Roland Boutique

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland Boutique

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:32 pm

I still haven't given Ben the go ahead to pull the trigger on the JU today. He's asked, a couple of times though.

I guess since I haven't, that means I'm not chomping at the bits for one, which means I can probably live without and can probably think of something else I want for Xmas more.

I am probably buying us both current gen iPads (can't afford Pro's), and something fun for him for Xmas. But I'm having lots of trouble deciding about this teentsy weentsy sound module.

First world problems, you guys.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 pm

There's stuff out there like a bass station II, you know.

You don't really know what an analog will do for your basses until you own one.

And there's the JD-Xi which has that, plus a bunch more stuff including the type of Roland sounds you are looking for.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 pm

I think SI really just wants an actual Juno. :grin: eBay, dude!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:40 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think SI really just wants an actual Juno. :grin: eBay, dude!

Indeed.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:13 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think SI really just wants an actual Juno.

This. This is true.

I have decided against a Tiny Boutique Item.

Also. I was at the local GC Wednesday burning some time while my electricity was out (they were servicing some lines along the road) and got to try out a JD-Xi. It sucked.

Like, bad.

The only decent part was the analog bit, I'll give it that.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 pm

christianrock wrote:There's stuff out there like a bass station II, you know.

This is also true. And I have wanted one for a while.

I just... dunno. I mean, I will likely choose something synthy for Christmas this year, but I have no idea what to get. There are so many choices for Santa's price range.

I DO know that we are getting current gen iPad Air 2's (would like Pro's, but they're just too expensive) and the new revision of the Apple TV. Beyond that, I know Ben wants DVD's/Blurays and I dunno what else.

So I just have to decide on something synthy.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 pm

christianrock wrote:You don't really know what an analog will do for your basses until you own one.

Moog last week announced yet another entry in the tiny desktop analog category, the Mother-32. It's kind of funny how crowded that market is these days. (The large number of patch points is the big advantage of the Mother-32, it's very modular friendly. That and $600 is "slightly less" than Moog's normal inflated price. :lol: )

The relatively affordable real poly analog, unfortunately, is elusive. DSI's pretty much got the non-*actual* boutique market to himself (unless you count the Roland JD-XI, which hasn't seem to taken off all that well). The Prophet 6 definitely is a lovely synth...

I think the polyphony count in the Boutique would've put me off... 4 is not enough for me. The 6 that the actual Juno 106 has is about what I consider a good minimum. If you don't play piano and aren't used to two-handing things or are doing sequenced basslines and leads are something, you may not care, but back when I had one (*long* time ago) one of my favorite things about the Juno was the nice, simple poly pads it could make.

(Of course, most VAs in the Roland Boutique price range are 4 voice poly...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:25 pm

Which is stupid to me anyway, Soundwave. You cannot tell me that polyphony of a VA affects pricing in the same amount that polyphony affects pricing of analog gear. I agree, 4 voice is too low, and I can't imagine another paltry 2 voices would've HAD to increase the price much.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:00 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:I think SI really just wants an actual Juno.

This. This is true.

I have decided against a Tiny Boutique Item.

Also. I was at the local GC Wednesday burning some time while my electricity was out (they were servicing some lines along the road) and got to try out a JD-Xi. It sucked.

Like, bad.

The only decent part was the analog bit, I'll give it that.

Well that's disappointing. That was actually on my radar.

What was so bad about it?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:51 pm

You can't adjust, separately, the A D S and R of the envelope(s). WTF. At least not from the front panel. I'm not sure about what you can do via software editor, though. I mean, REALLY? It was this weird knob you turn through several "preset" envelopes.

I don't have to explain, but as we all know, envelopes are one of the MAIN sound-shaping tools on a synth, and this is just unforgivable. At least to me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:54 pm

wow, really? That's like bizarro. :freak:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:12 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Which is stupid to me anyway, Soundwave. You cannot tell me that polyphony of a VA affects pricing in the same amount that polyphony affects pricing of analog gear. I agree, 4 voice is too low, and I can't imagine another paltry 2 voices would've HAD to increase the price much.

