Winter NAMM 2016

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Winter NAMM 2016

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:18 pm

selfinflikted wrote:So, does anyone here actually own any modular stuff? Or want to, even?

It's low down on my pirorities. :idk: I will admit that for me, I don't 100% see the point in it other than the pat on the back. 100% brand new out of the box analog doesn't sound that different to me than a hardware VA, or some weird ass routings I could do in software. I did my so old nobody cares and it's cheap analog thing back in the 90's and early 00's, when things were all corody, leaky and a bit worse for the wear and even though I had many poly 800's, no two sounded the same. However the sound was amazing.. it was all over the place. Loud, bassy, brassy, ballsy, mid range crunchy, fuzzy, warm.. I think all in all I had a DW8000, AJ2, Poly 800 uhh... and I think one or two more. Even to a point the out of whack EM1s I was banging a way on were mad bollocks :jam: :samsh: In sound.

Then one day, that real big jerk of a guy EP, sends me his pristine EX800 module. :lol: That thing is so clean and mint sounding, I realized right then when I first got it running, after jump starting the CPU, what I had been hearing from those other synths.. :cry: It's like finding out that there is no Santa..(if there any children reading this board, I only said that as an analogy to how I would feel, not that there is not no santa.. Image) thanks EP :wave:

Long story short, yes I think there is a difference in sound between analog and VA and VST, but I don't think it's that vast. It's as much one way on the scale, IMHO, as the old, leaky analog I had is the other way, with the new, clean stuff in the middle. It's just a matter of taste. But sadly, the old leaky crap is only an illusion.. as it won't last long and it's more a freak accident of nature than anything.

So I'm not all amaze balls about it. And you're right SI, the minilogue sounded very close to the Nord I used to have. And once you get it all recorded, compressed, effected, would you really know the difference? Only your undertaker would know for sure..

However, in contrast to all of the above, I would like to get into analog eventually.. Just cause more SYNTH :eek: Who wouldn't? :lol: I have a couple S&TG modules I need to get a PS and rack for. I do like the sound coming from the mother 32.. that kinda does hit me as amazeballs.. I just wish they had given you more than one oscillator. Maybe they'll come out with voice modules that you can patch in later.. that'd be nice.

But on the whole, before the new renaissance, I just wasn't into moog. I wasn't taken by the newer offerings like the voyager or the minitaur. I also don't think they we're living up to the image they wanted to project with the waifish, pasty, lady boy presenters with the douchebag hair cuts they used in all their video demos. I was similarly put off ableton live for the same reason. However I did eventually find that to be an indispensable tool.

I think some of the roland non vintage vintage stuff is cool too :idk: But hey, it's an open market now.. abbondanza!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:01 pm

selfinflikted wrote:So, does anyone here actually own any modular stuff? Or want to, even?

Yes, I has modular. Way too much of it actually. I've nicknamed it "the folly" :lol: It's too much because it's 4 poly capable (with a couple of single voice "solo" instruments). It's focused on hybrid (digital oscs and analog filters) because stuff like the Prophet 6 and Andromeda covers pure analog pretty well, right? And the computer covers pure digital pretty well.

Looking at what I have, it's funny that I ended up with a good deal of "old school modular" designers who went into Euro (Synthesis Technology and Modcan in particular) The main "new school" designers I have a lot of is Mutable Instruments and Intellijel (the later is more utilities). I'm not really into sequencing techno patterns or noisy shit so that eliminates a lot of the Euro market there. I came away from NAMM with a big "meh" even on modular other than picking up some more Z-DSP cards.

A lot of this is more for technological fun and giggles versus being really necessary for music. For instance, one thing on my todo list is to hack up a VST from a C++ synth design course out there (eg it has source!) so I can trigger samples from the computer into the modular. This is more Sparkfun type stuff vs. how to make Phat Skrillex Drops.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:58 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
A lot of this is more for technological fun and giggles versus being really necessary for music.

This just kinda confirms a hunch I've had when I read modular threads and listen to demos online. I mean absolutely no offense when I say this, but modular seems like it fills a nerdy/crafty/engineery void in peoples' lives. I don't recall ever hearing anything musically useful out of one I can't do on something I have. And besides, my brain already explodes just hooking up all the synths and modules I have to my mixer and audio interface. I don't think it would survive the tanglewebs that are modular synths. Hehe
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:35 pm

I don't disagree... that's my take too. All caffeine fueled levity aside.

What i wouldn't mind having though is a rack of filters, tube amps and other stuff to run synths through. Just cause I love sampling audio so much. I don't see myself having a decked out full on system. i admit I would like it if Moog came out with more voices for the mother 32 and even then though, i'd just still keep it in the pedestrian subtractive setup..
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:46 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I mean absolutely no offense when I say this, but modular seems like it fills a nerdy/crafty/engineery void in peoples' lives. I don't recall ever hearing anything musically useful out of one I can't do on something I have.

There are some things, but a lot are more esoteric in nature. Drones for instance -- most plugins and synths come hardwired to a VCA out, modulars don't need to be and thus can free run producing sound forever. Some audio rate modulation (good for special FX) doesn't work quite as well in the digital world -- that's another thing. CV sequencing also tends to produce a different "workflow", from what I see it's really good at either getting very wacky (with extreme modulations) or doing lots of repetition with small subtle variations (eg minimalism type stuff).

