Beer.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Beer.

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Craft beer festivals used to be pretty fun say 15 years ago when craft beer wasn't Trendy

I wasn't really in that crowd, but i assume it was like how the con scene exploded from basically a hobby convention into the beast it is now.

I dated a girl that worked at the zoo and I worked at mosi for a time and they started doing their own drinking fundraisers and I had a gut feeling it wasn't going to be a good thing. And 20 years later, that's my biggest complaint about tampa :( the constant pushing of alcohol.

How many night parades do we have now? I can't even count.. we're trying to push into st patricks day too now. I think if tampa had it's way, once a month we'd have a "get drunk in a costume" event. And you know who is behind all that.. the city council and other "elites" that all have money in those beer tents...
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:35 pm

So y'all were into craft beers before they were cool?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:22 pm

me? no. I was never that cool. I like beer.

Forgive me for saying soundwave, but all this Wonka (TM) chocolate stout made with orphan tears craft beer is what starbucks is to coffee.

Just give me a nice regular Guinness, bass, new castle and even coors and I'm good. Simple pleasures is all you need some times.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:43 pm

That's kind of my attitude. The main reason I liked craft beer and homebrewing was, except for some of the Czech pils stuff, I really didn't care for the pilsner style. First beer that actually clicked with me was a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

To me, it's a preference thing, that's it, I like "heavier" beers. If the majors actually brewed a good IPA / pale ale or stout, that would also be fine. (Actually both big companies do a pretty good Belgium wit -- Coors does Blue Moon and Budweiser does Shock Top). Newcastle was pretty much the staple beer in our band back when I was in it, that's also good.

So yeah, I liked it before it was "uber cool", though there were some small stories here and there about it (they called it "microbrew" then if you recall), and I was also fine with flavorful imports. Metro's analogy of the con scene explosion to the beer scene explosion is spot on, come to think of it. Actually there's some comparison to electronic music, too, which also has taken over the pop charts but become annoying in the process.

The plus side is that my Mom now finally gets my 1990s beer preference now that craft beer stories are all over the papers and whatnot. :lol:

And, it is also nice to simply drive over to our local brewery and pick up a 6 pack of day-old canned IPA. So dumb festival hipsterism aside, I'm not going to complain about the explosion of popularity *too* much.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.