The Banned Man

Re: ElectricPuppy

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am

Well that sucks! Sorry she didn't get it :(
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:31 pm

ouuuch. :sad: but all that does is clear the path towards something bigger and better!

Yeah if I get my bosses job it's a step up in pay grade.. and yes more monies :) I'm the best qualified, so things look pretty good. However it's the gubbamint, so they have to interview and so on.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:19 pm

Oh man, EP. You should have done this with those two you had

ClavAnother

Postby topcat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:48 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:She didn't get it. We are bummed. :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear about this EP. I know I'm late but I'm keeping your wife in my prayers.
Would you be ok to share her first name, if not that's ok I understand.

I've had bad luck with jobs.
I had my dream job working at Western Electric manufacturing, great benefits, good environment and the plant closed down after I had 9 years in the job...had to basically start all over again.
After a few hit and miss jobs(one was a bus driver for a day care center, but I also helped with the kids when I wasn't driving). 6 months and I was having dizzy spells and couldn't catch my breath. Went to see my DR and he asked me what I did for a living, when I told him he said "I think you'd best look for another job!" lol

Next found another job I loved, driving delivery/pick up for a data processing firm. We handled accounts for Ford/GM and Chrysler but State of Michigan. Loved it but after 15 years he went bankrupt and closed the place... again, no fault of my own, I had to start all over again.

Finally, my wife worked 30 years in accounting for a manufacturing plant, we assembled air cargo systems for Fed Ex, UPS, Air Italia, Air Bus, etc.
I had been out of work for over a year, couldn't find anything and she got me an interview to work in the factory.
I got hired and loved it, great money, good benefits, but after 3 years the plant closed down and moved to North Carolina, my wife lost her job too.

My point is, although she didn't get this job, there IS something out there for her, that is waiting, and I'm always amazed about the importance of "timing" in our lives. There were jobs I didn't get that I badly wanted, but in hindsight I could see they weren't a good fit for me and the job I did eventually get was perfect.

So hang in there, it's not her or her experience, it's because it's not time, and there is something "right" waiting for her, it's just events haven't happened yet to allow it to happen. We can't force things in life, it's truly like putting a round peg in a square hole, we have to be patient and wait..

Again, you both are in my thoughts and prayers.
topcat

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:02 am

topcat wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:She didn't get it. We are bummed. :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear about this EP. I know I'm late but I'm keeping your wife in my prayers.
Would you be ok to share her first name, if not that's ok I understand.

I've had bad luck with jobs.
I had my dream job working at Western Electric manufacturing, great benefits, good environment and the plant closed down after I had 9 years in the job...had to basically start all over again.
After a few hit and miss jobs(one was a bus driver for a day care center, but I also helped with the kids when I wasn't driving). 6 months and I was having dizzy spells and couldn't catch my breath. Went to see my DR and he asked me what I did for a living, when I told him he said "I think you'd best look for another job!" lol

Next found another job I loved, driving delivery/pick up for a data processing firm. We handled accounts for Ford/GM and Chrysler but State of Michigan. Loved it but after 15 years he went bankrupt and closed the place... again, no fault of my own, I had to start all over again.

Finally, my wife worked 30 years in accounting for a manufacturing plant, we assembled air cargo systems for Fed Ex, UPS, Air Italia, Air Bus, etc.
I had been out of work for over a year, couldn't find anything and she got me an interview to work in the factory.
I got hired and loved it, great money, good benefits, but after 3 years the plant closed down and moved to North Carolina, my wife lost her job too.

My point is, although she didn't get this job, there IS something out there for her, that is waiting, and I'm always amazed about the importance of "timing" in our lives. There were jobs I didn't get that I badly wanted, but in hindsight I could see they weren't a good fit for me and the job I did eventually get was perfect.

So hang in there, it's not her or her experience, it's because it's not time, and there is something "right" waiting for her, it's just events haven't happened yet to allow it to happen. We can't force things in life, it's truly like putting a round peg in a square hole, we have to be patient and wait..

Again, you both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Work has become an incredibly tough gig over the last couple of decades, I've only had one job in that time that lasted longer than 3 years and only ever buggered up one of those which in truth I should have jumped ship on before it did my head in that bad.

I've had to go back to college and retrain to do a slghtly improved version of the same job for not much more pay, live in a big city but commute to work as i couldn't find the job I wanted and am skilled for here, something is very wrong.

Hope everyone sorts something out with their work situations... it's become way more complicated and difficult than it ever needed to be. :cry:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Inspiring nonetheless..

Next week I heard they're doing calls for interviews next week for my former boss' job. I"m nervous as I'm more or less a single parent and I love what I do and I fear change lol. I have a good shot at it, but if not, I will survive. You made it this far TC, I got miles to go myself.. thanx for sharing!
MetroSonus

Postby topcat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:34 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Inspiring nonetheless..

