hai guyz!

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: hai guyz!

Postby gregwar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:19 pm

the behringer modular stuff is giving me serious G.A.S. the likes of which i have not felt in some time. something about the boog system 55 is causing a reality distortion field esp because i heard a rumour these modules are $50-100 (us).

also, the berry arp 2600 looks f*cking amazing.

some of the sample libraries from heaviocity are on sale but full price they’re like $500-700. you could buy a mini boog or a bro-1 and a tight little modular setup for that and have change left over!

:like:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:57 pm

I have an amazon rewards credit card and I decided that I'm just using all my points on music gear :lol:

Too many good things out these days.. I've been watching Ebay and I'm amazed that there's not the used market there was. Synths like the sh201 (which I always wanted) are going for 800$ :lol: I know that's just companies or people hoping someone stupid is going to come along and buy it.

I dunno.. I'm kinda like outboard, all analog and software all samples and VA and everything else? I'm slowly getting back into it. I just wish the used market was so abysmal right now.

Im' glad I returned my launch pad xl and found out the pro is coming out. It's got computer independent sequencing built in.. so I can run all that outboard gear now too.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:07 pm

I want that behringer system 100 rig. I’m not as interested on the 55, but I feel like I would buy it anyway. Some of my friends and I are assuming the $50 modules will be utilities, and most of the heavy hitters will be $100. But even if you figure they’re mostly all 100, then the S100 will be less than $1100
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:29 pm

yeah I'm on board with the system 100 too.. something I've always wanted. It's a re creation too, not like rolands own system 500? that had modern modules in it. it was like an expensive reboot of stuff you could get on the eurorack market anyway.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 am

MetroSonus wrote:Too many good things out these days.. I've been watching Ebay and I'm amazed that there's not the used market there was. Synths like the sh201 (which I always wanted) are going for 800$ :lol: I know that's just companies or people hoping someone stupid is going to come along and buy it.

I've lately found Reverb better for used gear -- you do have the same overpriced wannabes, but from what I've found there's a better chance at getting more reasonable stuff.

There's a lot of interesting things going on in hardware space indeed. A fair bit of boutique analog polys in the $3000ish range (a lot, but that's what my Andromeda was "back in the day", with the more boutique stuff like the Sunsyn or SE Omega stuff being much higher) as well as some interesting hybrid synths, some of which are pretty affordable. And a lot of clones from the past that are at actual affordable prices.

The only personal thing I've actually got a pre-order on (apart from Synthtech's E520) is an Expressive E Osmose. Also have my eye on whatever is the successor to the Audiothingies MicroMonsta (since it's small, cheap, supports MPE, and seems to have a sweet spot VA sound.)

Oddly enough, software space seems to be somewhat stagnant of late. Weird.
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 pm

I'm usually snug as a bug with samples so most of the software buzz goes over my head.

However, i did see someone talking about that in a video. I guess it's all market dynamics, but for the most part the last 20 years were spent buying / building the most "authentic" analog creations possible and now everyone jumped and its buying them from behringer for 300$ lol.

I for one, am happy korg released their M1, wavestation and tirton in software and the D50 from roland. Although on the latter, you have to rent it from roland :( I want more of that honestly.. I still find a lot of value in things like that. having the openness of software to edit a full blown synth in is something I've always wanted.

if it were me, I'd make a huge, sampling, vector modular S+S beastie.

But anyway, I guess all in all, it only goes to show software was a stop gap until someone had the balls to make a cheap analog. I'm kinda sad though that rompelrs are just kind of for live musicians now. I miss the days when they were complete workstations, but software also is a work around in how you can combine a sampler and rompler VST now in Live or something make it into a giant instrument.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:30 am

MetroSonus wrote:I'm usually snug as a bug with samples so most of the software buzz goes over my head.

I did update Tone2 Icarus to the 2nd version (better interface, MPE, new modes etc.) recently and the developer there is saying it's the last Tone2 synth. One of the reasons he cited was market saturation. Figures. A lot of my most used stuff in software land (like Diva and Omnisphere) were released in the 2012-2014 range.

The big thing I'm finding with the expressive MPE synths is that some of the MPE softsynths turn into serious CPU hogs whenever you try any type of movement. Hence even in this space, standalone hardware might be welcome. We'll see which manufacturer tickles my ears. (The ASM Hydrasynth and UDO Super 6 unfortunately didn't, which is a pity. The $3000+ polys are more than I want to spend right now considering I've got 3 analog polys already, that's honestly enough :lol: ).

