Roland System 8

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland System 8

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:49 am

I am glad to hear that the keybed is nice.

Thursday.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

i'm a little disappointed that the dm12 can't do fm or other "cross-mod" type sounds. also, why no saw on osc 2?

if behri is testing the waters they have gotten much interest. now i think they should add the glaring omissions on a jupiter clone :grin:

i know ur not interested in softies miekwar but poly kb 3, plus all the plug-ins from roland cloud 4 will tide me over until a more robust but somehow affordable analog poly comes out
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 pm

gregwar wrote:i'm a little disappointed that the dm12 can't do fm or other "cross-mod" type sounds. also, why no saw on osc 2?

if behri is testing the waters they have gotten much interest. now i think they should add the glaring omissions on a jupiter clone :grin:

Apparently, they are cloning several big name old school synths in the future. I think the reason for the things lacking on the DM12 as you've mentioned is that it started as a Juno 106 clone, and they just started adding more features but then really never revisited the OSC section. Maybe? I dunno. I still want one.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

So you guys made me go and listen to lots of System 8 demos. I'm not clicking with the sound - don't get me wrong, great interface, it sounds very good... but just like with the Access Virus, it sounds more VA than analog. If you know what I mean. Just personal taste.

I'd still go with the DeepMind personally. After listening to the Roland, I went back and listened to the DeepMind again. And I went

On the pluses for the Roland, at least the supersaw is a lot better, unlike the Jupiter 80 and Integra-7 where it is actually a sample :facepalm:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Did you listen to the 106 plugout?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Yes. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but it sounds like a good... emulation. The chorus is almost perfect.

I think I like the Jupiter emulation better.

As for the DeepMind, it does sound like the 106, but I think it's not a perfect emulation. However on its own, if I think of it as just being the synth that it is... it sounds really, really good. For my own personal taste... I always make sure to add, I'm sure others think differently.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm

christianrock wrote:Yes. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but it sounds like a good... emulation. The chorus is almost perfect.

I think I like the Jupiter emulation better.

As for the DeepMind, it does sound like the 106, but I think it's not a perfect emulation. However on its own, if I think of it as just being the synth that it is... it sounds really, really good. For my own personal taste... I always make sure to add, I'm sure others think differently.

I agree with you. I LOVE the DM12 sound. Love it. That being said, the S8 nails the 106 close enough for me and is > Boutique, because polyphony. And let's face it, the reason I love the DM12 sound is because it sounds like a Juno. But the S8 can do that. Plus JP8. Plus original synth engine. Plus ability to expand with new synths later. Plus KNOBS. And, I'm actually a fan of the green LEDs. I know many people hate them, but I like it. (Incidentally, I'm also a fan of the aesthetics of the DM12)

So that's why I ordered the S8 first. IF the DM12 proves to be a quality instrument like I'm thinking it will, I will also have one of those later. :)

Also. I think I am keeping the Minilogue, also for now. I am still selling the JU-06 Boutique (and a Roland SP303 that I've had for years) now though. Interestingly, I've had more than a few bites in the synthsforsale subreddit. No takers yet, though.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Truth is, we're all spoiled for choice :) Any of these boards is capable of doing great tracks... even the lowly SH-201.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:08 pm

christianrock wrote:Truth is, we're all spoiled for choice :) Any of these boards is capable of doing great tracks... even the lowly SH-201.

Don't tell Clav, but the synth bass on the track HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE VOCALIZING FOR ME was done on the 201. HAHA (it doesn't sound terribad, but had I had the KRINGKRANG at the time, I would've done it on that)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Last night I spent a short time with the S8, and it is a very musical synth. I've never really thought of it as a VA or an analog or anything else. It's just a synth. It's working out nicely and I don't have any complaints yet. Last night I was actually using the S8 engine for pretty much the first time (other than a quick run through upon arrival). It's powerful. I'm hoping to use it tonight with the band (I'm basically a guitar player in this band) but I'm not sure if everyone is going to make it out tonight. I do have the drum machines ready as well as some bass sequences on the OB6 :) ...they don't even know about the RGB lights yet.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Truth is, we're all spoiled for choice :) Any of these boards is capable of doing great tracks... even the lowly SH-201.

Don't tell Clav, but the synth bass on the track HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE VOCALIZING FOR ME was done on the 201. HAHA (it doesn't sound terribad, but had I had the KRINGKRANG at the time, I would've done it on that)

I'm sure the bass track is fine. I've heard it before and I thought all the sounds were good.

Which is my point, we're splitting hairs in a sense :) All these synths sound great.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Lol kringkrang
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 pm

CR, there is also the interface for some people. I had the JP08 for at least 18 months and I played it for less than an hour
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:24 pm

gregwar wrote:i'm a little disappointed that the dm12 can't do fm or other "cross-mod" type sounds. also, why no saw on osc 2?

My guess is that this decision was entirely based on their starting point, the Juno 106. As this link shows, the Juno 106 oscillators send a master clock signal into a programmable counter. This spits out a square wave at the right frequency. The oscillator comes from a waveshaper to give you sawtooth / PWM square / etc. The suboscillator comes from a simple flip flop circuit.

It seems like the Deepmind architecture is very similar, especially Osc1. However, they probably replaced the flip-flop with something else to come up with more interesting possibilities. My guess is that they can do all of the operations they need to by playing around with whatever they are using for the "programmable counter". Software instead of hardware for the modulations, in other words.

The DeepMind Osc2 is more of a "super sub" in some ways.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 pm

christianrock wrote:Which is my point, we're splitting hairs in a sense :) All these synths sound great.

Splitting hairs, discussing, hating, raving, etc. It's all good as long as there are synths involved :) :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 pm

ClavAnother wrote:CR, there is also the interface for some people. I had the JP08 for at least 18 months and I played it for less than an hour

Knobs and slides were too small, right?

The current trend of synths with great interfaces is very nice. I wish my Fusion had more knobs and sliders. But hey it's what I got.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:02 pm

christianrock wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:CR, there is also the interface for some people. I had the JP08 for at least 18 months and I played it for less than an hour

Knobs and slides were too small, right?

The current trend of synths with great interfaces is very nice. I wish my Fusion had more knobs and sliders. But hey it's what I got.

Zomg it had sliders :facepalm: I thought those were on off switches
:lol:

That thing was even hard to read
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:09 pm

LOL @ on/off switches.

Yes, the interfaces on the Boutiques are tiny, but TO ME the resistance is such that having a small throw as they do isn't really that big of a problem unless you have nubs for fingers and you do NOT have finger nubs, Clav. You play guitar too well for those.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 pm

So, bit the bullet on the System 8, did you? I'm sure you'll love it. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes.

Along with a few other odds and ends I needed from Sweetwater.
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to KSS