LinnStrument

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

LinnStrument

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:14 am

This thing deserves it's own thread. I really really really really want one.

But this video illustrates a concern I've had from the beginning: how tough would it be to adapt my chord and piano type chops? Yes, I know it can be argued that an isomorphic grid layered in fourths like a fretboard may ultimately be the best layout. But should this worry me, who can't play guitar for sucks?

Look at this:

Maaan, that gives me a headache. Do I really want to learn a whole new thing?

The guy in the video does very well but I suspect he's more comfortable playing guitar. I know he chords and plays lead stuff on 6 string bass, but I can't find any evidence that he has traditional keyboard skills.

I think monophonic parts like leads, bass, violin, sax ext. would be reasonably easy to grasp. But I'm afraid my polyphonic qualms might downgrade my LinnGAS to merely the really³ want level.
Plink Floyd

Re: LinnStrument

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Last edited by ClavAnother on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Personally, I personally found that Linnstrument "plays" more like a guitar than a piano for what it's worth. :idk:

And even then, it's all 4ths. So some of the traditional "cowboy" guitar chord fingerings don't apply. (No open strings, for a start).

The plus side is that it's similar to all fourths tuning for a guitar. You learn one chord pattern, and you can just move it around. So basically, instead of that confusing thing, I'd look at an all 4ths guitar chord document like say this and apply it to the Linnstrument.

As it is, since I haven't taken the time to dive into this stuff, I don't do too much chord stuff with the Linnstrument at this time.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:15 am

I understand how this thing might appeal to anyone who's not me, but Me can't say that Me has much interest in these kinds of WEIRD-ASS FINGER BUTTON WHOZITS.

But that's just me. :wave:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:48 am

soundwave106 wrote:And even then, it's all 4ths. So some of the traditional "cowboy" guitar chord fingerings don't apply. (No open strings, for a start).
But you can set the intervals however you want, rite? And yeah, the open string thing poses another challenge, at least to the guitar player mindset. At least that's something a key player wouldn't have to unlearn.

soundwave106 wrote:instead of that confusing thing, I'd look at an all 4ths guitar chord document like say this and apply it to the Linnstrument.
That's a good article. Among other things, it answers a question I've long had: why is a guitar tuned the weird way it is?

Short answer: barre chords.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:But you can set the intervals however you want, rite?

Kind of, there is several possible settings, that's something maybe I should try. Intervals can be either +3-+7 semitones (default is +5, or 4ths), or octaves, or "guitar" (top six strings are standard guitar tuning), or "no overlap" (each row continues at the spot the previous ended at).

Or you can dip into the source code and do it HOWEVER YOU WANT. :jam:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:41 am

i totally suxors at guitars lol

i played bass for like 6 months in a metal band and started to improve after a while but i figure the linnstrument is the same idea:

hack it out for 6 months and gradually get better :idk:

i def liked the idea of a linnstrument and a laptop as a very portable rig for travelling and i really like the idea of doing solos with it in multi-axises

my biggest fear when i was considering getting one was that i just wouldn't use it enough and never really improve and make use of it
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 pm

I don't think I could do it. And I play guitar.

Also, $1,500.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Return to KSS