MiniMoog

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: MiniMoog

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:27 am

Ok so this is out there now. I don't even want this thing but I guess I'm buying one. Where do I sign up??

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks for posting that!! I saw it pop up on face book and wanted to watch. Not bad for 300$
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Seems like they did a pretty good job nailing that Minimoog sound. I'm still more partial to the SE-02 personally of the 3-osc ones coming out, but this is quite a bit closer to the pure Model D sound for those that love that.

If the price is $300 as speculated, it's kind of amazing that you could actually put together a "6 voice Minimoog" for what the vintage stuff goes for now... actually it might be a lot less. (That is, you'd take 6 of these for $1800, add a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus for $200 to do polyphonic MIDI routing, and mix the output down into a cheap $70 6 channel mixer. Now you have $900 to make this setup pretty in a couple of racks or something. :cool: )

For me, too bad it's the Minimoog that gets the clone treatment (although I'm sure many are delighted). If Behringer ever decides to tackle the SEM, such a setup would be tempting for me. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm liking the SE-02 better too.. it reminds me more of a chip synth.. I don't know why that's my thing lol.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:08 pm

I'd never heard of a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus. Would that work with eight new SEMs?
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:33 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I'd never heard of a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus. Would that work with eight new SEMs?

I sense a plan hatching... :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 pm

i just listened and somewhat watched a comparison video, i think it's the same one posted above

they really nailed the sound. the behri d sounds more like a mini moog then a voyager almost/maybe? lol

for 3 bennies what a time to be alive!

it's actually going to be hard to choose between this or the se-02 for me... :jam:

also, i really think a lot of monos are goin lg to look over priced now like the matrix brute, ms-20m, hell even the karp oddity
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:16 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I'd never heard of a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus. Would that work with eight new SEMs?

There are unfortunately not too many devices that can take a polyphonic MIDI signal in one channel and split it into x monophonic MIDI signals, each in a separate channel.

This is the MIDI Solutions one, the only one I know in production / available immediately. Unfortunately, the solution is a bit clunky from what I see. And only supports six voices.

The best one I know of personally is the Mutable Instruments MIDIPal with its handy "dispatcher" routine. That can handle up to 15 monos. So yes you could make an eight voice if you want to. The big issue here is that it's out of production. (Two DIYish versions exist -- MIDIGal, MIDIBro).

Future Retro also had a neat looking product called the Mondovox. I don't see it on their site anymore. So I assume this is also out of production.

Several Eurorack products can route a MIDI signal into polyphonic CV (usually four). If you don't mind dealing with CV/Gate and have a Euro rig already, that also is an option (though four is usually the max poly).

CV/Gate wise there's also the standalone EDV, with their MUC series. The boxes are on the pricey side for this sort of thing, but that will at least get you 8 poly there too, and they seem at least available via their Ebay store. I use an earlier four voice version for my modular so I can vouch that it works well.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 pm

*prays to the GAS gods*
please don't let me get the idea that I NEED an oberheim 8-voice that I can construct myself out of new technology
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 pm

shit.

I would very much like to consruct my very own oberheim 8-voice. that is all.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 pm

sir. That is technically within your grasp.

THINK ABOUT IT
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 pm

ClavAnother wrote:shit.

I would very much like to consruct my very own oberheim 8-voice. that is all.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 pm

Indeed.

yessssss...

hummmnnnn.............
Plink Floyd

Previous

Return to KSS