Win 10

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Win 10

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:46 am

So, has anyone jumped into it yet? I keep getting the nag screen telling me to pull the trigger on the free upgrade, but here's the thing:

I has a scared. A very big one.

:eek:
Plink Floyd

Re: Win 10

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 pm

my son keeps asking me too and I'm like no.. I don't see why not though. His computer runs like crap. The age old the longer you run windows the worse it gets thing :cry: I seriously don't know what's up with that. That's why I like my mac. I will say with OS upgrades it loads slower, but I've noticed no lag in normal usage.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm running Win 10. No problems. Everything worked.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 pm

there's a lengthy thread over at gs i that casually perused for DAW-related-win-10 infos

there are sum plug-ins that could break like native instruments and/or pro tools ?

the same can be true of mac updates. i have 2 computers where one can be the guinea pig. other times i wait until the dust settles and a .1 version is available

depends on how badly you need your music rig and if u have time to break/fix stuff :idk:
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm currently holding off, still on Windows 7. Windows 8 was such a debacle IMHO that I awaits and sees.

As far as Windows performance, IMHO 7 is pretty good at not slowing down by itself (all 3 of my Windows machines run quite nice). Nonetheless my opinion is that it is still far too easy to load crapware onto it, which may eventually kills the performance. At the very least it's good to look at the OS startup lists etc. every once in a while.

(My work PC is a testament to this, in a bit of a different way. It takes 5 minutes to load, and 5 minutes to settle down to the point where you can open Chrome, due to the various encryptions, IT management tools, and other bullshit that you get in a typical corporate environment.)

Mac seems to be better at keeping the crapware out of their system (for now) and for most people this will be a big benefit.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 am

Hm. As expected, a variety of learned responses. Appraisals run the gamut.

So I think, given the fact that my Win7 is working fine for now, I'll wait. But, as I understand it, MS will leave the free upgrade window open for only so long, and then it will be crunch time.

I suppose I'll upgrade then, because sooner or later older apps start becoming incompatible & it would pizz me if I missed the deadline & had to pay.

What do we know for certain about Win10, though? Why is it free now? Isn't it eventually going to become some sort of pay by the month scam? Will it work with my old MOTU interfaces?

Won't somebody please think of the cheapskates?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:59 am

I have no idea if it'll be free FOREVER or what. But my RME doesn't didn't even bat an eye, and Sonar's working fine. ALL IS WELL, CITIZENS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:00 am

Well I've been nosing around and OMG DIDN'T U NOTICE THAT SOLITARE IS NO LONGER TEH FREE IT'S FULL OF NAGGWARE TO MAKE U UPGRADE TO PREMIUM MODE OMGOMGHOLYSIHT!!

Srsly. And the OS upgrades are free (if you're eligible) till July 29 2016. But I think it's pretty certain it will become subsriptionware a few years after that, complete with horrible nagging until you give in.

I won't take it. This pay forever model is crap. If I'm prepared to give up something I really like, such as SONAR, I'll sure as hell kick MS to the curb.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:07 pm

We're not gonna take it.
No! We ain't gonna take it.
We're not gonna take it anymore.

/twisted sister
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:19 pm

lol at age-centric references. See, I would have said

(beat) We're not gonna ta-ake it! Never did and never will!
We're not gonna ta-ake it!
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it
Let's forget it better still!
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:50 pm

In modern lyrical terms:

Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Naw we ain't take it
Yeah
yeah
yeah
yeah
we ain't take it

Dear RIAA: Please feel free to send me my Grammy at any time, kthx
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 am

here's a comparison of my 2 year old macbook pro vs the microsoft surface book

"ultimate performance"

gregwar

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm

gregwar wrote:here's a comparison of my 2 year old macbook pro vs the microsoft surface book

"ultimate performance"

Wait, which one is which?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:46 am

The one on the right is the Mac, since it says "First Seen on the Chart" in "Q2 2013". But, why compare a 2 core machine to a four banger? And the Surfbook uses ONE THIRD TEH POWER!

