Hey CR...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Hey CR...

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:32 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Was there a public outcry over this?

My vague recollections of that era suggest that in 1983-1984, "digital" was the big buzzword that people got excited about. :lol:

But I also got the impression that the Poly 800 wasn't terribly well received, buzzwords or not. I know they are different beasts in some ways, but for only a little more you could get a Juno. Judging by how many Junos I've seen floating around actually being played in bands, my impression is that synth was much better received as the "poor band's analog" even back in the day. Poly 800s I mainly saw in pawn shops.

To show how far electronics has come, the "list price" of the Korg Minilogue ($730) is under the 1983 list price of the Korg Poly 800 ($795) *before* inflation is taken into account. (Inflation calculator says $795 in 1983 dollars is $1900. Yikes.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Well, I just can't remember the last time I was this excited about any synth.

I can't wait to get my hands on this. FedEx says Tuesday. Ugh!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm

I had a mint AJ2 for a few months; it certainly was an odd duck. It was marketed and sold as more of a home organ or keyboard than anything, It even had holes for a wire music stand that you could put on top and I think it was sold as a package at one point with a wooden stand or something. Certainly more what you would expect out of something for piano lessons or to replace grandma's electric organ with.

I still think poly800's are cool, if you see them in their own right. The prevelant attitude around the synth buffs irritates me.. you know the old, it has to sound like a moog or arp, have ten times as many features and cost 1/3rd of the price, other wise it SUCKS :mad: :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:24 pm

tell you what though, the Moog Mother 32 is pretty cool too :cool:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:32 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Well, I just can't remember the last time I was this excited about any synth.

To me it just means that you didn't gel with the Roland, like Clav didn't gel with his.

Otherwise you'd have done something with it already.

Methinks Roland units are duds.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:39 pm

christianrock wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Well, I just can't remember the last time I was this excited about any synth.

To me it just means that you didn't gel with the Roland, like Clav didn't gel with his.

Otherwise you'd have done something with it already.

Methinks Roland units are duds.

Are you talking about the boutiques? Those guyz didn't like them? Come on dudes.. speak up :mad:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:43 pm

CR, no! I love the JU-06! I know I've been bad by not providing a demo, but the thing is awesome for $300. Really, it is. The ONLY gripe I have with it is lack of response to MIDI CCs. That's a pain in the ass, but it really does sound awesome, and I used it a lot this past Wednesday, in fact. It's really fun to play.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:22 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I had a mint AJ2 for a few months; it certainly was an odd duck. It was marketed and sold as more of a home organ or keyboard than anything, It even had holes for a wire music stand that you could put on top and I think it was sold as a package at one point with a wooden stand or something. Certainly more what you would expect out of something for piano lessons or to replace grandma's electric organ with.

I think that's more a sign of the times. Aside from the whole competing with those Lowry organ places I do think more people in synths back then had a traditional piano background back then (including sheet music reading skills). And some of them would want to play sheet stuff or charts or whatever.

The DX7 came with a music stand (as my first keyboard, a DX27S, did). Likewise the Juno 106's "home" model (Roland HS-60) had holes for a music stand.

That kind of stopped in the late 80s I think, my D-50 has no music stand holes for instance and I don't think any of the big 90s synths did.

Actually in a way it's a surprise that many of the 88 key weighted workstations never really had a built in music stand option of some sort. You can find music stands on arrangers, combo organs, and electric pianos after all even now.

In contrast, more people into pure synths these days are IMHO more modest in traditional piano skills, and are more programming oriented for EDM, hip hop, indie pop, etc. And that's fine. (Except, these folks are contributing to the shrinking size of synth keyboards, dammit. :mad: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Poly-800 was certainly polyphonic, HOWEVER it's filter was not. I haven't read anything about it recently, though, was that the beef was about?

