Hey CR...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Hey CR...

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm

This guys discusses features I didn't know it had, like sidechain (!!!)

Notice his keyboard of choice :cool:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:20 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:OOOOOOOOOO YOU'RE GONNA GET IN TROUUUUUUBLE OOOOOOOO

I has a slight scared. But I don't care because my new poly analog is on it's way!!!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: NAMM NAMM NAMM

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 pm

This is now the "NAMM 2016 SPECULATION / G.A.S." THREAD :lol:

ClavAnother wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:I dunno.... for only 5 Benjamins? And poly, to boot?

probably not 5 C's, not poly, not baby, and filled to the brim with want.

The unconfirmed Moog rumors I hear say "new flagship Moog ala Voyager", if that's what you are referring to. Of course, that could be 100% wrong.

But, really, totally different market IMHO. I mean, the Korg Minilogue is no Prophet 6 either from what I hear in the videos. Let alone a powerhouse mono.

But it's not bad poly analog (eg Akai Timbre Wolf). I think the sound is quite decent; for the price it's fantastic.

Korg did good here, IMHO this is the budget poly a lot have been clamoring for. Good thing, since some of the older budget polys of the past have gotten ridiculous in price lately.

It's interesting that they did such an early release though, like some are speculating one wonders if there are others with similar ideas...
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Oh yeah I'm not going to buy a flagship Moog anytime soon. Probably not ever.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:30 pm

christianrock wrote:Oh yeah I'm not going to buy a flagship Moog anytime soon. Probably not ever.

Me either. I'm sorta anti-Moog anyway.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:36 pm

I'm not anti-Moog. I just won't pay over $3K for a mono, no matter how good it is.
And I won't buy a Ferrari, either. Not that it isn't faster than what I drive.... I have other priorities.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:45 pm

christianrock wrote:I'm not anti-Moog. I just won't pay over $3K for a mono, no matter how good it is.
And I won't buy a Ferrari, either. Not that it isn't faster than what I drive.... I have other priorities.

Well that's my point. Moog is and always has been over-priced, over-hyped, and the sound is always MOOG. It's like every piece of kit they put out sounds exactly the same to my ears. I know, I know. "Miek, you are teh stup1d." Whatever. I can do the same thing I can on a Moog for a fraction of the price on something else.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:50 pm

As much as I wanna scratch the New Toy itch, I'm gonna wait until NAMM comes around and see what else is waiting in the wings.

I know, I'm no fun. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:50 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Definitely poly. But we didn't even need a schematic to know this. It's being marketed as a poly, and I highly doubt Korg would lie about it.

Methinks thou dost disremember teh Poly 800. :grin: They most certainly advertised that thing as polyphonic.

But srsly, I'm glad you got one! I think you'll really like it.

But, as SW said earlier, if Korg would have published the complete specs (as he then did, thanks!), there'd be much less of this squabblage. But then, they probably want it, eh?

soundwave106 wrote:Let alone a powerhouse mono.

You think not? I was thinking it would serve quite well as a powerhouse mono. That unison mode...
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Also: We demand some clips from you, SI! :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:That unison mode...

Rite?

But, heaven forbid that it should Juno-106 "unison". :lol: Holy crapsticks, that was a horrible sound.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Looking at the panel (and that's explained in the youtube video I linked earlier) there's two "unison" modes - one is unison where the voices are not in tune with each other, and the other is mono where they are (and some are traded for sub-oscillators, I haven't heard how that sounds).
Unison mode should be :jam: :like: :kraftwerk: :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:26 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:That unison mode...

Rite?

But, heaven forbid that it should Juno-106 "unison". :lol: Holy crapsticks, that was a horrible sound.

Rite-O! When playing my Juno in unison, I find myself hoping for one of the voice chips to start acting up, just to break the monotony.*

The Sweetwater vid below shows the one unison mode being variable detuned with the big knob, kind of like an infinitely adjustable supersaw thingy. Which I don't hate.

Dat Unison Mode

One other beef, maybe... Can you pick your own chord mode, or are you saddled with their choices which seem to consist of the usual maj, min, 7th ect? Like teh Tribes.