A couple of Korg Wavestate demos on the other hand have sounded extremely impressive (it's *much* more than a mere Wavestation clone, it sounds like they took the idea and made a modern version), so that's "on my radar". (Especially if a module version comes out.)
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 pm

The wavestate is on my radar too.. how could it not be ;lol:

{quote]The big thing I'm finding with the expressive MPE synths is that some of the MPE softsynths turn into serious CPU hogs whenever you try any type of movement.[/quote]

That's all that value crunching I guess.. it's not the amount of data but the real time processing I'm sure. maybe the next thing to come out will be a dedicated low overhead OS for music. :idk:

I always thought the studio on a card thing was a good idea. Shit, give me a lunch box type interface and the ability to plug in a virus, nice big ass rompler, have that all be a VST. I'd be happy.. I don't think it'll happen in that regard and there's enough software to fill any hole as you were just saying, it's all saturated now.

That'll happen to cheap analogs and then what next? I think people need to get working on music and worrying less about GAS and "why don't they just...!?"

Aren't we overdue for a teenaged rebellion? I want more music and less gear lol.. get back to DIY and drop the Instagram influence chic.. fuck shit up. big hair don't care.. my inner rivet head is getting atrophied.
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 pm

ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:24 pm

my whole fresh install debacle led me to look at the software purchases over the years. i got the century pack from puremagnetik like 8-10 years ago (?) and they are still honouring it. sadly the included t-shirt got french fry grease on it lol

anyways, they have a subscription model where they release “mini” sound packs and now plug-ins. i find that bc there is no super srs pressure to develop a major release they can make creative weird effects. ni has done this a bit with the mod and crush packs. also, i think output is doing a similar thing with arcade
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:48 pm

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:30 pm

gregwar wrote:my whole fresh install debacle led me to look at the software purchases over the years. i got the century pack from puremagnetik like 8-10 years ago (?) and they are still honouring it. sadly the included t-shirt got french fry grease on it lol

anyways, they have a subscription model where they release “mini” sound packs and now plug-ins. i find that bc there is no super srs pressure to develop a major release they can make creative weird effects. ni has done this a bit with the mod and crush packs. also, i think output is doing a similar thing with arcade

Greg....... you are a fan of the roland cloud, is you not? They have the D50 and just added the XV5050.. I am really tempted. is the price still 20$ monthly? That aint nothing.. I would be very, very happy with those two and the triton.. not to mention the other stuff you get on the cloud.

What say ye, yea or nea?
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm

dude looks like beavis :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 pm

I let the Roland cloud expire a month-ish ago. They gave me two free plug-ins for being an early adopter and I chose the Jupiter 8 and the system 100. I can switch them to whatever and I might change the system 100 to the d-50.

I think you would really like the rompler stuff that is included like the srx expansions and the anthology series. I personally really like the virtual analog stuff like the sh-2, system 100, jupiter 8, etc. the aria stuff is good too the system-8 plug-in is a beast.

If I find there is "mojo" missing logic has midi effects you can use. I'll put a really slow and subtle random lfo on the fine tuning, put Soundtoys and uad stuff (like the vertigo vsm-3, Neve, etc) on there to big up the sound.

some of the Roland plug-ins like the Jupiter have an aging knob that can add a lot of vibe. I'm taking a few courses/upgrading at the moment so I don't have tons of time to play with the Roland Cloud but when that's done I want to renew my sub

I had a mini jam session on the weekend and one of my long-time collaborators noticed my rig was a lot snappier with the fresh instal (probably b/c I was gushing about it lol).
gregwar

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Just found this in a charity shop for £4.99 lol, still has the protective film on it:

Didn't know what it was, turns out it's intended for ipad/iphone apps... have to see if it will talk to other USB MIDI kit.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Grrr, seems to only send midi over bluetooth and apparently only ever intended to work with one specific app on iOS.

Had a go with MIDIOX on a direct USB connection and it doesn;t seem to send, I think that's only there to charge.

Pity, it's a different control surface.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 pm

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Grrr, seems to only send midi over bluetooth and apparently only ever intended to work with one specific app on iOS.

Had a go with MIDIOX on a direct USB connection and it doesn;t seem to send, I think that's only there to charge.

Pity, it's a different control surface.

Is it bluetooth? the name had me like :lol:

I've been getting back into FL studio lately.. the "hot" sampler amp just makes everything sound better. I like it as a drum machine, not so much as a production suite.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:40 am

MetroSonus wrote:Is it bluetooth? the name had me like :lol:

Dream Cheeky seems to be a company that existed from around 2008 to 2017... they seemed to make a lot of cheesy novelty crap for the most part (like a "big red button" that makes a few cheesy "stress relief" sound effects.

Based on their Facebook (which hasn't had a post since 2016) and their web page which via archive.org expired some time in 2017 I think they "ain't around no more".

Someone did make a driver for Macs here. There's also a Linux driver. Can't pull up the MIDI page for the Windows version mentioned on the Mac driver page but I did download it through archive.org.

It's a .NET EXE that's decompile-able. :cool: Looks like this USB keyboard just sends very basic note on / note off information as a byte stream. Very primitive...
soundwave106

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:43 am

(BTW I'm assuming the iPlay Piano board and most of the references I'm finding, which are the roll up keyboard they also made, use the same system.)
soundwave106

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.