Roland Boutique

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland Boutique

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:17 pm

MetroSonus wrote::idk: they may or may not give you some kind of break out cable. I've had a few devices like that that only use mini everything and you get a break out in the box. if not you can buy a stereo 5/8th to dual 1/4

This is true, but it's just not ideal. Hell. Lots about these are not ideal: 4 voice, mini-key option, small jacks, etc.

But the sound. For the price I just can't even. I definitely want.

Also, these are limited run, only ONE run production.

I wonder if I should pre-order. I feel GAS building.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 pm

i'm impressed !

the form factor is kind of balls, but i like the idea of not needing to have mini keys. i just kinda wish they were about the size of my ReMOTE SL mk1 37

the jupiter one sounds crazy. i has teh gas

also, i had no idea the jx was such a dope synth :facepalm:

also, also, they're pretty much in plugin-price territory. for an extra $100 you get a full tactile control over them without f***ing around with automap :wave:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Yea if it's limited edition, either they'll come out down the line again as VSTs, some sort of spinoff tech or another run will be done.

I just can't see someone developing code for all that and then just making it a short run... you know people would kill for those again, even in emulated form. :snax:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Yea, but for me personally, I don't do the VST thing. Hm. Decisions.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:34 pm

nah I'm just speculating..
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 pm

You're probably right, though. I just would hate to miss a potential one and only hardware version. It's too good to pass up at $300. Ugh. Ben is going to kill me. I am thinking I should call Stu at Sweetwater and reserve my order today.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:46 pm

i think i like the filter sound better than my mks-80 'super jupiter' ! granted, its been a few years and i've been mainly using plug-ins since

the knobs on the mpg-80 controller went over sysex or something so it wasn't quite as immediate as the jp-08. it had a weird cable and everything, classic roland

back in 2008 or 09 i paid around $2000 for the mks-80 with the controller. these little modules are a steal !

the mks-80 and mpg-80 are around $3500-4000 now on ebay and a jupiter 8 is like $8500+ lol

i don't image these will hurt the vintage market the same way ms-20 mini did. collectors willing to pay top dollar for museum pieces will always be around.

hopefully this help a lot of people who want to techno but simply can't afford the insane cost of vintage gear these days :jam:
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:16 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Yea if it's limited edition, either they'll come out down the line again as VSTs, some sort of spinoff tech or another run will be done.

I just can't see someone developing code for all that and then just making it a short run... you know people would kill for those again, even in emulated form. :snax:

It's probably code that already resides in their synths like the new Jupiters and the Integra. There's probably already emulations of these synths (and others) in there. They just created an interface for them, that's my guess.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:28 pm

the jupiter 80 and integra have 'supernatural' tech that was first started around the fantom g era. i have the super natural drum and brass expansion for the fantom g8, and the max ram :grin:

an earlier version of this is likely the AP synthesis in the v-synth gt. the interfaces and sounds are really different. for example the flute in the v-synth gt has 'breathy' parameters

the boutique type of modelling is more like the aria group with ACB (analog component behaviour) but i'm not sure what the actual coding differences are

the COSM (composite object sound modelling) in the v-synth seems to be more similar to ACB on the surface, except the VA section of the v-synth didn't sound as good as the aria and now boutique ones

ACRONYMS !1
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm

gregwar wrote:the boutique type of modelling is more like the aria group with ACB (analog component behaviour)

This. Between the boutiques and the AIRAs, I'm thinking that Roland is sorta on top of the competition where VA tech is concerned. I need to listen to more demos of the boutiques, but there aren't any more to be found at present.

Curses.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:13 pm

:wink:

christianrock wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:Yea if it's limited edition, either they'll come out down the line again as VSTs, some sort of spinoff tech or another run will be done.

It's probably code that already resides in their synths like the new Jupiters and the Integra. There's probably already emulations of these synths (and others) in there. They just created an interface for them, that's my guess.

That'd be the flip side... Absolutely correct.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:20 pm

So.. Ben pre-ordered me a JU-06 today.

Or, ordered it. They don't ship till mid-month or some junk. But I ain't gonna open it until Xmas because it is a Xmas gift.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 pm

YAY!! :clap: I demand demos!!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:36 am

Guys. It was lies.

"You seemed so unsure whether you wanted it or not, I figured I'd give you another night to sleep on it."

He knows me, you guys. I'm trying to decide now if I actually DO want.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 am

Oh FFS! :lol: How am I supposed to GAS vicariously through you if you don't actually commit??

C'mon man, it's just one wafer-thin^H^H^H^H^H^H^H one more synth, you can do it!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:09 am

selfinflikted wrote:Guys. It was lies.

Tune in next time for another turgid episode of Days of our Lies.

[bigorganchord.mp3]

[soapcommercial]
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:24 am

Well, as far as I knew at the time of posting, he'd ordered it. But then when we got home and were eating supper last evening, he said he hadn't yet.

I don't even know what's real anymore.

But he said he'd order it today.

I will update later, when I can confirm.

Sorry for the wishy-washy, EP.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 pm

foiled by your own devices

MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Foist by his own Piccard.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:21 pm

"were gonna go with picard's flute from star trek".

MetroSonus

PreviousNext

Return to KSS