Next week I heard they're doing calls for interviews next week for my former boss' job. I"m nervous as I'm more or less a single parent and I love what I do and I fear change lol. I have a good shot at it, but if not, I will survive. You made it this far TC, I got miles to go myself.. thanx for sharing!

Is this position that will be open something you'd like to do? are you fairly happy or satisfied with the work you're doing now?
are you applying a)for monetary reasons? b) to further your career? c) because it is something you'd love to do? d) you are applying because you think that's what you should do? e) will this affect your home life and time with you child?

I think reality hits most of us after awhile in the workplace that we will never get that "dream" job and go to work every day clicking our heels and do a happy dance the minute we arrive at work.
But what I learned for myself anyway, a way to survive was if work itself didn't make me happy, to be happy regardless, do little things that would make me happy or find a way to make others happy at work. And the result usually was I would be happy.

A tip of the old TC hat to any and ALL single parents. It's tough raising a child with both parents participating together. To do it alone is quite a challenge, and with the many challenges today's society and culture presents it's even more so.
You have my utmost respect for doing it by yourself, and I bet you do a helluva job.
It's hard because it seems like you don't have a life anymore, who am I? but believe me, time goes fast and then they're grown up.
My son lives out in San Diego(still single) and just celebrated his 43rd birthday. As I talked with him I thought to myself, how did I get so old? and when did he become a middle aged man?

So just think in X amount of years all that nurturing, disciplining, teaching and love will stand before you as an adult and you will be proud not only of the person they've become but for all the work you put in to get them there.

Chris you DA MAN!!!!
topcat

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Metro is DA MAN indeed.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:36 pm

'Tis true, Metro is good people. :thu:

EP is like _this close_ to letting him get past the velvet rope.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm

ohh you guyz. tee hee ..

Actually, they are interviewing next next week :eek: not calling. I've got mine Tuesday @ 3pm.

TC.. whoo that's a lot.

uhh.. I like my job, I'm passionate about it. It's a 21st century AV job. I manage about 300 classrooms college wide and keep them all up and running. I worked with my boss for the last 5 years up until he retired and I've been doing his job the last couple years with his guidance, to sort of transition into it and keep things running when he hasn't been here. I'd like to keep doing it and I think I've got the best shot at it.. I've been doing quite well since he retired.

I wouldn't say it makes me "happy", it's hard work. I get a deep sense of satisfaction from it though, but it's not a party job. I've had those and they don't pay well. You know an easy job, little oversight, you show up and pal around all day. I have more long term satisfaction with my job than I do short term happiness. I know I'm valued, I keep things running for teachers to teach students. I have a critical role to play that I take a lot of pride in. I'm not unhappy showing up to work either.

I think for a realistic person, having the "perfect' job isn't .. real? or a real thing? i think you trade off on short term or long term happiness somewhere. For me, getting my bosses job would mean I would be getting paid for the work I'm already doing and I'd have the stability in my life with the pay, that I need and I'd also be satisfied knowing that the college would be well taken care of until I retire myself, probably.

But yeah.. Just working to pay bills, when you've got responsibility, isn't the road to happiness.. short or long term. I definitely think that's a different beast altogether.

I've had a lot of stress up until this point. With everything going on, the last two years, i've had a lot of anxiety because you just kinda figure you're waiting on the other shoe to drop from somewhere. Now that I know that things are moving along, I've tried to kick it into gear and realize what a great job I do and person I am and regardless, I'll be fine or I'll make it fine.

It's hard because it seems like you don't have a life anymore, who am I? but believe me, time goes fast and then they're grown up.
My son lives out in San Diego(still single) and just celebrated his 43rd birthday. As I talked with him I thought to myself, how did I get so old? and when did he become a middle aged man?

yeah.. I do feel a tiny bit guilty I don't have a life, but I don't care. :) For most of our marriage my wife ran everything I never really got to be a parent or an equal partner. I am now and I do not feel one bit bad about it at all. I'm being the best bad and parent I can be and that brings everything into balance.

I just turned 43 last year.. middle aged. ha! I'm just getting started!

uh but yeah, you do have to be happy regardless of your job. I haven't been, lately, because this represents a lot of stability for me if I get it. I descended into anxiety, which I wasn't too proud of, however, my heart was in the right place, I want the best for my son. Just have to dial it back down a bit lol. But hey.. I am a new, single parent so.. :snax:

:lol:

it's all good mang. thanks guys!

you got a lot on your plate too TC.. do sell yourself short either. The high road is also the hard road.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:12 am

good luck with teh interview metrar !

in other news here’s a pretty long article about employer job market power and the reductions in opportunities for workers.

they estimate labour earns between 51-65% of economic output for a variety of reasons and its becoming more and more clear it’s harmful to the economy.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/4 ... inequality
gregwar

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.