Roland Boutique

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland Boutique

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:48 am

I just listened to a couple Volca demos for the first time. I haz a pleasant surprise. One or two of those with a good key controller would be pretty good kit, I think.

The JP-08 thing, idunno... First, how can they call it "8" when it's just a "4"? I guess they think that's OK because you can chain two of them together for eight voices. But twelve inches wide? I guess nobody racks anything anymore. :mad:

I won't even acknowledge the so-called "keyboard". Such a thing should not be suffered to exist.

For half again as much, I'd rather have the System-1m: still four voices, 19", lot's more controls, and probably much better sound, since it has 96 KHz audio vs the Jupe's 44.1 kHz. And Ima do everything in 96K nao, just because I can.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Oh Plink, you're just being grumpy.

No, I actually agree with you :lol:

To my mind, there's no need for this. Roland is trying to break into Korg's "cool little toys" market I guess. Let's see if it sticks...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:14 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Actually, I'm thinking that if I had that purpose-built Diva control surface (forgot where I saw that now), that I'd pretty much have all the analogness I could want. Diva's really quite good.

http://www.synth-project.de/diva.html

It actually depends on the price I guess and sound of course. The bad thing to me (sort of) is that the JP8 is only 4 voice. However you can buy just the synth without the keys as a module and daisy chain them for more voices. Depends really.

I don't think anyone with a full synth setup is going to buy these, unless they like spending money just for ha has. I think these synths all fit into the microkorg niche, fun, small, cute, relatively inexpensive (i hope).
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:19 pm

christianrock wrote:The Volca Keys sells for about 160 and has 3 analog voices. Did Korg find out a way to do analog cheaper than others?

These days, I think the issue with analog is less expense per se (chips are cheap and tiny and tolerances are better than ever) and more attracting the talent. An analog poly design needs cross-discipline skills (mixed signal engineering, eg an analog section and a digital section for control, along with coding for parameters, OS, tuning, etc.).

Still, an analog at Microkorg prices would be tough. And I guess this is the aim for the Reface and Boutique.

But I'm not sure why the other hardware synth manufacturers are flooding the market with these synths, though, most of the Korg Micro line came and went relatively fast. :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 pm

so 399$ for the jp8 and 299$ for the other two? check the front page and see how small they are... :mad: :samsh: :horse:

hell no. Sorry, but these are toys. Built in speaker, batteries, the size of a playskool piano? Forget it.

I do figure they'll release the VST / Plugout later. but who knows.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:14 pm

$299 for the JU-06 that sounds remarkably close to a real Juno-106?

SIGN ME UP.

I'll order just the module, sans keyboard. This thing actually sounds amazing - dare I say - AMAZEBALLS.

I disagree completely on the "toys" comment. Yes they are small. But they don't sound like toys at all. No, sir.

They actually do a couple of side-by-side comparisons.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:52 pm

I'll give you that, they do sound pretty cool. I never say never even though my gear acquisitions have ground to a halt. Of course, I'll wait to the price drop and to see if they are released as VSTs, if ever.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:05 pm

My only gripe: I just with they were rackable.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:37 pm

I think racks have become passe, fren. "desktop" is where it's at now.

get with the teims, old man
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I'll give you that, they do sound pretty cool. I never say never even though my gear acquisitions have ground to a halt. Of course, I'll wait to the price drop and to see if they are released as VSTs, if ever.

But isn't the interface the whole point of this.

If you just want a VST that sounds good, there's plenty out there.

ElectricPuppy wrote:get with the teims, old man

NEVER

Last edited by christianrock on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:31 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think racks have become passe, fren. "desktop" is where it's at now.

But but but. Racks are so much more... satisfying to someone as anal as me. Desktop modules are just loose and sitting there. I need them in a nice, neat container. LIKE A RACK.

But for real. Have you guys listened to the demo? Those things actually sound nice. I hate I hated on them before.

Mike's wish list:

-Yamaha Reface DX

-Roland JU-06

Seriously want both of these items.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:40 pm

christianrock wrote:NEVER

I see a great future for this meme. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:41 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:I think racks have become passe, fren. "desktop" is where it's at now.

But but but. Racks are so much more... satisfying to someone as anal as me. Desktop modules are just loose and sitting there. I need them in a nice, neat container. LIKE A RACK.

But for real. Have you guys listened to the demo? Those things actually sound nice.

Mike's wish list:

-Yamaha Reface DX

-Roland JU-06

Seriously want both of these items.

Perhaps Sandy Claws will bring you one of these, hmmmm? :grin: I'm kinda "not sure if want" over the JP.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:42 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Perhaps Sandy Claws will bring you one of these, hmmmm? :grin: I'm kinda "not sure if want" over the JP.

I'm considering the JP, too honestly. But you know I already have a boner for the 106, and I suppose the JU-06 is the next best thing, and it's $300 for crying out loud! Now, if only the reface were that cheap...

(May not have to ask Sandy. I has TWO bonus checks coming this month or next, so... hm.)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I may be a bit less excited.. Am I noticing a total lack of 1/4" jacks on the rear of the boutiques? It looks like 3.5mm out? And, not even separate stereo outs?

ETA: Definitely only 1 stereo out "mini" jack. I guess "mini" equates to 3.5mm? I dunno.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I only see a single "output" on the back of the JU. Do you suppose it's TRS stereo? Because (IMHO) all the magic of the Juno comes from the built-in chorus, which provided stereo output. If the output jack isn't stereo, maybe the USB audio is?

I dunno.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:54 pm

From le web site:

PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
OUTPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
INPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
USB port: MicroB type (Audio, MIDI)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:54 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
christianrock wrote:NEVER

I see a great future for this meme. :lol:

this pleases me

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Is't owls all the way down, isn't it? :lol:

:smoke:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:08 pm

:idk: they may or may not give you some kind of break out cable. I've had a few devices like that that only use mini everything and you get a break out in the box. if not you can buy a stereo 5/8th to dual 1/4
MetroSonus

PreviousNext

Return to KSS