SAVE TEH WHALES MAN!!!
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:19 pm

well plink that is the maxed out surface book variant with a 4 core i7 at $2600. it does roughly half of what my "old" macbook pro (late 2013 model) can do with a 2.3g i7

i had the same issues with the original macbook air in 2008 for $1800. it was useless but 2 pounds lighter ! the new retina macbook is in a similar situation. at least it has usb type c but its a 2 core (not a 4 core) and has slightly less performance than the surface book

i applaud apple, microsoft, lg, toshiba, dell, etc on making this incredibly thin and light notebooks. the fact the microsoft one can detach and be useful as a tablet is amazing. its just way too expensive when i can get an iPad pro for $800

as for running 'full desktop software' i just think these apps are getting too demanding for an ultra book tablet 2 in 1. i was messing around with dune 2 the other day, adding extra osc and was way in the red with my cpu ! but it sounded great lol
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:40 pm

its also amazing that new skylake chips are starting to trickle out. the new 27" iMac looks like a beast and comes with a 5k display ! maxed out it smokes the quad core mac pro and is pretty much on par with the 6 core mac pro.

the cpu is $370 in america at newegg: http://bit.ly/1Rd6HY6

i guess i'm just a little disappointed that the focus is always on small/thin consumer stuff and the higher end, more powerful i7 chips are being pushed back by intel. i'm excited to see the new 6 core and 8 core variants of the skylake processors in 2016.
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Yeah, I don't see how MS justifies that pricing, except maybe they're trading on the gimmick factor, or the "oh man I gotta haz teh latest thing" factor.

To me, touch screen tech just isn't there yet. And even when it is, it won't be as good as physical, tactile qwertys and buttons and sliders. It's best relegated to applications where portability and cost are the greatest concerns.

But again, that's just me.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 am

I dunno, Plink. I was just commenting on Facebook the other day that, were it not for the "beef" I need from my aging desktop for music production, I believe my iPads have usurped all need in my household for a desktop. When my Dell desktop I keep in the gameroom finally dies, I do not think I will be replacing it. iPad Air 2's for Christmas this year to replace our aging first gen minis. Will still keep the minis for travel and the occasional Facebook browsing, but I can't think of anything in our typical home use, again, aside from music stuffs, that I can't do on the iPad.

It's the future. The future is now.

NAO.

On second thought, I do think I would replace the gameroom desktop with a MacBook, though. Yea.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:17 pm

From what I see, the desktop PC has its biggest future in power applications. Most people don't really need power applications, though, as you said. Don't need lots of CPU to surf the web. Most people would also probably benefit from "more restrictive ecosystems". I think tactile keyboards are best too, but the Blackberry lost that battle, so clearly I'm in the minority.

IMHO the PC box market will be relegated to hardcore gamers and/or high-intensity work or hobbies (CAD, coding, graphics and video editing, music, etc.). A quasi-category in this regard will be servers -- not just techy stuff like web servers etc., there is already an enthusiast market for home theater PCs and media servers and I see this as another "power user" option. (Regular users will just stream.)

This is a bigger category than most people think so I think the "PC is dead" people overstate their case. It's possible to do some of this on a powerful "professional class" laptop with a docking station, but laptops are not as easy to repair, and tend not to be as powerful or have as many ports etc. as the best PCs. (I code on a laptop / docking station at work. I don't like it much.)

It's even possible to do some of the basics of this with an iPad -- heck, there certainly are DAWs and video editing programs for iOS. Nothing that I know of, however, that's powerful enough to run CPU-choking plugins like Diva or has enough space to handle that 40GB Kontakt libary install.

Of course, in the future, that could change. :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:54 am

I'm not saying Tablets aren't good for lots of things. And their interfaces will only get better. I admit I would despair if they took my Kindle reader (but it's not touch screen).

My biggest beef is this: on a mechanical keyboard I can type 60~70 wpm. I'll bet not many are doing that with their thumble tablets.

From work I have iPad Air & iFone. The fam has the Latest Expensive Galaxies. When I'm doing anything with them, at least one out of twenty times, when I push a button IT DOESN'T WORK! No one would put up with that from a regular keyboard. I say that the actual performance of the touch screen interface itself is still crappy.

If I'm in a stationary situation anyway, such as my DAW, office, or even posting a couple paragraphs to this place, I demand a qwerty. I shall not be moved.
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to KSS