Heck, even my Super Monster KX88 has holes for a music stand, if I recall, and it's only a controller! It's still in a box after our move. :grin:

For me: On the one hand, I do love me a good poly analog, because I like to play more than one note at a time. The current trend to baby keys doesn't endear me to them. On the other hand, I think if I really wanted to go mono analog now, a modular would be best. Yeah, maybe more expensive in the long run, but also FAR more flexible.

(Said the guy who hasn't turned on his synths in months.)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:43 pm

so if the filter is polyphonic, there's one per voice? I think I get the idea, although I'm not 100% sure what that does to the sound. I guess one per voice keeps it from sounding squashed and more "wide"?

I know the filter on the 800 was derided and compared to older "string" analogs.. it never bothered me though.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:52 pm

MetroSonus wrote:so if the filter is polyphonic, there's one per voice? I think I get the idea, although I'm not 100% sure what that does to the sound. I guess one per voice keeps it from sounding squashed and more "wide"?

I know the filter on the 800 was derided and compared to older "string" analogs.. it never bothered me though.

Yes.

Ok check it: Lets say you play a triad, one note at a time. The first note ON will activate the filter envelope. If there's a filter PER voice, then the second note ON will trigger a new filter envelope, in addition to the first note ON. With the third note ON, you guessed it!, another filter envelope triggers.

If there is only one filter for all voices, only the first note ON will trigger the filter envelope, and subsequent note ONs will not trigger additional envelopes/filters - it'll just be all one filter, one envelope.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm

The filter was "paraphonic", so all 8 (or 4) voices were mixed before hitting the filter. You won't notice if the filter isn't tracking the keyboard, but if it is, then if you first hold a low note and then add a high note, you'll hear the filter open up to match the high note. It makes it a poor pad machine, unless you're only doing block chords where you only play all notes at once.

Anyway. :lol: It was an odd bird, so I foisted it off on to some shlub who can't tell the difference.

.... your FACE.

:poek: :poek: :poek: :poek:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:57 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:so if the filter is polyphonic, there's one per voice? I think I get the idea, although I'm not 100% sure what that does to the sound. I guess one per voice keeps it from sounding squashed and more "wide"?

Yes.

Ok check it: Lets say you play a triad, one note at a time. The first note ON will activate the filter envelope. If there's a filter PER voice, then the second note ON will trigger a new filter envelope, in addition to the first note ON. With the third note ON, you guessed it!, another filter envelope triggers.

If there is only one filter for all voices, only the first note ON will trigger the filter envelope, and subsequent note ONs will not trigger additional envelopes/filters - it'll just be all one filter, one envelope.

Correctness, sir. Correctness. Now quit doing that "job" thing you do and go make me some tracks. :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:57 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:.... your FACE.

This is a proud moment for me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:58 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by selfinflikted on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:01 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:[ Now quit doing that "job" thing you do and go make me some tracks. :mad:

I know. I swear I have been productive lately, and have been synthing quite a bit. I have several riffs and licks I've gotten down, but turning them into something (expanding them into a proper song) has proven problematic.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:02 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:.... your FACE.

This is a proud moment for me.

"...And this year's Role Model of the Year goes to.... Columbia! No, wait, I mean SI! Tell him what he's won, Don!"

"A NEW INTERNET!!"

*crowd goes wild*
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:08 pm

On Christmas, Steve Harvey tweeted "Merry Easter!" /truestory.bro

And acording to an article I read somewhere which I'm too lazy to fact check, the Minilog is the first Korg Polyanalog with a keyboard since teh P800.

Also, maybe, the MonoPoly suffered from the same filter scrimpery. I remember considering that synth for purchase when it was new, but I thought it had a goofy name.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:21 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I don't remember the Poly 800 because that happened when I was four, so I was likely unaware of Korg's marketing blunder.

Was there a public outcry over this?

No, because no Gearslutz, because no innernetz. Only Keyboard Mag and Electronlc Musician Mag. And they didn't even have "Ye Olde Mailbag" like teh comix used to.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

I would just like to point out my Minilogue came in. It's awesome. Gonna go back to playing it now, that is all.
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to KSS