Roland System 8

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland System 8

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks, EP. That's what I wanted to hear.

Honestly. Getting opinions around here is sometimes like pulling teeth. :lol:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm

selfinflikted wrote:YOU GUYS. Not both. I need to get my back porch screened in, so that only leaves fundage for one of them.

The KingKROG can do anything, pretty much. But it sounds like a Korg. Not a bad thing at all, but when you want something different than the "Korg" sound, .

Does it? I thought that was the one with all those different filter and osc models. I remember the Moog sounding moogy and so on.

Maybe I'm thinking of teh sledge?? Too many synths man
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm

:grin: It's what makes us "us".
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:22 pm

The Roland is FOuR synths. It comes with three and you can add another later. The sequencer is pretty good. The Jupiter 8 arpeggiator works like an ar should work, unlike the original JP8, which is a good thing. It does splits and layers too,
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:28 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:YOU GUYS. Not both. I need to get my back porch screened in, so that only leaves fundage for one of them.

The KingKROG can do anything, pretty much. But it sounds like a Korg. Not a bad thing at all, but when you want something different than the "Korg" sound, .

Does it? I thought that was the one with all those different filter and osc models. I remember the Moog sounding moogy and so on.

Maybe I'm thinking of teh sledge?? Too many synths man

No, you're thinking correctly. They filter emulations are good. But the KingKORG filters are my favorites. But they all still sound Korg-y to me. Again, this is not a bad thing.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:12 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Honestly. Getting opinions around here is sometimes like pulling teeth. :lol:

See, my answer would be: none. :lol:

A) With the availability of high quality software such as Diva, as well as having two pretty powerful real analog synths (P6 and Andromeda), I'm personally not interested in virtual analog hardware synths. So that rules out the System 8 for me.

B) I am thinking that the Alesis Andromeda I have can pretty much cover the same ground as the Deepmind and then some (though these days turning off the built in effects and using good VST effects is probably the best idea for that angle). It's also early in the game for the Deepmind, and from posts it does sound like firmware bugs are being worked out; supply also seems a bit limited.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:15 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Honestly. Getting opinions around here is sometimes like pulling teeth. :lol:

See, my answer would be: none. :lol:

A) With the availability of high quality software such as Diva, as well as having two pretty powerful real analog synths (P6 and Andromeda), I'm personally not interested in virtual analog hardware synths. So that rules out the System 8 for me.

B) I am thinking that the Alesis Andromeda I have can pretty much cover the same ground as the Deepmind and then some (though these days turning off the built in effects and using good VST effects is probably the best idea for that angle). It's also early in the game for the Deepmind, and from posts it does sound like firmware bugs are being worked out; supply also seems a bit limited.

Thanks, mang!

The rest of us should be so lucky to have an Andromeda. :poke:

That said, I'm SUPER not into softsynths. I recognize they are awesome these days, but I don't feel the connection with them that I do with hardware VAs. Yes, I know that probably sounds weird, but weird I am.

I also MAY or may not have just ordered something expensive from Sweetwater.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:36 pm

I always thought the Andromeda was going to be cool. Since before it came out. Then over the years I didn't even think I'd ever get to play one. Then STG got one and I went to play it...and it always had problems and never worked. Then I read that the problem it had was known and common. Then my opinion of them dropped to the flier and I wrote them off. And then I played the Jupiter 8 that was sitting next to it.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I always thought the Andromeda was going to be cool. Since before it came out. Then over the years I didn't even think I'd ever get to play one. Then STG got one and I went to play it...and it always had problems and never worked. Then I read that the problem it had was known and common. Then my opinion of them dropped to the flier and I wrote them off. And then I played the Jupiter 8 that was sitting next to it.

Tis true. But I reckon SoundWAR's Andromeda is a-workin' just fine.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm

That's what I'm thinkin'
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Oh I forgot, they sell brushed aluminum or wooden sides for the system 8, so that pretty much clinches it.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:12 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Oh I forgot, they sell brushed aluminum or wooden sides for the system 8, so that pretty much clinches it.

Yes.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 pm

I think you mentioned already, but what's the build quality like on the System 8? Do the knobs feel solid or wiggly? Are the keys at least "nice enough"? Do you feel like you could twist the whole board without too much effort, or is it a tank?

whatcha think?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 pm

ClavAnother wrote:That's what I'm thinkin'

Yeah, mine "works fine" at least as far as all the synthy parts are concerned. I even gigged with the ol' sucker at one point.

The one issue that I currently have is a common one: the pots that Alesis used are not the best, and my Andromeda does occasionally have an issue of "ghost editing" (a problem that affected similar era Alesis synths like the Ion worse). Taking the knob off and blasting the affected pot with compressed air has fixed the issue so far. I probably should order some Deoxit though in case at some point that is not enough.

I also know there are some "other issues" where Alesis went on the cheap (non-locking flimsy connectors between boards for instance); I would never gig with this synth at this point.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think you mentioned already, but what's the build quality like on the System 8? Do the knobs feel solid or wiggly? Are the keys at least "nice enough"? Do you feel like you could twist the whole board without too much effort, or is it a tank?

whatcha think?

Pretty sure I wouldn't call it a "tank." All the reviews I've seen say build quality is definitely plasticky. But I don't mean to step on Clav's toes. He has one. He'd know best.

That said, it's going to park in the main slot on my main desk, because I'm going to use it not only for it's own synths, but also for a knobby controller.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:07 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think you mentioned already, but what's the build quality like on the System 8? Do the knobs feel solid or wiggly? Are the keys at least "nice enough"? Do you feel like you could twist the whole board without too much effort, or is it a tank?

whatcha think?

Yes it's good. It's not panel mount, but everything feels solid. The knobs are sort of rubber coated so they are grippy and comfortable to touch. If you're familiar with the TR8, it's the same. The keys feel very nice considering most synths these days have a rather shitty keybed. It feels sort of 50% D50 action. Doing a gliss is very nice.

Also the aluminum sides make it battle proof*

*not really
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Right now I would go with the DeepMind but that might be because I don't know enough about the System 8.

I keep thinking about a combination of Deepmind 12 and DSI Rev2, along with a Pittsburgh SV-1 for mono sounds. I friggin fell in love with the sound of the SV-1, love the DM12 and the Rev2 sounds as well, though they are so different.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes. Buy all the synths. They are all great. Verily.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 pm

I wish I could buy them all. :cry:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 am

So I finally figured out what it is about the System 8 action. The upstop mechanism is so super tight that the keys don't bounce at all when they come to rest upon release. Every other synth in my studio has one or more bounces if you let the key snap up. It's almost weird - but it's cool
ClavAnother

PreviousNext

Return to KSS