and said, i approve of this product.

I think everything you stated above, and the price is what's holding back the juipter. public opinion wise anyway.

and you can say this here but not at KSS or face the wrath of bernard? :mad:

I dont blame you :wave:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 am

Actually, i say this here not because I worry about what bernard thinks, but because I mostly just wanted to say my peace and not have to argue my points. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:44 am

I haven't followed the thread, but I feel a bit sad that one of the few members of this forum is gone due to some silly argument over a brand.....

Bernard always seemed like a fun chap to me......
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:10 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I haven't followed the thread, but I feel a bit sad that one of the few members of this forum is gone due to some silly argument over a brand.....

Bernard always seemed like a fun chap to me......
He seems to have taken all those naughty ladies with him. :wink:

Not that I disagree with that development. There are, after all, a few other places on the webz where one can see them.

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 am

I liked Bernard too.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Tomkeen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 am

I liked him until he went psycho.

And fuck Roland.
Tomkeen

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:32 am

One thing is becoming clear: his name will forever be linked with Roland. :facepalm:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Just because

1. I value my friends

and

2. I'm not above criticism

how does everyone feel about me banning bernard?

The long of the short was that various peoples including myself, said what EP said here about the Juipter 8. It turned into this "you're trolling and haven't even heard it yet" thing and I let it drop.

Then CR and burster were having a discussion in the GAIA thread, I made a point and some counter points and several people joined in and it seemed like a healthy on topic synth discussion until bernard starting getting into this "now you're trolling and being a brand basher" thing, in spite of the fact that several others also told him in the thread he was going to far with his "joke".

Had this been some guy from the internets, I would have just stated my case and let it drop. But this was bernard, someone we all liked and talked to over the years. So I tried explaining myself, essentially saying that I was being positive about it and ontopic and not to mention I supported the pre release of it on my website here. He decided to tune me out and carry on with the "you're trolling and hating" thing and calling for CR and other "trolls" to be banned here, on GS and KSS.

And hey, I tried. :idk: He wouldn't give it up, it was stressing me out, and here is where I have control over. et voila.

If and when his Roland overlords (in league with the saucer people and the reverse vampires) agree to relinquish his mind control or if something personal happened to him and he finally gets over it, he's welcome back. However, he stopped posting here on his own about six months ago until all this happened. So in all honestly, he could have some personal issue or something, but I don't necessarily want it tearing me a new one all over the internet.
MetroSonus

Postby Tomkeen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:25 pm

You did good, Metro. He just lost it and only posted about how and where he wanted CR banned.
Tomkeen

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 pm

There's even more stuff that happened besides what you guys have seen. His bullying me by saying he had one of the KSS mods on his side and that I was totally going to get permabanned from KSS, for example.
I already talked to Paolo and he knew nothing of it. EP obviously didn't either. So it was just another bluff from him, like at GS where he talked like Jules was his buddy.

But like I told Metro yesterday, his being banned here is just a statement more than it is something that would have any consequences - because I don't think he would come back in here anyway.

Anyway, Roland might not be dead but it sure smells funny.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby topcat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm

I don't know if I would call it dead...yet, but clearly on life-support.
For me, their last great synths were the D50 and JD800.
I know some would disagree and say it was the V-synth. Had one for awhile and I couldn't quite connect with it, to my ears it had a glassy sound, and not in a good way like the D50.

I think CR made the point in the KSS thread about Eric Persing, that he was the last "synth guy" @ Roland, and I have to agree 100%.
I remember reading an interview with Eric where he spoke of having to fight tooth and nail with the Corporate execs and bean counters in accounting over the development of the JD800, which almost didn't come to be a reality.
Clearly, at least to me, this is the mentality at Roland these days.
I would suspect anyone who came up with the idea to use the name Jupiter was basing the decision on it's legacy, not because they lived during it's release.
It appears they are using the name to represent their flagship synth, and if it does well with the pro crowd, we will most likely see a 61 version in the near future.

I did enjoy some of the massive pad sounds HJ was playing, but found the supposedly realistic acoustic sounds to be uninspiring, and yet that seems to be their focus when talking about the Jupiter 80, rather than the synth engine.
Maybe down the road, if they get some better demos out there, some will change their mind, especially if JR demos it. :lol:

At $3500 you are getting very close to Solaris affordability, and from what I've heard from some of John's demos, it will blow the Jupiter 80 out of the water.
topcat

Postby Tomkeen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I owned a V-synth and thought it was pretty cool. I still think it's pretty cool. It's just that, as is with any other post JD800/990 Roland, IT DOESN'T CUT THROUGH A MIX. Especially when there are distorted guitars involved. That is to me the saddest part about Roland. They might sound good on their own here and there, but put them in a band context and they're lost. This is where Korg, Nord, Kurzweil and to some extent Yamaha are way, way, way further than Roland.

Also, I don't get all the people that like their piano sample (the one in the RD700 models). The frankenstein of pianosamples, and it sounds horrible. So what if the RD700GX has awesome action and "ivory feel" and whatnot. No one can hear you stupid piano, except when your playing solo and even then it sucks :mad:

[/mini-rant].

Don't let me get into normal rant-mode please :lol:
Tomkeen

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 pm

The D-50 couldn't cut through a mix, either. At least my D-550 didn't, which is the reason I erased the stuff I had recorded with it in my album, and replaced it with the Fusion (which just sat there wonderfully in the track).

It still sounds wonderful by itself and in synth-ladden tracks.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:52 pm

This just in: Roland is still dead. All hail Krog.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:11 pm

this thread is back from the dead..

die zombie

MetroSonus

Next

Return to The Hang Out.