christianrock's Hugh Laurie mancrush

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: christianrock's Hugh Laurie mancrush

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Learning electronics now, eh? This pleases us.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:19 am

So my Fusion is at my son's bedroom now, and he and his brother take turns during the day with online piano lessons. They're no prodigies at this point, they're learning at a slow pace but they're learning :)

Which means I kind of lost my one keyboard...

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd set of keys therefore, and have been looking at an Arturia Keylab 88 (the mark I)... it's sold out everywhere, but should be back in a couple weeks I think. 88 keys, and I'd be using it with my computer anyway at this point I think. Plus it comes with a ton of Arturia sounds that seem pretty useful (not that I need them, I haven't even used all the stuff I have with Komplete 8...) and a nice Steinway D sample VST (which I think will be very useful since I have Alicia's Keys but I find that Yamaha C3 sound a bit... uninspiring). I'm also looking at a mixer with USB and nice preamps (Soundcraft FX12).

That with Maschine for programming some drums hopefully, and I think I might be back at producing music this year. I'm feeling it this time :drink:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am

I've done it... I got me the Arturia 61 Essential, and a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (used).They should be here by the end of next week I think...

I feel good about this.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 26, 2020 5:16 pm

whoo you gotta tell me how you like that soundcraft.. I've loved their sound since the 90's.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Yeah I got that mixer because at this stage in my life, I think I want to simplify. Just record songs for the songs themselves, not trying to build up a brand of an artist profile or anything like that. So just an acoustic with two mics (I like stereo mic'ing), myself singing and then later I'll add keys, backing vocals and if the song calls for it, maybe drums and bass. I might buy a cajon... I think I'll use my photography as "album covers" for the songs when I post them to youtube.

What attracts me to that mixer is the 12-in-12-out USB connection, where I will be able to send 12 channels from the DAW into the mixer and mix them in the analog realm, sending the mixed product back to the computer. Considering that I just want to be practical and sound reasonably good without trying to be mr. super producer...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri May 29, 2020 4:21 am

Initial impressions from the Arturia Keylab Essentials 61 keys...

. Keybed isn't bad at all. It's not premium, and it's definitely synth action, but it's not bad.
. UVI Grand Piano is as sweet as I thought it was
. I feel restricted by 61 keys.... not that I'm a good pianist, but I do like to go up and down the keyboard.
. Arturia Software Center sucks. Apparently it's common for the servers not do respond... so I havne't been able to use the Analog Lab yet. I could try the offline registration but... too lazy, too late in the night.

Nighty nite!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.