*I made that up. I never ever play my 106 in unison mode. Yuk.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:44 am

Plink Floyd wrote:You think not? I was thinking it would serve quite well as a powerhouse mono. That unison mode...

Well, "depends what you mean". Something like a Moog Voyager or even a Sub 37 has more modulation control features than this does (and more LFOs, more complex envs, etc.).

Soundwise and features can be a different thing, though, yeah, and that unison mode is nice and thick. Both the mono modes sound rather beefy, and to me kind of make all those one osc desktop analog monos that were the fad a couple years ago seem... wimpy.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:34 am

Ya know, I never looked too srsly into the Sub 37, of which I just did. Just this bit from Keyboard Mag about portamento is boggling:

The Sub 37’s glide (portamento) features are extremely comprehensive. It can be applied independently to either oscillator—another huge plus for duophonic playing—and can be switched between three different modes: linear constant rate, linear constant time, and exponential. This allows for some really subtle fine-tuning of its behavior and will definitely appeal to finicky prog rock soloists. There are also switches for legato and gated functions, as well as a simple on/off switch, which is a lovely touch.

Holy parameters, that's some Serious Moonlight! :eek:

The other day when we were talking about teh Rockford Theme, I sat down to play it on my SX210, which has a nice, fully up to you chord memory unison type feature. I got the sound quite nicely, but I gave up after a bit because the weird legato fingering hoops you have to jump through just to get the glide to work right. Back in The Day I never had to worry about that, because Odyssey.

The Korgilogue does the old school mono-portamento mode. I think it will be all the analog lots of people will need.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:32 am

the best way to get the moog sound on a budget is a voyager rack imho. you run into a problem where the damn thing is almost too phat and doesn't play nice in a busy mix lol.

these days when i want that sound i use monark. now that its part of reaktor blocks a guy could make as many osc as the cpu can handle, polyphony, etc.

my go-to poly is still op-x pro II. both are mapped out on my novation sl37 for tweaking

if those aren't "analog" sounding enough the vsm-3 instantly does the job imho. its a multi-band mastering distortion unit and on the hi-fi preset it adds top 'sparkle' and mid-bass 'thickness'

i get why people work with hardware and this isn't about in or out of the box. still, the technology in the box and out of the box these days is amazing
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:47 am

yeah...Minimoogs can rule a mix. There's no question about that. I had made a few recordings of mine that were such powerful tracks that they dominated the tune. Then again, I used it in songs where it hanged out just like it's friends the Prophet10 and the Rhodes and everybody got along famously:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/456 ... Dreams.mp3

Did I ever tell you the story about how I got a Minimoog for $50 out of the garage of a Mexican Elvis impersonator? Well, I sold it to STG.

I guess I'm thinking about how price is in the eye of the beholder. Also, at the end of the day there will never be another instrument that is as big as the Minimoog. Never has there been a more profound misnomer in the industry.

You can pack a ton of junk in a baby poly, but there is a reason why some people keep going on about the classics; they were special.

I'd love to see somebody make the analog poly that I would really want for a price that "I" would find acceptable (hard as hell to do), but it won't have subminiature features.

Jeez...I keep thinking about that Roland Jp08 thingy. I have it...but I just can"t believe I don't care about it. It would be cool if I found out it was worth a damn. There's always hope. (Inside I do think it'll just hit the chopping block)

:idk:
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:29 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Also: We demand some clips from you, SI! :mad:

Possible. Remember how I was supposed to have clips of the JU-06?

Yea.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Methinks thou dost disremember teh Poly 800. :grin: They most certainly advertised that thing as polyphonic.

Yea, that's what they said on GS. I don't remember the Poly 800 because that happened when I was four, so I was likely unaware of Korg's marketing blunder.

Was there a public outcry over this?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 pm

What?!?! The poly 800 is polyphonic. :freak: It even has chord memory.. Did I miss something?! :lol:

I saw the sidechain in a write up and i went all

lol
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

PreviousNext

Return to KSS