Hey CR...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Hey CR...

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Do you still have that N5SR? Hows that treating you? Can you give me a quick run down on pros / cons?

I bumped into one again online.. got my gears turning and found and old HC thread you mentioned having one in.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Hey CR...

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:09 pm

No, I gave it to a friend of mine years ago...

It's a neat little box but I had the the N1R which has a better interface. And I ended up selling the N1R too... after I got Komplete. I like the sounds of it a lot. Of course not easy to tweak but the samples are surprisingly very good for their size. Not having a filter might be a problem for the kind of sounds you like to do, though, but you could use an external filter too... I think for you the TR Rack makes a lot more sense. But you had one of those and didn't keep it...

But if you just want one to play with, it's cheap enough. I just don't see how one would fit in a setup these days unless you're looking for those particular samples.

On an unrelated (mostly) note, I've been thinking of picking up an SH-201 again. I miss those knobs and sliders.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Selling the TR was one of those necessary at the time things.. :cry: Getting another is on the radar for sure, I really miss it.

I'm saving for an Electribe 2 music station thingy right now, but want another TR, the XV5050 and something over the TR but still in that classic "Korg" range. Do you think there's too much overlap between the TR and the N5?

What doesn't have a filter? Normally, what I do is just record into Live and then put effects and everything on there as needed.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:25 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Selling the TR was one of those necessary at the time things.. :cry: Getting another is on the radar for sure, I really miss it.

I'm saving for an Electribe 2 music station thingy right now, but want another TR, the XV5050 and something over the TR but still in that classic "Korg" range. Do you think there's too much overlap between the TR and the N5?

What doesn't have a filter? Normally, what I do is just record into Live and then put effects and everything on there as needed.

The entire range of Korg synths (AI and AI2) before the Trinity/TR Rack didn't have a filter. If that's not an issue for you, then by all means get a cheap one. The sound engine, I think, is very good. But it might overlap with the TR... I think the TR will also have better effects.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:34 pm

Maybe i'm getting the order confused... Didn't Korg put out a N "LE" version in the late 90's? I forget the designation, but that's probably why I'm getting confused.. I think it's the N5 or N5ex i'm thinking of.. Weird that they had the N364, the N5SR and then the N5 keyboard with the Trinity / TR in the middle. I guess they tried to get their money out of it.. the N364 is still popular..

Yea I may back burner it for now though, just until I get back on my feet. Having a part, part time job now doesn't hurt :)
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:35 pm

You got a new part time job? I might look into one, mostly because I'm 45 and don't have hardly any retirement savings.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Yea, Been working the last year, 1-2 Saturdays a month down at the airsoft field. It was kind of going down hill due to some unstable management, but they got that part worked out. I offered to pitch in and work to get the games stable and teach the other kids how to referee and stuff. Nobody there knew anything about the guns or equipment either.. so i help with that too. It pays well for the day, I get to work with dads, teenagers etc.. it's fun and gets me my mad money. :grin: so my wife doesn't complain.

Otherwise, I got lucky.. really lucky. I've got a state pension and way back I also elected to take out my own 401; so I've been putting into both for almost 20 years now. I would put whatever you can into something pretax or look at getting into the government somehow. 10 years is enough to put in..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Yeah I started my 401K pretty late, just some 3 years ago or so, because I always had credit card debt and was always living paycheck to paycheck... very unwise. My wife keeps tabs on my spending habits, and while I'd like to complain about it, I know it's the best thing for us.

She has a part time with a google ad provider, working from home. But lately there hasn't been much work so I should look for something else.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:24 pm

christianrock wrote: mostly because I'm 45

:pfft:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote: mostly because I'm 45

:pfft:

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:45 pm

:thu:

Take THAT, whippersnapper.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Ugh. Feeling a bit older today, for sure. :sad: THANKS FOR THE REMINDER OF MY MORTALITY, YOU SOUTHERN KNOB TWIDDLER
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:31 pm

anybody else remember when this forum used to be about synths?!?!

:lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:42 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Ugh. Feeling a bit older today, for sure. :sad: THANKS FOR THE REMINDER OF MY MORTALITY, YOU SOUTHERN KNOB TWIDDLER

I'm here for ya, man. :drink:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:42 pm

MetroSonus wrote:anybody else remember when this forum used to be about synths?!?!

There's a forum?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Synths?

Synths, you say...?

:grin:

Yeah, I didn't have that one. therefore MOCKERY AND DERISION FOR EVERYONE
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:34 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Image

anybody else remember when this forum used to be about synths?!?!

I don't think this forum was ever about synths

I think that was the other forum
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Speaking of synths. The Odyssey reviews are pretty good.
Last edited by christianrock on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:01 pm

selfinflikted wrote:There's a forum?

What's a forum?

Isn't Internet that thingy where you waste time disclosing your personal habits to your social media Facebook Reddit Twitter Youtube etc etc. overlords?

:like:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Speakin of Korg analogs.... I heard a rumor that Korg is gonna announce a poly analog....?

Anyone?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to KSS