Roland Boutique

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland Boutique

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:39 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:a D50 for $350

Roland D-50 "stage piano" LOL (not for $350 so that was probably somewhere else)
It was there, but someone musta bought it today. It was probably only $treefiddy because it wasn't the Stage Piano model.

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:$treefiddy

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Also, Sweetwater received more JU-06's yesterday, so mine shipped out. Also Also, they are AGAIN OUT OF STOCK THIS MORNING.

I mean, they must be getting like, 2 of these at a time. Thankfully, mine should be here perhats Saturday.

Demo incoming probably next week!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:52 pm

350$$$ ?!?!?! smack dat.. woah oh!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:06 am

nice1 SI !!
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 am

MetroSonus wrote:350$$$ ?!?!?! smack dat.. woah oh!

If it had been a D-fyefiddy, I probably woulda. A PG-1000 would be a cool thing to have, bit I'd probably make do with a software editor before I paid big bux for an almost thirty year old knobby box that only fits one synth.

Supposedly teh Behr BCR2000 plays nicely with them. I'd like to try one of those sometime...
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:52 am

GC actually seems to be underpricing the D-50s judging from what they go on Ebay. I can see why, they do some awesome spacey paddage if you program it right (and yeah, there are some good laptop editors for that).

As an added bonus, you can use the dated presets to get your Paula Abdul nostalgia on. Is there such a thing as too much MC Skat Cat? (Probably. :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:04 pm

soundwave106 wrote:As an added bonus, you can use the dated presets to get your Paula Abdul nostalgia on.

Confession: "Forever Your Girl" is one of my favorite 80's albums, BECAUSE of the cheesy synths.

As a reminder, I am gay, so your judgments mean NOTHING to me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:06 pm

i traded my roland tr-707 for a d550 back in '09 (after i sampled it)

i used midi quest 10 xl at the time to try to communicate with all my rack gear. there was a strange hand shake procedure that usually required a few tries

when it sync'ed tho it was really easy to adjust anything. la synthesis, with the tva and tvf aren't all that different from subtractive

i really liked the aliasing in lower octaves when you used pcm samples, plus the reverb & chorus were so bad that they were great lol
Last edited by gregwar on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Greg. Your avatar. The guy closest the "camera" looks like the guy that played in Best of the Best. What's it supposed to be?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 pm

ya its from the best of the best 2 poster

:cool:
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Shut up! I can't believe I actually got one right! (he was also in the first Best of the Best, also)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 pm

nailed it lol
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:26 pm

BotB 1 was playing last week and I caught most of it, I think on one of the movie channels. The part at the end where the Korean team handed over their medals to the U.S. team nearly brought a tear to my eye. I watched this movie so many times as a kid. Hell, I watched any karate or Kung fu movie I could get my hands on. I was in training to be a ninja, after all.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:36 am

I have no idea what this thread is about (don't watch tv), but I just ordered a JP-08. Maybe get it tuesday or something.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:38 am

Oh and I recently traded a broken TR-707 for an Alesis D4 and a MOTU Midi Time Piece to use with the Beatstep pro.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Man I barely remember that movie..

I hope Roland does a plug out d50, jp8000... They'd be crazy not to
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:43 pm

Clav, you'll probably like the boutique.

Here are my criticisms of the JU-06 so far:

1) Serious lack of MIDI implementation. The unit responds to like, 3 MIDI CCs. Filter modulation not being one of them. That totally sucks. It responds to pitchbend, sustain, and something else. That's literally it.

2) As I was telling EP before, I sequenced some notes in Cubase, and when you go to play them via MIDI to the module, the on-board sequencer starts playing. No clue how to fix, but the workaround is just to mute all the notes the on-board sequencer plays. I assume that the "start song" info that gets sent from Cubase triggers the JU's sequencer to start. That's the suckness.

3) This is only a minor quibble, and I knew it going in, but these units are SMALL. Which means the throw on the sliders is not very large. Sweet spots are easy to miss.

4) Mini jacks. I also knew this going in. No external power supply aside from micro USB. Also knew that. Went to Best Buy and bought a 6ft AC--->Micro USB adapter. Works awesomely.

My praises:

1) Sounds AMAZEBALLS.

2) While the sliders are small, they are surprisingly resistant, which nearly negates the inconvenience of their small size. It's easy to miss a sweet spot, but it's not impossible to hit it, either.

3) Heft. It's heavy for its size, which is good. Construction seems legit. The panel facing is metal.

4) Sounds AMAZEBALLS.

I can't comment on any USB connectivity because I haven't, and likely will never, try it.

For the $300 it cost, the sound is worth every dime. I only wish it had better MIDI implementation. I really hate I can't do filter modulations from Cubase. That really blows.

Mike's Rating: 4/5 stars.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:59 pm

I figured it will fit perfectly on top of the (empty) right side of the Electro 2 and control it with the Electro, eliminating the need to bring a separate board to gigs for synth. It even looks like it will fit in the front pocket of the Nord gig bag, eliminating a trip at load in/out. I will likely make a jig to place it in a tilt position as well. I'm selling off lots of synths right now, and somehow bought one too...I'm not very good at dumping gear.

I won't be triggering it with a daw, and I only need note on/off midi really. My gripe is putting the Master Volume as a trim in the rear; thinking about trying to move that. Also will be opening it immediately to void the warranty, and see if I can manage a 1/4" output, and maybe input. I'm happy to drill the case and run leads to the board if I have to (wouldn't be the first time).

Now I won't have to ignore Mr. The Suit's JP8, I can just not play this one instead.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 am

Well that sounds like it will work perfectly for you, especially with the mods. Me, it'll just be for studio use, so the lacking MIDI is kinda a let down. Still. I love it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to KSS