Other people's music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Other people's music

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:17 pm

This is a tune called Space Train from an album of the same name which I found at the local Salvation Army about twenty years ago. It's the 1977 NIU jazz ensemble which is the university in the town I live in (as a side note my town is also where The Wurlitzer factory was and where they made the Wurlitzer electric pianos!, and where barbed wire was invented). Anyway, this record is pretty kick buttt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr7rsuy0o0h8dj7/03%20Space%20Train%202.mp3?dl=0
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 am

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm

ClavAnother wrote:

Not a bad way to live at 92 :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 pm

ClavAnother wrote:This is a tune called Space Train from an album of the same name which I found at the local Salvation Army about twenty years ago. It's the 1977 NIU jazz ensemble which is the university in the town I live in (as a side note my town is also where The Wurlitzer factory was and where they made the Wurlitzer electric pianos!, and where barbed wire was invented). Anyway, this record is pretty kick buttt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr7rsuy0o0h8dj7/03%20Space%20Train%202.mp3?dl=0

That is pretty cool.. I love local finds like that.. I used to go with my mom to thrift stores all the time since the 80's even down here and Iv'e always still managed to find these tapes of recordings some guy did at beaches around Florida. Thrift stores are the only place I've seen them.. it's crazy. No idea how that's happened, I doubt that many people bought them :idk:

But.. I dunno man. I miss the days of local media. I will always pine for local horror hosts, public access TV, after school cartoons and kids clubs.. :cry: Everything down here is getting eaten up in surburbia and gentrification. I have zero clue what goes on these days around here. I suspect not much other than food truck bullshit. No local bands .. nothing.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 pm

MetroSonus wrote:No local bands .. nothing.

They still exist, I have just officially Gotten Old :wave: and have stopped caring. :lol:

The band concept is of lesser importance these days if you want to "make it" or something, as most Billboard Hot 100 type stuff seems to be dominated by the DJ dance / hip hop scene. But some places still exist (the indie, roots/Americana, or metal scene for instance) where bands are still aight.

Around Tampa, if you wanted more places to play these days, lighter singer-songwriter type styles probably would work best as, my opinion, there are a lot of places that want to seem "artsy" and want to "support arts", but do not necessarily have the stage for full bands, or actually want the full volume of a full rock band anyways. I'm thinking your wine bars or gentrified restaurants or whatnot. :lol: Not exactly a new thing in a sense, it's sort of like if you wanted to play the beach bars, even back in the 1980s, it would be best to adapt a second rate Jimmy Buffett vibe of some kind, because marketing reasons. Beach bums just aren't going to form mosh pits to a metal band with a Clearwater Beach sunset in the background or something.

Having said that, there are a few venues for full bands around here. If nothing else, our unofficial long-running home for local metal and punk still is running strong (in a new location) from what I see. A few breweries or restaurants also still have band space, for whatever reason the trend has always been towards the newgrass / blues / roots / Americana end for those folks (maybe a bit of indie, too, but for some reason, apart from metal which we are bizarrely notable for, this area tends to love being a second rate Austin Texas scene as far as local music scenes go :p ) And as always, there's probably "other stuff" going on in other "tribes" that I have no idea about, because I am not a part of them.

Incidentally, there's actually a small scene for horror hosts on the Internet. And the "offbeat" channels of less-sanitized streaming (eg Roku) sometimes seem reminiscent of the early days of cable or public access to me, albeit without that sort of thing that comes from the "local connection". (Youtube as well, although that leans *way* too heavily into the side of cable access that babbled about conspiracy theories or tried to shock jock you for entertainment purposes.)
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm near Chicago so there always was and always will be a local scene.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Tampa was known to have one of the best local scenes around, it's shame it's gotten so much smaller.

I don't know, I"m a bit bummed that electric guitars are basically dead in anything mainstream and for most people under 30, basically. Acoustics are ok, anything with keyboards is ok, but electric guitars are done. That totally changed the music scene...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Electric guitar is raging in Chicago. But now there's Electro-mechanical keyboard players which is cool enough
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Maybe I should be in Chicago :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:43 pm

At the time, I was just too young to appreciate everything here.. I lived some of it, but didn't grasp most of it until later. So much hair / death metal. We probably had more cover bands per square mile than the rest of the US. So many dance clubs. We had a huge Dj scene too.. Rabbit in the moon is here, Dj icey, rick west.

Electric guitar is now niche.. that's kinda weird to me. I'll still say it was annoying (as I'm sure I was at that age) but I miss the whole indie / DIY / beta male rock thing. The ipod shuffle made music cool again for a while. That wasn't a bad thing.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:32 am

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 am

ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:27 pm

RIP Genesis P-Orridge. :cry: Passed away on 14th March.

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:47 pm

This is amazing, especially the way they're carrying on with social distancing and masks. :love:

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:03 pm

That's pretty cool.. I wonder if they're using Britney spears type mics lol. I liked the setting for the first one, it was like they were in the rafters of some barn.
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:54 pm

So greetings all! I wanted to make an entry today into the OPM thread.. Back in march at the beginning of lockdown I started watching Dr who on Pluto TV online.. they mostly had all of the 4th doctor stories and a couple of the others. They just repeat over and over and just the other day I signed up for brit box on amazon, so I can watch the rest.

in watching them, I noticed many things I had never seen before. I guess since i had seen them so many times, I wasn't paying attention to the plot. I noticed all of the wobbly sets, the wires that made the TARDIS console work, even some fat guy who fell down and had a split in the crotch of his pants in the horns of nimon.

