BonsoWonderDog

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Today I learned that the Carolinas have skiing...? I didn't think the hills got all that tall out thar.

/looks upon his range of local mountains in self-satisfaction
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:40 pm

West side ma fugger. haven't you heard of the Appalachians? That's where I want my unibomber shack someday.. NC to the Cray - zay.

We drove to DC up 95 and I was surprised that 95% of the east coast is swamp land. That's true here in Florida too. There's no "beach" except for the few places they trucked in sand and put up a few hotels. The ease cost of Fl is even worse.. it's very sparsely inhabited. That I knew already, but it was a real eye opener..

I need to be near water though.. I'll look for somewhere with or near a river, creek, pond etc.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:21 pm

There's some pretty cool shacks that you can basically put wherever you want :)

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Tho I like this one better...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 pm

So...a pretty shed?
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:18 am

MetroSonus wrote:The ease cost of Fl is even worse.. it's very sparsely inhabited. That I knew already, but it was a real eye opener..

You're right about the Florida interior but if you drove up A1A / US 1 instead of I-95 I bet you'd have a different perspective about the East Coast. :lol: Florida population tends to clutter as close to the shore and as far away from the swamps as possible.

So far, the most sparsely populated areas we have been in have been in the West. The route from Portland to Spokane (Oregon High Desert), and from Denver to Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming), all was pretty much going through dry land with hardly anything on it, except maybe a bit of ranching. As bad as swamps are, having no water is worse. (Of course, the Oregon high desert sort of isolation isn't anything compared to, say, the entire Northwest Territories of Canada. :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:06 am

i like these muji huts

https://www.muji.com/jp/mujihut/en.html

the website is very relaxing just looping in the background lol

i've often been tempted to buy land north of here and build myself a small cottage for recreational use. obvs it would be some kind of studio where i could just f*** off and do my thing with no wifi, phones, etc. i would never go full-walden but i like the idea of getting away for days/weeks/months at a time
gregwar

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:45 am

christianrock wrote:
BonsoWonderDog wrote:The Charlotte/Mooresville opp in NC is still an option. The money is much better and they're chasing me to go there asap, but I am really adverse to working for that CEO again, albeit it would be much more remote from him (he's based in Australia), and I'm a bit scared of moving the whole family to the other side of the world. We'll see how things pan out over the next month or two.

Hope you're all well !!

I'm doing fantastic :wave: :wave:

So they just fired you but they're desperately trying to hire you for the US operations? That's some dysfunctional company :lol:

I would have no qualms about living in Charlotte. None. :smoke: They got Elevation Church there... plus, Moog is just a short drive away to the mountains... where the skiing happens :cool:

Thanks CR. Re the job yep that's exactly what happened. They're extremely money hungry (public company, shareholders etc) so they chop people when it's not busy in one place (Australia at the moment) and hire people where it's busy (North America). They seem to have no qualms with what that does to people's self esteem, job prospects or family.

Re NC - I hear you. Good to know there's skiing nearby! If it wasn't for the same CEO I'd probably jump at the chance, but I'm nervous I'd get over there and it'd all happen again if things go quiet.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:11 pm

In Charlotte, you don't have giant lizzards roaming your walls like in New South Wales.

On the other hand, everything needs a disclaimer apparently, or you'll get sued...

You could always research job opportunities for your area here in the US. Cuz once you're here, you know...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:35 pm

I live in Charlotte Bonso. So if you do decide to entertain that offer, I'd be happy to show you around or answer any questions about the area. I've been here 15 years and love it. I can be in the mountains in 2 hours, or the beach in three, or a lake in 20 minutes. I understand your hesitance however. Fool me once ... shame on you. Fool me twice ... shame on me.
midinut

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Midinut thank you very much! They are still asking me so it's not out of the question yet. If I get serious about it I will definitely pick your brains for info on where to live, schools, that sort of thing.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:22 pm

I had a head hunter call me up last week, offering me a position in Charlotte. I dunno, man, I've never lived anywhere except California. Is Charlotte really all that nifty?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby midinut » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:20 am

Maybe this will help ...

phpBB [video]
midinut

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:04 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I had a head hunter call me up last week, offering me a position in Charlotte. I dunno, man, I've never lived anywhere except California. Is Charlotte really all that nifty?

Well, for one, it has something you probably don't know much about anymore... you know... water!

I think it's a very neat city. I wouldn't mind living there.

Another city I like a lot is Chattanooga, Tennessee. Best outdoors city in America, they say. Nevermind a couple hours to the mountains - from Chattanooga to the mountains it's like 20 minutes :lol: it's pretty much surrounded by mountains. No beach nearby, but I'm used to that in Atlanta.

Atlanta itself isn't too bad either. All of these southern cities have quite a bit in common...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:25 pm

"Enjoy the lawn"......hehe
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Veracohr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:15 am

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:The route from Portland to Spokane (Oregon High Desert)

Please allow me to correct your misinformation. :)

I don't know what route you took, but the most direct route from Portland to Spokane goes down I-84 for half the way. That drive is very green and beautiful. The High Desert starts south of Mt. Hood, east of the cascades, extending south to about California.

I don't know about the Washington part of the drive from Portland to Spokane, since I haven't taken it, but Google maps shows a desert-colored area. I've never had any desire or need to go to Spokane so I don't know that part personally.

But I grew up in Bend, Oregon, so I know the High Desert. :)
Veracohr

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Veracohr wrote:I don't know about the Washington part of the drive from Portland to Spokane, since I haven't taken it, but Google maps shows a desert-colored area. I've never had any desire or need to go to Spokane so I don't know that part personally.

That's the part I was talking about, actually. Since my memory was off on what it's called, let's see if Google has answers... (Google) the "Columbia Plateau". Ah. I think what I was remembering was the US 395 portion of that route in particular not having much.

Way off from Bend, you are right, although the ecosystems seem somewhat similar. Apparently the Columbia Plateau gets a *bit* more rain than the Oregon High Desert.

Yes, the first part of the Columbia River Valley (also on the way to Spokane) is very, very green (we did a hike around Multnomah Falls, we know that :) ). The last part wasn't as much but you can enjoy the huge amount of electric windmills on that route.

Spokane is sort of neat but the only reason we were there is as a midway point to get to Glacier National Park.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Veracohr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:23 am

Sorry, when I get drunk I tend to start thinking things are really important that actually aren't.
Veracohr

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.