Beer.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Beer.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:This thread is not about beer !!!
This forum bloody well needs a beer thread!

ElPuppo wrote:C'mon you guys, give me a good "starter" beer. Something that actually tastes good.
The best starter beer is any cold beer that's at hand when you've just dug ditches in Death Valley all day and there's absolutely nothing else around to drink. Repeat daily for two weeks & you'll aquire the taste.

Really, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who liked the taste of the first one they tried. During college for a while, I had an summer afternoon warehouse job on the top floor of an old un-conditioned building. Hottern Hell! I rode with another student, and quitting time saw us speeding to the beer depot by 5:02 every day. I started by gagging one of his down, then two... After a few weeks he had the audacity to suggest that perhaps I should consider buying my own sixpack so he could drink at least half of his. :grin:

I've never tasted any wine I liked. :cry:
Plink Floyd

Re: Beer.

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 am

ElectricPuppyMan wrote:C'mon you guys, give me a good "starter" beer. Something that actually tastes good.

If that is how you feel about it, then this thread should probably start with a list of liquids which are not actually beer, but are constantly mistaken for beer.

I will let others finish it for I have to drink some beer now, but here is a start:

ANYTHING FOUND HERE: http://www.anheuser-busch.com/BeerVerified.html

ANYTHING FOUND HERE: http://www.millercoors.com/our-beers/great-beer.aspx

:wave:
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm

wait.. how can you not drink beer!? that's unpossible.

I don't drink wine myself either.. to me, it tastes like a poorly mixed drink where the base is just floating on top of the mixer. The alcohol or the vapors or something just go right up my sinuses and all I taste is the alcohol. I dont see how people can like that.. :lol:

I wouldn't start with a lager. Smithwicks is a good lager reminiscent of the American ones, but I think it's better overall. However, the taste of a larger isn't really the best of beer. In fact, I think popularity remains mostly for people that like to get drunk by slamming them down since they contain so much water. That being said, there is a certain aspect to enjoyment of a frosty one on a hot day, hence the term lawn mower beer.

I think overall a good place to start may be a flavored wheat beer. Lagers are based on barely and hops and have a certain bitterness and coarseness to them that most people find objectionable when they are introduced to beer. Wheat beers on the other hand have a much more fuller flavor without being so heavy or bitter as a stout or porter.

If you were just going to walk into your grocery store and pick up a beer, I"d say to get Blue Moon and pick up an orange from the produce department. Cut the orange in half, pour your self a glass and squeeze in to taste.

However if you were going to a specialty store, they may have beers flavored with anything from raspberry to chocolate.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:41 pm

I like stouts and porters.

Triple chocolate stout is brill if you can find it.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks Metro, I'll look out for a wheat beer next time I'm at the store. Yes, it's the alcohol that gets me, regardless of beer, wine, whatever. All I can seem to taste is the alcohol, and my throat just closes-up. Bleh.

On the other hand, when I'm using shellac, it smells kinda nice. It's based on alcohol. Go figure. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm

What beers have you tried so far?

That is my issue with wine, even when it's a dark red and something heavy like a merlot. Brandy and schnapps is fine, wine is nasty. It's just not something I can seem to put my finger on.

The only beers I can think of that have a an aclholicness to then would be the lagers, the ice beers, crap lager beers (old Milwaukee, High Life, Miller etc), some of the reds and all the malt liquor (which is just beer with a high alcohol content).

Most people that enjoy beer for beer, that is for taste and not drunkenness, lean heavily towards the darker beers. Favorites of mine are New Castle, Guinness, Francis Konner (wheat) and Kostritzer.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:57 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Favorites of mine are New Castle, Guinness, Francis Konner (wheat) and Kostritzer.
New Castle Brown Ale is one of my faves. It's sweet, rich and creamy. Guinness Stout, to me, is rich and creamy but unacceptably bitter. I've not tried any wheat beer, but I will sometime.

There arer lots of microbrews around now, at least that's what I hear from those who go pubbing frequently. It would make sense that those would be tastier than mass produced stuff (lawn mower beer lol). Beer doesn't improve with age. I think draft beer always tastes best.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

if they don't cut the stuff, yes! draft is best. there is nothing like a draft (or draught) guinness! absolutely nothing. but most places cut the beer so I always order in bottles.

yes beer does go bad if stored too long.

I'm not a fan of micros. Most of them are either copies of major beers and some are good i suppose. but i think most of them rely on hype as "craft" and "micro" brews to mean elite and that ticks me off for some reason. They also tend to rely on gimmicky blends like creamy oatmeal and maple syrup porter or something..

The king of hype are the IPAs (India Pale Ale). I personally don't care for them, but they seem to have this new Englandy slightly upper middle class vibe to the people that drink themm :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

too bad they don't make this any more :lol:

MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Yeah why did they stop making Zima?

And does anybody remember those wine coolers from the early 90s?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 pm

I thought Zima was teh official ghey beveridge. Wine coolers were girly drinks, no?

In high school we drank Boone's Farm High Fructose wine. Or candied vodka.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm

oh like that's any different :lol:

I liked zima.. yea I just read on wikki it suffered an image problem as comedians made of it all the time. it tasted like a hard 7up sort of. you can still get malt liquor in various forms, but none taste like zima :cry:

however i'm sure pineapple and other assorted flavors of zima had some gay overtones, but I think they were probably meant for a latin american segment of the market.

CR, yes I recall them :facepalm: it was funny watching friends all be like "man i darank 6 wine coolers last night.. whoo hoo!" and i was all "yea and I did a 5th of vodka :freak:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm

At a friend's party right out of high school, we got smashed on wine coolers. I got sick. I'll never touch another wine cooler again, ever. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 am

uh, yeah, ok.

so like your beer thread took a major turn down the winecooler and zima alley.

So I guess Alkaliner will be showing up any time now.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:38 am

Teh alkaseltzer loves himself some beer, as far as I know...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 am

and once again another thread takes a ghey turn. seriously i'm going to start playing with the word censor again :mad: :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:16 am

re: beer. Beer are not wine cooler. Therefore, this thread is not teh ghey yet.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:03 am

"alcopop" is big here.......is it elsewhere?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:41 am

Never heard of it. :idk: What is it?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 am

I dunno what alcopop is in Oz, but here I believe it's an unofficial label for beer or wine with added sweet or fruity flavorings, marketed towards younger people by the evil minions of Bacchus, with the sole intent of ensnaring our nations innocent youth in the deadly clutches of the detestable John Barleycorn! Fie, I say! If kids today wanna get drunk, let em choke down Blatz, or Old Grandad, like we did!
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to The Hang Out.