Winter NAMM 2016

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Winter NAMM 2016

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 am

You didn't play one yet did you?
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:49 am

Can't say I have. You still haven't said why you don't like it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:20 am

Sorry. Everything about it is shitty. It's really not worth the bother. I'd rather drive that car that homer designed.

The new flagship is spot on, but we aren't supposed to know about that yet. Apparently you guys aren't in to it anyway though. That is of course understandable; large keys, superb quality, classic sound, exorbitant price tag...

The mutha3000 is tiny, made with very shitty components, has a dumb sequencer, is irritating to use, was designed by the marketing director<---- oh, but it's cheep.
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:44 pm

ClavAnother wrote:The mutha3000 is tiny, made with very shitty components, has a dumb sequencer, is irritating to use, was designed by the marketing director<---- oh, but it's cheep.

This means that a synth can be made that will sell buttloads to make way for lower selling niceties as a flagship $3K mono. :lol:

The synth market has changed.

There are, IMHO, much fewer people with piano backgrounds into synthesizers. A fair number of people might be "graduating" from making beats on pirated plugins and FL Studio, so come from a more programming / sequencing background. Hence the sequencer might be more important than the keys.

Euro is bigger among those that like more the experimental / IDM / noise etc. scenes. EG: Eurorack users tend to more like Autechre and Aphex Twin and actually know who Richard Devine is. Previous (5U) modular was more people who like Tangerine Dream and ELP and actually know who Larry Fast is. :lol:

There are more hobbyists in general. They aren't going to plop down as much in general as someone who makes loads of $$$ off music.

The actual market buying analog synth hardware (who can more justify pricey synths as a tax writeoff :lol: ) is more the "alternative" music market. Modern bands that DSI tweets about using his instruments for instance are more like Chvrches, Hot Chip, Passion Pit, etc. I'm sure the top alternative bands do okay, but the music today that makes the big $$$ (dance, teen pop, etc.) is pretty much made with software. (Pirated software, for that matter.) :lol:

I think the Mother 32 makes perfect sense in these times. And given the limitations it does seem to sound good in demo vids. Certainly better than some of the other one oscillator Euro semi-modulars I've heard in demo vids.

The flagship might be cool, but most likely due to me not being very into Moog I'm not interested. :) (Nor am I personally into the Mother 32.)

But times dictate certain things. I likes the Prophet 6 for instance. I'd prefer more keys, but I understand *why* it came out with 49 keys, and aren't going to Gearslutz-moan about it *too* much.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Yeah. It's not like I don't understand why these things happen, the point is that I don't accept inferior products.

I have decided that I am absolutely against sub-sized keys for instance. I reject the whole idea. I'm also against shitty instruments with poor design.

I only spoke up in the first place because of the mention that it would make any sort of sense to buy three m32 units. I wouldn't personnally recommend that to anyone.

I believe the flagship is actually going to come out at more like $5000, but the only reason I'm interested in it is because it has all the qualities I believe in. I'm not saying I'll buy one, I'm just glad somebody is making something that's worth anything at all.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:27 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Did anyone else listen to demos of the MatrixBrute? Thoughts?

Yes. I did.

It seems awesome. :kraftwerk:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I only spoke up in the first place because of the mention that it would make any sort of sense to buy three m32 units. I wouldn't personnally recommend that to anyone.

Eh, opinions differ. :lol:

At any rate it was more used as an example of the types of modular you can buy for the same price as a Arturia Matrixbrute (along with the Doepfer and .com starter systems, other semi-modulars, etc.). Just to show that modular doesn't have to be *outrageously* priced. Yes, for the same price of the Matrixbrute, you can also buy... one Cwejman module. And no, there is nothing as *super-value* as Arturia's little monos. But it's possible to get a bit of modular without really breaking the bank.

I reserve my "shitty" comments for total stinkers (say, the Akai Timbrewolf). Some design-compromised budget synths have become VINTAGE FETISH CLASSICS (SH-101, MS-20) and some people are using their three Mother 32 synths to make more music than I have lately. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm

i'm in the "there's no such thing as a bad synth" crowd I guess.. Although I do lean more towards the industrial / DIY eithos and I tend to see things more as sample sources than anything. So I don't approach synths from a historical, playing, nice furniture perspective :lol:

Re: Mother 32, I do get it being the "mother ship", sorta. Just wish maybe they had an oscillator bank or module to go with it. It does sound pretty fat. I suppose i could just sample and layer it if I wanted, if i was gonna get one :idk: Do like though.

I do agree SW, different markets, different times..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:46 pm

christianrock wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Did anyone else listen to demos of the MatrixBrute? Thoughts?

Yes. I did.

I just didn't hear anything out of it that would justify 1) The price, and 2) Actually buying Arturia stuff.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:21 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:

Yes. I did.

