quick interface question..

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

quick interface question..

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:51 pm

M-audio is updating their m-track line and sooner or later, I'm going to need a new(er) audio interface. I like that these new ones have USB on them too.

But question is, on the back, the one I want has 2 TRS ins. On audio interfaces, can you usually designate them as a stereo pair, like in software or something? I really need a stereo line in, but if this will do it, then I'm good to go...
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: quick interface question..

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Any DAW software should let you config it however you like. Even Audacity gives you many choices.

Unless I'm not getting the question?
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 pm

I think that's a software question to be honest.

For my Fireface 800, for instance, it's been a while since I set things up in Reaper... but from what I remember you set up input and output ranges, you then can create a stereo input or output out of any contiguous combination of the 8 mono TRS (balanced mono) inputs that you want (eg 1+2,2+3,3+4, etc.).

If a program uses the "default Windows" type sound scheme, I think only the individual balanced mono sources are available. The stereo sources of course are the stereo, for instance I have Winamp (yes, that old program) tied to the Fireface SPDIF to send stereo music to the entertainment center.

But I'm going to guess these ins are TRS for balanced... so you'd need a program with more setup flexibility than "the default way". (I'm also guessing these "non default setups" lean on the ASIO driver instead of the Windows internal driver, but any good audio interface should have an ASIO driver these days...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

I do my routings inside the daw. I set it up the first day, and never had to mess with it again, but for me channels 15 and 16 are always a stereo pair for drum overheads.

I don't think the interface has much to do with it.

That said, I use a Mac and I might not understand the question so feel free to ignore this Poast.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:05 pm

I'll have to check and see what live lets me do. I'm using a mac too :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:31 pm

gregwar

Postby Veracohr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:26 am

At the very least you should be able to send two balanced mono inputs to a stereo aux.
Veracohr

Return to KSS