Any way, I really went through and watched Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and I suddenly realized how modern they seemed to the previous seasons. Most of DW was really just fantasy with Sci Fi tacked on and when I watched these all on PBS, after sitting through almost a year (they used to show them in combined movie format, once a week) of the 4th and 5th Doctors, the 6th and 7th just blew by and I never really noticed what a departure they were from the previous seasons. I've considered Davidson's run to simply be more 4th Doctor with a different doctor.

I did some reading and I found that, at that point, DW was bringing in some new blood and trying to move in a newer and fresher direction. I was only about 13 or so when Baker II and McCoy were on and I didn't really grasp all of the subtle references at the time, but I definitely did feel like it was a bit more "now" than previously. We start seeing the cyber punk theme of man being meshed with electronics, as men are converted into cybermen in Attack of the cybermen and later, into Daleks in Remembrance of the Daleks. However I think the first time this was done on DW was in Frontios, with the guy in the digging machine. The cyberman didn't bother me so much, but the digging machine and Dalek really freaked me out as a kid.

Even the set designs changed. Vengeance on Varos featured walls that were sponge painted (a popular technique back then). Remembrance of the Daleks and Paradise towers featured sconces, torchiere lamps, fluted, flat gray walls and pastel colors that were considered hip and futuristic at the time. The stories too, went into the dystopian future. Soylent green, robocop, running man, judge dredd and so on all provided influences that contributed to those stories. I never really realized what a huge departure it was from the gothic, classic, medieval, renaissance and sometimes greco roman horror of many of the previous seasons.

Anyway... I'm a music guy and a good sound track that speaks out to me is something I can really get into and I think it makes the movie, show or game greater than the sum of it's parts. So in paradise towers, they went outside the BBC to find someone to do the soundtrack. It was composed by Keff McCullough and unfortuantely I couldn't find any information on his studio, but on a re-watch of the episode as a 45 year old man (at the time of this writing) I can say that dude was definitely cool.

We no longer hear the typical synth laden sound track and instead, Keff puts us right into ROMoler and sampler territory. and honestly, I just love the fucking hell out of it for all the orchestral stabs, pads, synth leads.. He had all the cool stuff at the time. I can't find an online video or audio clip of it, but the orchestral hits when Mel is being attacked by the oldsters, are the exact same ones that are in the opening of LA Style's James Brown is dead.

Consider this, the "Cleaner theme", which is a dead ringer or at least a riff on the sound track from the original Doom. I was struck by how obvious it was and several other people have noticed the similarities too :lol: Doctor Who was never so cool before :lol:

but anyway, here you go, enjoy a ton of rompler and sampler goodness from the late 80s with the full soundtrack:

Oh it's worth mentioning too, the music during some of Alexi Sayle's bits in revelation of the daleks was a bit forward thinking too. One scene was jimi hendirx's fire and the other was a drum loop. Both were processed through a flange, I guess to make them sound futuristic and punk.

MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 pm

MetroSonus wrote:That's pretty cool.. I wonder if they're using Britney spears type mics lol. I liked the setting for the first one, it was like they were in the rafters of some barn.

Apparently per the video it was Pražská křižovatka which is an ancient 14th century church in Prague. Not sure if this piece is originally one of those type, but some orchestral / choral pieces do things like that where choir groups are placed in "non-standard" locations for various effects. It'd be a pretty cool effect to sit at floor level and hear the singing come down from the rafters, that's an effect a stereo recording won't be able to capture. :)
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Even the set designs changed. Vengeance on Varos featured walls that were sponge painted (a popular technique back then). Remembrance of the Daleks and Paradise towers featured sconces, torchiere lamps, fluted, flat gray walls and pastel colors that were considered hip and futuristic at the time. The stories too, went into the dystopian future. Soylent green, robocop, running man, judge dredd and so on all provided influences that contributed to those stories. I never really realized what a huge departure it was from the gothic, classic, medieval, renaissance and sometimes greco roman horror of many of the previous seasons.

The writing for Baker II went in a bit more of a James Bond type direction for a while which was a bit iffy, McCoy I did like a lot.

Some of the episodes were making political statements about the era, The Happiness patrol certainly.

I'm glad you lot loved the videos... there is one really funny one where they have two recorder players with them who play thourhg little holes in their masks!
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Ah, here we go :lol:

Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:05 am

MetroSonus wrote:but the orchestral hits when Mel is being attacked by the oldsters, are the exact same ones that are in the opening of LA Style's James Brown is dead.

Ah, the sound of early samplers. A search led to GS which pointed me to this video of Emu Emax disk presets...

It sounds like the "James Brown is Dead" intro sound is at both 2:55 and 3:26 or so. Many of the other orchestra stabs sound pretty familiar.

Unfortunately a dead sound these days. (As opposed to new wave synthpop... which even though it is 2020, you can have #1 hits that kinda sound like they came from 1982.)
soundwave106

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.