The Novation Mininova uses an "adaptive" voice routine ("up to 18 voices") and I am not sure why more manufacturers don't do that. DSP coding is not like a circuit, if you aren't using a feature it's not going to take up cycles and you should be able to squeeze more voices out of it.I guess many hardware VAs simply test for the worst case scenario, and set that as their voice count so there's never such a thing as a glitch (as you can get in the software VST world).

Per the Google the Roland System 1 was built off of two custom DSP chips (Roland ESC2) that Roland uses in a lot of products; I assume that similar technology is in play for the Boutique. I guess these algorithms are pretty processor heavy. Adding more polyphony probably means another DSP chip, which I can't see costing *that* much more but I can see causing issues with battery life and maybe some things I'm not aware of. Still doesn't look good to have your "emulation" have less voices than the "old tech" you are emulating, in my opinion.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:39 pm

ya the system 1 has a polyphony of 4 voices as well

i tried the keyed of the system 1 and was surprised at how bad it was :facepalm:

for $600 i guess they had to make some trade offs but it was especially bad considering i played a moog sub 37 5 seconds before. any place that sells synths will have multiple keybeds to try out ?! lol

i've been looking into the system 1m modular rack thing. i think the cv in/out only turns on when its in mono mode. is this strange ? like a dsp related explanation ?

the system 1m is $600 and would be awesome if i had more modular gear. the plug-out synths are amazing sounding and i really want to try the new system 100 emulation

its still kind of amazing that you could get both a jp-08 *and* system 1m for $1000 :eek: this is likely cheaper than any 1 of the vintage synths they're modelling with an sh 101, sh2, promars and now the system 100 !!

:jam:
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:15 am

Oh, and:

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 am

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't know if it's the youtube sound or conversion but these sound very much like run-of-the-mill soft synths to me.

I'd take the OP-X soft synth over these... (its Jupiter-8 bank sound demo I heard sounds better to me...)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Definitely not run-of-the-mill.

You should listen to Kraft Music demo'ing a JU-06 side by side with a Juno 106. It's scary close. SCARY. (they also demo'd one other side-by-side, but I was uninterested, so I can't remember which one).

If I can't have a REAL Juno, this is definitely the next best thing. Since people started getting them in their hands last week, I haven't read one negative about the sounds from any of them. Lots of complaints about mini keys, toys, etc etc. But nothing about the sound.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:32 pm

The JP08 has a good sound.. sucks that it's only 4 voice.. but it's better IMHO than the arturia JP8V. I"m not saying it cant' be done, and I still don't think this gets it 100%, but this kind of sound from the chip synths is not represented in any way in VSTS. there's a brassy whine they all seem to do and I haven't heard it in any VST yet and the jp08 gets into that territory.

I'll say from using the system 100, it has a sound others lack. Is it the end all and be all? No... but it has a broad pallet, much louder and clearer lows and highs. If they put these into VST / plug out, I wouldn't complain.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:16 pm

MetroSonus wrote:The JP08 has a good sound.. sucks that it's only 4 voice.. but it's better IMHO than the arturia JP8V. I"m not saying it cant' be done, and I still don't think this gets it 100%, but this kind of sound from the chip synths is not represented in any way in VSTS. there's a brassy whine they all seem to do and I haven't heard it in any VST yet and the jp08 gets into that territory.

I'll say from using the system 100, it has a sound others lack. Is it the end all and be all? No... but it has a broad pallet, much louder and clearer lows and highs. If they put these into VST / plug out, I wouldn't complain.

Yes.

Again, these Boutique synths are not without complaints. The power supply issue, the minikeys, the micro inputs/outputs, - all the things I mentioned before. But the sound sold me. There are a couple of brand new demos up. They sound really good.

This will be the next best thing to actually having a 106 of my own. And for $300, I won't complain. (until I actually get it, and find something to complain about)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 pm

I can't wait to hear your first impressions :thu:

Some excitement in the treehouse!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to KSS