I just didn't hear anything out of it that would justify 1) The price, and 2) Actually buying Arturia stuff.

I liked the sound of it... and the possibilities of that matrix are mind boggling. If I were the experimental type, I'd be drooling over it. But I'd probably be happy with a Minibrute/Minilogue combination.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:38 pm

I dont get synth demos half the time, honestly. I usually wait until people have them and they start doing videos. Between the experimental bloopity bloops and the canned presets, you have no clue what it actually sounds like.

I'm really hyped about the korg Electribe Music Production Station thingy 2 though. I have been listening to lots of demos. It's based on the king Korg actually and you're supposed to be able to program parts now as opposed to just selecting a multisample. We'll see... I'm kinda scared though that I'll buy it and be like.. well, I could have just bought some new soft ware. :cry: I suppose I'll give it a whirl and keep an eye on the return policy. but that's how half these techno fad gadgets strike me.. a VST -ish VA or rompler and some drum samples.. :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:42 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I'm saying that marketing directors have no business designing products.

d00d the moog mother is sick. its the best product they've made since the slim phatty

why moog hasn't capitalized sooner on this whole analog modular revival is beyond me

designer "hey lets build a kick ass moog 55"

management "ok, but its gna cost $35 000 retail"

marketing "why don't we build a single-voice euro module with a sequencer and shitloads of patch points for around $600"

**breaks the internet**

if they put out a 2 voice module, a modulation one, etc they could really be onto something
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 pm

i would also like to score another point for the marketing team with the moog island of the electronics at namm lol

i think the 60hp case with a tip top audio micro zeus is around $200, so two of those and a 3 tier rack kit is close to $500 without any modules. its around the same price as the pittsburgh modular cell 48 at $250. the tip top audio happy ending kit might still be the best bang for the buck at $150 for 84hp

but if a guy built a 3 tier moog system with 1 moog mother for around $1100 and had 56hp in each case you could build a sweet system

:like:
Last edited by gregwar on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 pm

I too agree that it's a mystery why they haven't gotten into the modular euro thing. I think they've been really been sitting on elitist / hipster laurels for a long time.

and talk about marketing... WTF?!?!?1
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:23 pm

It does seem to me that the current renaissance in modular is eating Moog's lunch. They can't just sit on their name forever, they're going to have to bring something new to the game, or work harder at pointing out what differentiates them enough.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 am

I just think it's more that everyone and their... mother *cough* ... is making analog synths now. Even in polys we're up to 5 companies making fully analog signal path stuff now (3 of them boutique, but no matter, DSI and Korg are powerhouse enough). Analog mono wise, it's extremely crowded. Moog only does analog monosynths, so they probably are squeezed a bit especially consider they are some of the pricier of the bunch. (That being said, the Sub 37 has far more features, or at least a nicer front panel, than most of the cheap monos flooding the marketplace, I'm only aware of boutiques that are comparable features and knobs wise).

The main gap I now see in synths is hybrid... even here, we have the Prophet 12 and the Modal 002, but there's more room to differentiate. A lesson from Euro is that digital modules can be very popular, they are one of those things that have broadened the appeal of modular beyond the 1990s modular crowd.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:35 am

So, does anyone here actually own any modular stuff? Or want to, even?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 am

the only modular I have is the small set of thingies I made myself. I don't use them, though. That may change once I can devote more time to this, but I also had trouble calibrating the VCOs. Probably not insurmountable, but that's when I last messed with them, and just haven't gone back. :idk: I have to say, though, that the thought of building up a system from the crazy wide variety available these days is really attractive.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:44 am

selfinflikted wrote:So, does anyone here actually own any modular stuff? Or want to, even?
Purity has Teh Awesum Modular In Teh Wardrobe, ClavaModer has teh MS20 Maxi-Raxxi, Metro has, I believe, at least a Sea Devil, Veracohr's on the Module of the Month plan, Soundwaif has who knows wut but probably there's some modular in there somewhere. ElPup speaks for himself, and forgive me if I've missed anyone else.

I, of course, can haz no modules. :cry:

But I could see me deeply involved. At Sweetfest, I lingered over a very affordable starter set from teh Pittsburgh tempter...
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:48 am

Plink Floyd wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:So, does anyone here actually own any modular stuff? Or want to, even?
Purity has Teh Awesum Modular In Teh Wardrobe, ClavaModer has teh MS20 Maxi-Raxxi, Metro has, I believe, at least a Sea Devil, Veracohr's on the Module of the Month plan, Soundwaif has who knows wut but probably there's some modular in there somewhere. ElPup speaks for himself, and forgive me if I've missed anyone else.

I, of course, can haz no modules. :cry:

But I could see me deeply involved. At Sweetfest, I lingered over a very affordable starter set from teh Pittsburgh tempter...

Mmmmm yeah...

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to KSS