Hey CR...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Hey CR...

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:14 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I would just like to point out my Minilogue came in. It's awesome. Gonna go back to playing it now, that is all.

Awesum! Are ya havin fun playin with yer Logue?

No, sorry, that sounds wrong...

How do ya like yer Mini Log?

NO NO that's worse!!

So, whadya think...

Oh heck with it

YOUR FACE!!
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Gooby, pls.

I will give a tentative review:

This keyboard is awesome.

The mini keys don't suck, but they suck.

The joystick doesn't suck, but it sucks.

It sounds awesome. It sounds awesome. It is awesome.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 pm

:clap: I haz a happy for you! Makes me wanna get one myself, but I'ma hold out at least until after NAMM.

You know, you should get another one and have 8-voice embiggening. :eek:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:30 am

So, my review.

Build quality: 9/10

I nearly hate to say this, but it feels like an Apple device, it's so well made. The one caveat: the joystick feels like it would break easily if accidentally bumped. Aside from that, this thing is a tank. The knobs are grippy, feel tight, and each value setting seems to have a detent. The whole of the front panel is "sandblasted" aluminum and the rear end is wood. The bottom is plastic. I would've given a perfect score if not for the strange engineering on the joystick.

Keybed: 5.5/10

Not mini keys! Excellent! But they are "slim keys" - reportedly the same as on the MS-20 reissue. I'm not feeling these keys at all. My fingers barely fit between the black keys, and sometimes get stuck. The length of the keys is fine, the width is not. Definitely not a deal-breaker (you know I'll return a bitch in a heartbeat), but definitely not ideal. Playable, but not joyfully. The key action is surprisingly good, however. This is the saving grace here.

Features: 9/10

How much can you expect from a $500 analog polysynth? Well, according to Korg, a LOT. 2 VCOs per voice (4), wave shaping for each VCO, white noise generator, resonant analog filter, non-resonant analog highpass filter, Arp, step sequencer with four "tracks" of modulation recording, LFO, modulation joystick, "voice mode" option panel, cross modulation, ringmod and sync, external audio in, USB, digital delay.

A couple of things - the delay is noisy as hell. Not particularly usable unless maybe on a busy track. Further, a latch feature on the arp is notably missing.

Sound: 8/10

I am seriously nearly speechless. Nearly. I am so glad I waited to get a cheap first analog until now. I can't believe how good this thing sounds at this price point. The raw waveforms are delicious. The filter is good - it's not quite as "biting" as I was expecting. It's definitely not an MS-20 filter. The delay is "meh." The envelopes are snappy as hell though! Perhaps too snappy, but probably not. Great for percussion. For just about everything else, you'll have to bring that "0" attack setting up to at least a 2 to get rid of an audible click.

Overall: 8/10

I don't have a lot to compare this synth to. I've never had an analog synth, so I can only hold it up against the VAs I own/have owned. Having said that, this could be the best $500 I ever spent. This thing is a steal. Go buy one, now. NOW.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 am

Excellent review! It's been ever so long since I've been this tempted.

I knew I wouldn't like the keys, since I've already met the Mini20 & Kodyssey, but I'm disappointed to hear about the PB lever. Also missing is a mod lever/button/ribbon/knob/something! That surprises me, since Krog has historically been pleasantly innovative in the bendywobbleknob department. I always thought the simple little four way joystick on the much maligned Poly61 was one of the very best for live playing (although I still squint @ that Prophecy Roller-Barrel Thingmo).

But midi'd to slab of RealKeys™ with proper mod sticks of your choice, the Logue should be just dandy.

Now if only they'd offer it as a module. With two or four more voices.

Which begs this question: any chaining capability?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:49 am

Dang, man. Way to amp up the temptation! :grin: Sounds like Serious Funs (TM).
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:57 am

So, it doesn't sound like MS, eh? I wonder if it's Volca based...

I'm eager to see the schematic when it leaks.

What'd they do, bung in a whole processor for each voice? Well, they'e a nickel each now, so why not?
There might not even be any proprietary widgets in there. Cheap chip synths r teh future, my friends.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Pinky, no clue about polychaining. Honestly for me, 4 voices is enough. Would I like more just cuz? Sure. We are however taking about a $500 synth here. I still can't believe the value of this board.

The only good thing I can say about the bendywobbly lever is that basically anything on the panel can be assigned to it. Nearly the whole of the panel is CC'able, but why Korg did NOT use standard CC numbers I dunno. No control changes follow any "usual" standard, but hey, it's not that big a deal. At least it responds to CC (looking at YOU, Roland).
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:33 pm

Yeah, whoever took that photograph did not do a great job lighting the thing, but I *think* I can make out "M3" (maybe "FM3" which might be Spansion's Cortex M3 offering).

Cortex M3 is a platform and thus prices can vary, but yeah, the cheapest of the M3 style chips are like under a dollar each now. There's a good chance those 5 M3s are cheaper than the (now) $12 DSP chip used in the Microkorg / MS2000.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Previous

Return to KSS