Generally speaking, the actual professional musicians that tend to own modular systems fall under more niche genres. Some old school ambient / space music guys own modular. Some sound designers own modular. Certain genres where whacked out sequencing or very repetitive, subtle changing sequencing is a good thing (eg minimal techno, IDM), some have modular as well. All I can see as being perfectly valid.

Musically, I fall under the ambient / space camp these days, and some of this is assembling drones on the modular or using the modular (effects section and filters) to process samples. So the modular is not *totally* a nerd thing for me. :tounge:

But yes, I do think the nerdy-crafty-engineery side is a pretty huge part of the Euro modular movement and certainly is part of the "fun". An example: one of the big threads on Muffwiggler that came up a lot was pseudo-Karplus Strong synthesis. Karplus Strong is an early physical model algorithm that produces string sounds; it's relatively simple, so you can "pseudo simulate" this with a short delay and a filtered feedback path. The result is not terribly useful IMHO musically -- it's kind of a boring "pluck". However, the *process* is kind of nerdy cool.

Another example: one of my modules I have is a SnazzyFX Ardcore. Because writing Arduino code to program your own CV sequencer is fun. :cool:

From my viewpoint, the downside of modular half being a tech nerd hobby is that many modern Euro modular music demos end up sounding... er, like random bleeps and bloops that are not musically useful. Not that this matters one iota if they are having fun with it, but the side of me that likes actual more tonal stuff finds it tough to sift through demos and actually get an idea how *I* would use it.

It will be interesting to see if the marketplace changes over time with popularly marketed semi-modulars like the Mother 32.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Yeah no modular for me, though I think it would be fun to pick up a Pittsburgh and mess around with it.

The investment scares me, though.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:15 am

I've already headed down too many slippery slopes already. First there are the VSTs. Totally cool sh*t with nowhere to go but up. The possibilities are limitless. I love what u-he is doing and will eventually get some of their things. I still haven't scratched the surface of Komplete and what all is in there (of course I could also say the same thing about my hardware for that matter - Kronos, MOXF6, etc). Then there is the new distraction. The Jeep. Talk about another slippery slope ... jeez.

Modular never appealed to me either. I like the bleeps and blips of the Putney and love what Floyd coaxed out of it. I was never much of a Moog guy either. I did like the ARP and went that route in the early days. So yeah, until I finish this school thing and get back to making real money once again, I don't need another bottomless pit - thank you very much.
midinut

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Actually, STG has a program where you go to his studio and build your own modules. The price is that you build some for him as well. Lots of people have taken him up on it. It's how he finds employees.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:05 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Actually, STG has a program where you go to his studio and build your own modules. The price is that you build some for him as well. Lots of people have taken him up on it. It's how he finds employees.

Does he, now? I LIKE this idea. Damn shame you guys live way to far away, though.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:41 pm

If you're interested, I recommend you contact him about doing it through the mail. If you populate enough boards, anything is possible.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:14 am

midinut wrote:I did like the ARP and went that route in the early days.
Oh yeah? Do tell...
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 am

Started off with an Axxe when I was 16 or so, found a used white face Odyssey a couple of years later. Also picked up a used String Ensemble at one point. There was a "piano" store a few miles from my house growing up that had a 2600 and I would ride my bike and play that thing until they ran me off. So that's my history with ARP. I haz a sad because I've let them all go over the years.

Nowadays I'm fairly happy with the GForce Oddity and the Arturia 2600V & Solina. Kinda makes me almost happy again. :smoke:
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:26 am

Cool. But I was hoping you were going to tell about the 2600 you got for your 12th birthday from your rich unk. But at least you got to play with one. As far as I can remember, I've never even been in the same room with a 2600. Not even at a concert anywhere. Unless they had one @ teh NAMMuseum, and I'm pretty sure they didn't.

And yeah, Odyssey. If I could have one thing back that I sold for cheap in the 90s, that would probably be it.

And also I wish I would have bought one or six of the Minimoogs that everyone was selling for three or four hunnert.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:01 pm

There were two of them in a high school auditorium not far from your place that I had the pleasure of playing with a few years ago at the AHMW gathering.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:18 am

ClavAnother wrote:AHMW gathering.

Are they still doing that? I should probably go to one...
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:10 am

yeah. STG goes every year. i haven't been to one for a long time, but I'd like to one of these days.

I think it's in april or may. I'll try to let you know this spring.

...hey, maybe we can meet up and you can buy me that :drink:

EP will probably come; he does that sometimes.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:18 am

Sometimes. :wave:

I've already committed to a late April trip to visit my wife's aunt. In FLORIDA. woot?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Alright. As of right now, I have plans to attend the AHMW meetup on March 23rd of 2016. At this time, these plans are most definite. Oh yes. They are most definite.

So what is it, you just show up? No pre-registration, nor rsvp, no muss no fuss?

And I really don't have anything special to show & tell about. Unless someone would want to see the relatively scarce Kawai SX-210 Crappy 80s DCO synth? Or teh Juno? & if so, would it cost me booth space or wut?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Do they have a website or facebook group? if it's a meetup, I just assume you go. If you want to bring anything you probably need to request space unless you wanna play Europe covers on the sidewalk :idk:

MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 am

The page for this year's meet.

This looks to be way fun. I am exite.

Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to KSS